Super Contributor

Re: Skinceuticals, Mad Hippie, or which serum?

A vote for NCN Vitamin C:

Vitamin C+ Serum With Vit. E, Ferulic Acid & Glutathione

1.3oz @ $39.95

Excellent CS if you have questions. Email either before buying or after, if you have concerns. It's a small co. that doesn't have a high overhead or pricey image to pay for. Products are based on science. Excellent packaging; to preserve potency of the product.

Go to ncn.com and read to improve your understanding of what to expect.

You can call and ask for samples.

I also use PC products. Everything I said about ncn also applies to pc.

eta: Go here to read specific info: http://ncnskincare.com/vitaminserum-c-28/vitaminserum-with-vit-e-ferulic-acid-glutathione-p-207

Valued Contributor

On 5/11/2014 hyacinth003 said:
On 5/11/2014 MarbellaSpain said:

I personally don't think it's a fair comparison at all. Skinceuticals CE Ferulic is a far superior product. It brightens my face and I have no issues with scent or how it feels. The only negative is the price.

For more than 2 months now, I have been using Mad Hippie Vitamin C and I see no difference in my skin. It's $25 on Amazon, so that's a good thing. I will not repurchase it. I think I will give it 3 months until I go on to I think Paula's Choice Vit C. If I like PC, great, if not, I am going back to Skinceuticals.

Sometimes one needs to try/use to see how it works for them. You can't always go by other people's reviews.

I don't remember where I read this, but a few people said Skinceuticals product smelled like bacon!

I can't say I think that, but it does have an odd scent. I use it with a couple other products and it feels sticky.

Hyacinth

Yes the Skinceutical product does smell like bacon! I don't care for the smell, but have been happy with the results,
Super Contributor

What don't you like about the feel, hyacinth? Too sticky? Too runny? What type of texture do you prefer?

Users of all these brands can tell you the texture of what they're using -- that might help.

But ultimately, as always, we have to try for ourselves. I DO think that you'll be able to find one you like for much less $$$ than Skinceuticals. And the ingredients in those listed here are really good.

Good luck!!

Honored Contributor

That smell of bacon is the ferulic acid. It's nothing to worry about it.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

On 5/11/2014 suzyQ3 said:

NCN's Vit C+ serum includes ferulic acid. I've never gotten a whiff of bacon???

Trusted Contributor

I'd suggest trying SkinActives vitamin C as it has both ferulic and phloretin acid in it. The premixed version is at 15% and the DIY kit is at 20%. I've bought the DIY kit twice & I liked it a lot. Here's a list of the ingredients:

Premixed:

Water, Ascorbic Acid (L) (Vitamin C),Glycerin, Hyaluronic Acid, Ferulic Acid, Phloretin, Pomegranate Seed (Punica granatum) Oil, Tocotrienols, Vitamin E Oil (Alpha-D-Tocopherol), Astaxanthin, Lycopene, Lutein, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Beta Carotene, Xanthan Gum, Lemon (Citrus limon) Extract, Orange (Citrus sinensis) Extract, Citrus Essential Oils, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol,Sorbic Acid.

Mix Your Own:

Serum: Water, Glycerin, Hyaluronic Acid, Ferulic Acid, Phloretin, Pomegranate Seed (Punica granatum) Oil, Tocotrienols, Vitamin E Oil (Alpha-D-Tocopherol), Astaxanthin, Lycopene, Lutein, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Beta Carotene, Xanthan Gum, Citrus Essential Oils, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Sorbic Acid.

Powder: Ascorbic Acid (L) (Vitamin C), Lemon (Citrus limon) Extract, Orange (Citrus sinensis) Extract.

Runs $15.50.

QVC lost a lot of my posts too!
Trusted Contributor

NCN's also contains MAP which is another form of Vit C that is known for being very gentle. I ended up going with NCN due to their ingredient deck which I liked. SkinActives also looks to have a diverse ingredient deck and is not one I have seen mentioned here very much. For the DIY, do you just add the Vit C to the serum once you're ready to start using. They appear to have the exact same ingredients (other than the difference in ascorbic acid levels) and you only quoted one price so am assuming they cost the same ( may be assuming that incorrectly however) They have multiple Vit E's which you don't see all the time plus Astaxanthin which is a great antioxidant. I'll have to check that one out when I'm due for replacing. Does it come in a dark container with either a pump or dropper for dispensing?

Honored Contributor

On 5/11/2014 Irishrose136 said:

Do you detect any smell at all? If so, some people describe it as a bacon-ish smell. I've seen it in reviews of different Vit C serums. And then one reviewer on PC's site mentioned it when reviewing PC's Vit C, and customer service posted a reply saying that it was ferulic acid.

I hadn't thought of it until reading about it. But now I can see how some might think that faint scent is bacon-ish. Whatever it is, I don't mind; in fact, I sort of like it.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

On 5/12/2014 suzyQ3 said:
On 5/11/2014 Irishrose136 said:

Do you detect any smell at all? If so, some people describe it as a bacon-ish smell. I've seen it in reviews of different Vit C serums. And then one reviewer on PC's site mentioned it when reviewing PC's Vit C, and customer service posted a reply saying that it was ferulic acid.

I hadn't thought of it until reading about it. But now I can see how some might think that faint scent is bacon-ish. Whatever it is, I don't mind; in fact, I sort of like it.

I am presently using the NCN Vit. C serum and yes, I do detect a whiff of something, most probably the ferulic acid ingredient, it doesn't really smell like bacon to my nose, lol. The whiff of odor dissipates quickly, though. No big deal.