Honored Contributor

I have been dealing with dry skin on my face with dry patches all over. They seem to come & go. I was wondering if I have Rosacea, Dermatitis, Psoriasis, Eczema etc.??? I have read about each of these online & does not sound like any of them so still trying to figure it out.

Since I have been gone almost 3 wks I was using soft water every place I stayed. My face was about cleared up when I left & did not flare back up at all until 3 days after I got back home.

Do you think our hard water could be what's causing all my problems with my skin on my face & scalp. No problems with other parts of my body from the hard water. Coincidence or Not?

Thinking about buying a filter for our shower.

My face was so bad I applied vaseline all over my face the past 2 nights to get rid of the dry patches. Only thing I have found to help with the dry patches. It seems to slough off with a washcloth in the morning after using the vaseline.

Honored Contributor

Sounds terrible! Maybe you should go see a derm dr. But also sounds like your water is to blame too. 

Honored Contributor

Did you use exactly the same skincare routine while you were away?

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Re: Skincare/Water

[ Edited ]

If you think the problem could be your water then I would check the pH of your water. You can buy pH test strips from the drugstore. Make sure the strips will read a range from about 5 to 10-ish...it will be on the label or ask the pharmacist. Pure water has a neutral pH of 7 and that's perfect but most of us living in the US have hard water, varying in pH.  If your water is truly hard then it will read above 8.5 and that can pose a problem for some people. If your water tests at a pH of less than 8.5, then your problem is most likely something else.

Trusted Contributor

When you say "you were away" when using the soft water and now you've returned home, what were the varying climate's you were both in and have now returned to?  If it was the same geographical location for the most part I would consider you looking at the varied hardness of water, otherwise not.   

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz

Well,  that's not good.

Do have your water checked.  We had an issue with our water heater, such that it was pumping out iron sulfide which decays into hydrogen sulfide.

I can tell you that it was NOT good for my skin, hair, or nails. We had to have water heater replaced.  It was still under warranry - WHEEEE.

I posted about the whole ordeal, was a while ago, if you want to look it up.

Good luck.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

Well, first maybe you should see a dermatologist.... 

We had a whole-house water softener installed a few years ago and having soft water made quite an improvement in our hair and skin. (or, getting rid of our hard water made the improvement)

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@Porcelainwrote:

Did you use exactly the same skincare routine while you were away?

@Porcelain Yes I did. I use Isomers Glutathiosome in the morning & her RPur at night along with Aveeno Eczema lotion.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMeewrote:

If you think the problem could be your water then I would check the pH of your water. You can buy pH test strips from the drugstore. Make sure the strips will read a range from about 5 to 10-ish...it will be on the label or ask the pharmacist. Pure water has a neutral pH of 7 and that's perfect but most of us living in the US have hard water, varying in pH.  If your water is truly hard then it will read above 8.5 and that can pose a problem for some people. If your water tests at a pH of less than 8.5, then your problem is most likely something else.

@SilleeMee The City sends out their yearly report on water but who knows how accurate that is.

I can buy some of those strips. Used to use them with the pool.

I know we have hard water from the buildups you get if you dont keep it clean. It's not good on the plumbing either.

My hair always looks better when we are not home. I can tell if it's soft water because it's hard to rinse the soap off & always feels like it's still all over you after you shower no matter how much you rinse off.

Honored Contributor

@Drythewrote:

@Nightowlz

Well,  that's not good.

Do have your water checked.  We had an issue with our water heater, such that it was pumping out iron sulfide which decays into hydrogen sulfide.

I can tell you that it was NOT good for my skin, hair, or nails. We had to have water heater replaced.  It was still under warranry - WHEEEE.

I posted about the whole ordeal, was a while ago, if you want to look it up.

Good luck.

@Drythe Never thought about it being the hot water heater. I know DH won't want to replace it unless it goes out. I know it's old. Last time it went out he was taking a shower that suddenly went cold. LOL!!! You should of heard him yelling.