Valued Contributor

Skincare advice for a darker skin tone with acne!

I'm trying to help find something to help a gal with a dark skin tone who's not on the computer. She breaks out regularly and wants to help that and also help fade the dark discolorarion the acne leaves on her face after it heals. Are there any reasonably priced products that you have had success with for these issues? She has tried a St. Ives scrub and the Queen Helene Mint Julip mask for the acne, but they don't help as much as she would like. Thanks!

Super Contributor

Re: Skincare advice for a darker skin tone with acne!

A well formulated BHA product should help with her acne. Paula's Choice has several to choose from and she could call them for recommendations. I think a well formulated vitamin c serum would help fade the scars. I am currently using ASDM Beverly Hills 15% MAP Vitamin c serum which is $30 for 2oz with free shipping and is in a tinted pump bottle. I highly recommend it. Paula's Choice has a good vitamin c serum but I wasn't crazy about the packaging and the form of vitamin c she uses in it, L-Ascorbic acid, causes irritation for me.

Super Contributor

I would go to the ASDM of Beverly Hills to check out the different products. They show a woman with problem skin and her testimonial. Don't let the name scare you, the products are very reasonable.

One testimonial is a woman of color.

New Contributor

The Aveeno line of skincare has some great products for this issue.

Honored Contributor

Check out acure Organics website. They have products by skin type (acne prone, oily, combo, etc.) Their products are very nice and under $20. Purchase at iherb.com or luckyvitamin.com for discounted prices. Whole Foods also sells in their stores. The products & line does not care what color you are.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

P.S. For specific acne products, check out Burt's Bees. They have good spot products without all the chemicals.

kindness is strength
Contributor

Perhaps many don't know...women of color have specific issues that are not always addressed by major cosmetics or treatment companies. Doesn't have anything to do with ""caring what color you are."" It is unfortunate that identifying an issue that doesn't reflect one's own identity is so threatening to some.

New Contributor

I am a woman of color and had bad acne. My dermatologist recommended Aveeno along with the prescription I use.
Respected Contributor

On 6/10/2014 pw said:

The Aveeno line of skincare has some great products for this issue.

I love the Aveeno line.

Honored Contributor

On 6/10/2014 profrobb said:

Perhaps many don't know...women of color have specific issues that are not always addressed by major cosmetics or treatment companies. Doesn't have anything to do with ""caring what color you are."" It is unfortunate that identifying an issue that doesn't reflect one's own identity is so threatening to some.

What are those issue?