Trusted Contributor

Re: Skinn Dimitri James next show after Christmas

Doubtful he'll go back, he burnt a lot of bridges. I remember him mentioning that he'd made the deal to go to HSN and was so excited and happy but had to hide it. The other channel couldn't have appreciated that. Then he goes to HSN, changes everything, raises prices and finds a lot of competition. Unfortunately, Skinn has seen its glory days...

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wishmoon wrote:

Doubtful he'll go back, he burnt a lot of bridges. I remember him mentioning that he'd made the deal to go to HSN and was so excited and happy but had to hide it. The other channel couldn't have appreciated that. Then he goes to HSN, changes everything, raises prices and finds a lot of competition. Unfortunately, Skinn has seen its glory days...

Well that's true. I'm not sure if Isomers was "competition" for him. Certainly he has more at HSN. I wonder if he'll be at QVC too? 

Regular Contributor

Here we are heading into year end and the extremely limited appearances on HSN over the year has been such a huge disappointment; one can only guess how awful it has been to Dmitri. Even winning all the categories Skinn was entered in for customer favorites has had no effect. 

Purchases at the last channel clearly depended mostly on his special kits that were offered monthly. Without the kits many of his products are too expensive for many. Dmitri always used to talk about how his being the manufacturer meant that his prices were much better and he wanted to keep his products affordable for many....no longer can say that.

There are so many competing lines at HSN; many do no offer much in the way of kits but they will offer deals that are much better than 10 or 20% off. Perhaps the Skinn products sold were disappointing in the first few months. Hard to imagine that if things were great there is no way HSN would give Skinn virtually no time during the very critical selling months at the year end. Don’t know how Dmitri can make an inroad since he has no control over time or pricing.

Right now the Beekman marketing machine are promoting their upteenth Special of the year. Sad because their products are high priced products containing very little goat milk. Their $60 Bounty box contains lots of cardboard with one  9oz soap bar, 2oz jars and tubes in big boxes, a tub (really 8oz is a tub) of cream and 8oz wash. They get hours and hours.

Esteemed Contributor

@CHEXThat's just how it goes in television shopping.  The networks are going to jump on the hot bandwagon even if it means cutting out on air time for old favorites.  I hope  Perlier's Thanksgiving weekend shows have some good set configurations. Their usual October anniversary shows were a disappointment (in terms of values and special sets).  They had a select few gallon bottles of their bath and shower gel in October, but unlike in previous years the gallons were not available in every scent.  It's actually a little less than a gallon, but that doesn't matter for this conversation. I'll probably buy one of the Honeys before the price break ends, but I would have loved another gallon of Snow Drops. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CHEX wrote:

Here we are heading into year end and the extremely limited appearances on HSN over the year has been such a huge disappointment; one can only guess how awful it has been to Dmitri. Even winning all the categories Skinn was entered in for customer favorites has had no effect. 

Purchases at the last channel clearly depended mostly on his special kits that were offered monthly. Without the kits many of his products are too expensive for many. Dmitri always used to talk about how his being the manufacturer meant that his prices were much better and he wanted to keep his products affordable for many....no longer can say that.

There are so many competing lines at HSN; many do no offer much in the way of kits but they will offer deals that are much better than 10 or 20% off. Perhaps the Skinn products sold were disappointing in the first few months. Hard to imagine that if things were great there is no way HSN would give Skinn virtually no time during the very critical selling months at the year end. Don’t know how Dmitri can make an inroad since he has no control over time or pricing.

Right now the Beekman marketing machine are promoting their upteenth Special of the year. Sad because their products are high priced products containing very little goat milk. Their $60 Bounty box contains lots of cardboard with one  9oz soap bar, 2oz jars and tubes in big boxes, a tub (really 8oz is a tub) of cream and 8oz wash. They get hours and hours.

Sadly, I agree. Well said. I love D and Skinn but the lack of kits and of course the higher prices so we can have "free shipping" has been disappointing. I will still buy Skinn but I will be more diligent in finding the best deals possible. The same goes for Beekman. I'm on the AD for their box and will continue until this last box. I'm not in denial about the wastefulness of the box itself. I've posted about it previously. We are obviously paying for the beautiful packaging. I will say the seasonal set this year in terms of fragrance has been exceptional but in the big picture it's wasteful, IMO. I'll wait for the next announcement of the Beekman box. I might just skip the AD next time. As with Skinn the prices have increased for some Beekman items so we can have "free shipping." It's been a silly selling tool, IMO.