Respected Contributor

Skinceuticals CE Ferulic - talk me off beauty ledge

Got an email from a beauty website offering 30% off.

I am currently using Timeless Vitamin CE Ferulic acid for about $25.

I have used Skinceuticals for a LOT more money.  I hate the smell and the price!  It would be $162 minus 30% off.  At least over $100 for this product.

But, at these prices, Skinceuticals HAS to be better, right?  All the dermatologists and
"beauty editors" recommend THIS ONE.

Talk me out of (if you can) that this formula for the higher price MUST be better!!

Hyacinth    Cat Frustrated

Honored Contributor

Re: Skinceuticals CE Ferulic - talk me off beauty ledge

[ Edited ]

You hate the smell and the price for the Skinceuticals? If so, I think that would be enough to stop you, especially if the TImeless is working well for you. If Timeless isn't working well and you don't mind paying the price for Skinceuticals and you loved the results, then buy it. There is usually always at least a 20% off coupon for it on one site or other.

And no, just because something is double or more the cost of other similar products does NOT mean it is better than the cheaper version, especially if you compare the ingredients and they are similar. That is certainly what they'd LIKE you to believe and is part of the marketing stategy.

Honored Contributor

@hyacinth003 wrote:

I have used Skinceuticals for a LOT more money.  I hate the smell and the price!  It would be $162 minus 30% off.  At least over $100 for this product.

But, at these prices, Skinceuticals HAS to be better, right?  All the dermatologists and

Talk me out of (if you can) that this formula for the higher price MUST be better!!

Hyacinth - you're smart enough to already know the answer, you don't need to talked out of anything by us.  If you're looking for C, E, and Ferulic, try Mad Hippie Vitamin C Serum for a lot, lot less.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Get off the ledge. I purchased it at my derms...did nothing, was expensive and to my nose smells like bacon. I did use the whole bottle. Would not waste my time. The derm no longer carries it if that gives you a clue.

@hyacinth003 wrote:

Right now I am trying SkinMedica TNS Essential Serum I purchased there. The jury is still out. $$$

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hyacinth003 wrote:

Actually, the Timeless contains a higher percentage of vitamin c than the Skinceuticals (20% vs 15%), so a case could be made that the Timeless is more effective.

Honestly, if the Timeless is working for you and is so much cheaper, I wouldn't even be tempted by the Skinceuticals.

Respected Contributor

Hyacinth,
It's nothing but branding. Their formula or ingredients are no better. In fact, they may very well use the same ingredient end source as any other brands. Don't do it! Step away from the false ledge, GF!
Honored Contributor

@hyacinth003 wrote:

There's no such thing as the more costly a product is,  the better it works!!!

Besides, just HOW can you seriously consider a product that costs too much ... and smells bad?

Just forget it !! 

Super Contributor

Many Dermatologists consider the Skinceuticals CE ferulic to be the 'gold standard.' I just learned of it....splurged and purchased it....I like it but don't love the price. The smell disappates quickly. Smells like hot dog water. Was watching The Budget Dermatologist on YouTube and she prefers the Drunk Elephant version. It's still pricey but about half price of the Skinceuticals. Never tried Timeless but it seems to be popular & a good one.

Honored Contributor

Old thread from 2015.

Trusted Contributor

Here's what i use based on the ingredient deck 

Mad Hippie Hydrating Nutrient Mist $19.99

Water (Aqua), Vitamin C (Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate), Glycerin, Sodium PCA, White Tea (Camellia Sinensis Extract), Hyaluronic Acid (Sodium Hyaluronate), Ferulic Acid, Green Tea (Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract), Hesperidin, Grape Seed Extract (Vitis Vinifera), Ginkgo Biloba Extract, Pomegranate Seed (Punica Granatum Seed Extract), Resveratrol, Phenethyl Alcohol, Steam Distilled Lime (Citrus Aurantifolia Extract), Sorbitan Oleate Decylglucoside Crosspolymer, Caprylyl Glycol, Beta-Glucan, N-Acetyl D Glucosamine, Ethylhexyl Glycerin, White Pine (Pinus Stobus Bark Extract), Glycine Soja (Soybean) Sterols, Japanese Pagoda Tree (Sophora Japonica Fruit Extract), Milk Thistle (Silybum Marianum Fruit Extract), Alpha Lipoic Acid