Honored Contributor

Re: Skincare From the Inside Out?

Yep. I could swear I ingest more supplements than food sometimes.

- Collagen peptides

- Hyaluronic acid

- Phytoceramides

- Pycnogenol (antioxidant that always gives my skin a nice, slightly iridescent sheen)

- Polypodium leucotomos (to reduce sun sensitivity from topical retinoid - NOT a replacement for SPF)

These supplements have other benefits besides just helping the skin, so I feel I'm helping my joints and everthing else by taking them.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My lifestyle is a from the inside out approach to health and beauty.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wonder if collagen supplements, like grass fed type ,really helps your bone health ,aches and pains.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@Shepherd wrote:

FYI.............your DNA may have more of an impact on your skin than any product available on shelves. Of course H20, healthy, balanced diet, low stress the usual helps.

I wonder why, then, why my sisters' skin and mine are so different from one another, since we are 100% sisters?  I'm sure sun exposure has played a part in that, but the sisters don't do much of anything skincare wise and the looked older at the age I am now than I currently do.

@JeanLouiseFinch  My sister and I have totally different skin... both in color, texture, etc.  Our hair is different too.  I used to think that if one of us did the  Heredity kit it would give us the results for both of us.  Not true.  We each get a differnt percentage from each parent which makes each of us uniquely different.  

I've been taking Andrew Lessman's vits since he first appeared on QVC around 30 years ago.  I am now taking the marine collegen.  I think the combination of GENES, sun, care from the outside and care from the inside are all important.  I also know that stress and attitude contribute as well.  

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

I wonder if collagen supplements, like grass fed type ,really helps your bone health ,aches and pains.

Nope.

In fact, being an animal-based product, it causes more inflammation.

Respected Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

There have been studies showing it helps with osteoarthritis, aids in gut health (being anit-inflammaroty in that capacity), and improves skin elasticity.  

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Nope.

In fact, being an animal-based product, it causes more inflammation.

@sidsmom 

Do you have a source for this?

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

I have been taking Verisol collagen pills from Puritans Pride, very good, skin is looking good and my nails have never been longer or stronger andt hey have added thickness. Cant say it has done anything for my thinning hair. May also try Phytoceramides.  

Esteemed Contributor

I've always believed that what you eat shows up on your skin.  An unhealthy diet = bad skin.  Healthy diet + lots of water = good skin.    Just my opinion, but from the 'inside out' does not mean taking a bunch of vitamin supplements. 

What @Shepherd said!  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Super Contributor

JeanLouiseFinch:

@Shepherd wrote:

FYI.............your DNA may have more of an impact on your skin than any product available on shelves. Of course H20, healthy, balanced diet, low stress the usual helps.

I wonder why, then, why my sisters' skin and mine are so different from one another, since we are 100% sisters?  I'm sure sun exposure has played a part in that, but the sisters don't do much of anything skincare wise and the looked older at the age I am now than I currently do.

Good questions to ask your dermatologist. Most derms agree about DNA & beautiful skin vs. product. 

As some have said, siblings have DNA from both parents, we have different life styles, environments etc. Good research on this if you care to investigate.