Honored Contributor

I have used this for many many years...  10 at least if not more.... not often. Maybe once a month... it never irritated my skin until this week.  I did my usual wash... applied the Derma peel  left it on for a few minutes and then added water and did my circular motion  to exfoliate.

For the first time my cheeks became very red and irritated after rinsing and it lasted a couple of days... my usually clear skin looked like I had rosacea on my cheeks.   Now three days later it is much better... I applied copper P serum from Isomers  which I would think would help with the irritation. My skin is normally very clear with no redness at all so this was concerning to me.

It looks much better today.  Guess No More Derma Peel for me.  I will use it on my elbows and hands only now.  Too rough for my skin anymore. 

I guess as we age we need to adjust what we use and stop using what is not working.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden 

Do you use Retin-A? 

Respected Contributor

Sometimes your face just decides to reject something it used to like.  I had that happen with Peter Thomas Roth unwrinkle anti aging cleanser.  Used to be my holy grail cleanser now it's like napalm on my face.  Too bad I've got bottles of it sitting around. Maybe I can wash my car with it.

Honored Contributor

DermAppeal is another exfoliator which uses baking soda...it's the second ingredient listed in the deck, below magnesium crystals. For me that just sounds too harsh for my skin.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@SeaMaiden 

Do you use Retin-A? 

@SilleeMee   Yes....I use it every OTHER  night...not prescription strength...just ROC night cream. Maybe that made my skin sensitive.  

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@SeaMaiden 

Do you use Retin-A? 

@SilleeMee   Yes....I use it every OTHER  night...not prescription strength...just ROC night cream. Maybe that made my skin sensitive.  

Yes, that's very possible. I use Retin-A which is stronger than what you are using and my skin has become sensitive. It can get red very easily. I have to be very careful with rubbing my skin with anything. @SeaMaiden 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@SeaMaiden 

Do you use Retin-A? 

Yes, that's very possible. I use Retin-A which is stronger than what you are using and my skin has become sensitive. It can get red very easily. I have to be very careful with rubbing my skin with anything. @SeaMaiden 

@SilleeMee  Good information! Thank you!🙂

Super Contributor

I stopped using it a few years ago, but as I recall it was highly scented.  Dr Dray recommends avoiding scented products on your skin in order to minimize allergic reactions.   I didn't know, as mentioned by Silleeme. it had baking soda in it, but something else I would not intentionally use.  I mostly use ordinary sugar now.

Honored Contributor

Although I do find Dermappeal to be harsh, my real issue with it is the overwhelming peppermint and menthol smell, I can feel it permeate into my lungs. 

Respected Contributor

I do think that scrub is on the stronger side.  Reminds me of ExfoliKate.  I think they are similar the way the feel and both have a strong scent.  And you do need to be careful with it.  I only use it about once a week and don't go to town on the scrubby part.