Honored Contributor

Re: Skincare/Makeup Brands You Love or Hate or Both

I like to try different lines, and there are things that I love and not love so much from lines as well.

I will say that I used to really love Smashbox, BE and Bobbi Brown for many many years, and now have gotten away from them exclusively, although I still like a lot of things from these lines, but like to try new products, especially when it comes to makeup.

Honored Contributor

I would have to say that I don't like Philosophy.  Tried different things - Purity face wash, etc., but each time I tried their cleanser and moisturizers, after a while my face had  a gray tone to it.  Even with exfoliating.  So done with that.

Love Paula's Choice!  Use cleansers, moisturizers, serums.  Also have been trying a few CeraVe products as a less expensive alternative to some of Paula's Choice products and have been very happy.

Makeup - I am all over the place.  A little of this, a little of that so can't really respond about that.

Honored Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

Don't like anything Olay. I use it for a couple of weeks and my skin will be dry and peeling. Lately Clinique Dramatically Different Lotion is super greasy after a couple of hours. Maybe because it's so hot everything gets greasy.

@Meowingkitty I have had better luck with the Clinique yellow gel formula, the clear gel, and the pink gel one that comes in a jar.  I was never a big fan of the original yellow one. 

Honored Contributor

I love everything from Fenty I've ever tried.  Probably about 6 products.  

I've loved everything from Colourpop I've tried (too many to count).  Same for Tarte and Two Faced and Hourglass and The Ordinary (except the AHA/BHA product).  Tatcha as well except for one product.  A mask that inflamed my face.  

Drugstore makeup...I wouldn't go as far as to say I hate it.  But I've used it my entire makeup/skincare wearing life till a couple of years ago.  What "they" say about it being the same as higher end makeup/skincare...not true.  So while hate is too strong of a word, I will never go back to drugstore brands if I don't have to.  I've used both.  Higher end wins hands down and every "dupe" I've tried failed so I don't waste my time and money on it anymore.

Honored Contributor

Let me add that I'd be more than happy to do with less higher end products to makeup for buying drugstore.

Esteemed Contributor

The only brand that I can Say that I 100% hate....is Drunk Elephant. One time, I bought several of their highly rated, expensive  products at one time and gave them a try. They comp!etely broke my face out -  big time! My face NEVER breaks out and I never have bad reactions to skincare products....except for when I tried Drunk Elephant. It literally took me weeks to get my face back to normal. I returned all Drunk Elephant products for a refund. Terrible brand and products!!!!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

I've done my share of experimenting, and just stick to what works best for me.

In skincare: Alpha, Devita, Principal Secret, GoW (for their oils) - principally

In makeup: IT, Ready to Wear, Gallany, and way too many lipstick brands

Really nothing to hate. Just things I would never purchase again and a lot of lines where I don't think I'm missing a thing.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good morning @Sooner . I have used Skinceuticals skincare for almost 10 yrs. I have their day moisturizer, night one for dry skin, an exfolitating scrub (that one is a bit harsh) and their eye balm for day and night. Bobbi Brown cleanser and PTR acid pads in the AM and Retin A at night. I'm a creature of habit and usually stick with products I like and work for my skin. I don't use others, but DO experiement w/ some brands for clients (samples).

I haven't found drugstore skincare that's as good for my skin. 

Makeup: I have used many waterproof liners, but disappointed in Mally's...think she changed the formula. IT liners do drag in spite of their claims that they do not. I use either BB Gel Liner or Urban Decay 24/7 pencils, Tinted moisturizer from BB, CT Filmstar bronzer, and BB or Trish McEvoy correctors and concealers. If I'm "doing up" for a night out, I use BB's Serum foundation like @ECBG. 

I haven't liked MAC's foundations and others that feel heavy. BB also has foundations that are full coverage I personally stay away from. My clients seem to love Estee Lauder Double Wear, but a little heavy for me. 

Eye Shadows: I returned a Carmindy trio...just didn't like it. This is one category where I don't go by brands, but palettes with colors I know I'll wear and have little fallout. I have MAC, BB, and my fav everyday go to palette is Natasha Denona Glam palette.

Mascara is plain old L'Oreal Voluminous or Lash Paradise (a bit lighter weight). I also use lip liners from the drugstore...Wet N Wild or NYX.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I’ve tried several Paula’s Choice products, something there just doesn’t agree with my skin.  

Make Up -  ILIA - mascara, lipstick / BE - CC

Otherwise I try different things.

Skin Care -  Ordinary, Maelove

Skin Care & Make Up - SuperGoop SPF + A bit of tint.

Enjoy reading other’s favors.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Lately, I've become quite content with less expensive brands; ELF, NYX, Milani, L'Oreal, QRx, CeraVe, a couple of Korean brands.  I still go a little overboard sometimes, but overall I'm not spending anywhere near what I used to and I can still enjoy my routines and doing my face.