Respected Contributor

Re: Sleeping only on your back to help prevent wrinkles?

I had heard this years ago and my nail tech claims that she does this. She looks great but she is 47 and I am 68.So maybe if I am still around when she is 68 then I can see if it really worked. I simply cannot sleep on my back. A month ago I had my 50th class reunion and was nervous thinking that all of my classmates would have looked like they found the fountain of youth. Well actually I was the one that was asked what I was doing because I had not aged. It was quite a compliment but seriously I don't look like I did 50 years ago. So much of what happens to our bodies is hereditary. My Mom lived to be 95 so maybe I have her good genes. BTW when she died in February, she looked like she was in her 80's and she was not a back sleeper.

Honored Contributor

I started doing this when I became pregnant with my first; had to as it hurt too much to sleep any other way. Kept it up because it hurt my boobs while nursing. Then, another pregnancy and more nursing and then another and.....

....it's how I sleep now.

Honored Contributor

No sleeping on back or no sunscreen, 

but eat tons of fruit/veggies/leafy greens!

No wrinkles.

Beauty comes from within.

🌼🌽🥒🥕🍐🥦💚

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Did not know that..though I sleep on my back and I don’t have many wrinkles...

I also grew up in sunny Southern Ca at the beach with no sunscreen and never used moisturizer till I was  50...I am now nearly 60.....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I doubt anyone remains in one position all night long. 

Respected Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

I have heard this, too.  Makes no sense to me; either you are a back sleeper or you are not.  Not something your body will allow you to change.

Never mind wrinkles, I can’t do it and sleeping on my sides causes great pain since I have 5 pinched nerves in my neck. I wake up in terrible pain.

Esteemed Contributor

I think there really is something to this. Luckily, sleeping on my back is most restful to me. If I do go to a side, it is only momentarily. Your skin may crunch, crease & fold otherwise, especially if it is losing its natural firmness.

But I do not necessarily attribute non-wrinkles to sleeping on your back.

As many have said over and over, it's a total package: good diet, exercise, good environment, no bad habits, good rest, good mental & spiritual attitude, proper caring for your skin -- wherever your skin is at -- that's about as preventative as you can get. I wouldn't know how to train your body to just sleeping on your back. It probably can be done, though.

Valued Contributor

I've seen more than one YouTube "beauty guru" tout this, too. Then they provide a link for some weird looking pillow. Pricey too, of course. I like my Botox and fillers, but I'm sleeping on my side.
Honored Contributor

Oh, just sleep however you want to sleep...lol  If you are going to get wrinkles, you are going to get wrinkles.  Live long enough and we all get them to some extent.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I think wearing sunscreen works to prevent wrinkles...not sleeping on your back.

Sunscreen does not prevent wrinkles due to the natural aging process.  Sun screen helps lessen sun damage which leads to premature wrinkling and that dried "alligator" skin look.