Honored Contributor

Skincare From the Inside Out?

[ Edited ]

I admit it, I'm a skincare junky.  I happily purchase my favorite products and actually enjoy performing my AM and PM routines.  I especially love it when I can get a steal on a TSV and then be able to set it up on an auto delivery plan.  However, I recently watched a video by Dr. Layke that compared two sisters who he originally thought were mother and daughter.  The better looking of the two had clear, youthful, wrinkle free skin.  She wasn't one for detailed skincare routines or much makeup but the thing she was doing differently was taking specific supplements - collagen, saw palmetto, and hyaluraonic acid.  It started me thinking about maybe giving that route a try.  I already drink a good amount of water and take a marine collagen supplement but not the other two.  Giving up all of my products would be an adjustment, but it might also be liberating, if I can do it.

Has anyone here opted for an internal approach to their skincare?  If so, what are you taking?   What is your external routine now that you're taking supplements for skincare?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Skincare From the Inside Out?

I took Saw Palmetto and it made my stomach sick and dried out my finger nails. I swear by drinking a lot of water. I set out 4- 16 oz water bottles a day and drink them. (These are not disposable water bottles) 

I was not raised with feminine influences so I never wore makeup. I have always from the age of 16 to now used moisturizer. Oil of Olay as a teenager then on to better for me products. I will say right now I swear by Sunday Reily products. What a difference in the texture and appearance of my face! Are my wrinkles gone, no, but I earned them and as long as my face is not dry I don’t look bad for my age! Good luck in your journey. Keep us updated. Oh and please use sunscreen!! 

In case anyone cares the Sunday Riley products I use are Good Genes and Luna. I am not dedicated to one moisturizer. 

Love Goop for sunscreen. ❤️

Honored Contributor

I have never used supplements but I do know that drinking a lot of water is excellent for your facial skin.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

For me, in general, my diet has always been an important part of staying healthy. Though today at my age of 63 and a diagnosis of scleroderma (AI disease), I've had to supplement my nutritional needs with supps. I would say most of the supps I take can be considered to be good for my skin...that would make sense. Good health is reflected in your physical appearance...your hair, skin and nails. 

But to be more specific about exactly what supps I take to target better skin, there are a few that I can mention. Here's my list of 'beauty' supps:

- Phytoceramides

- Vitamin C powder 

- Vitamin D

- Hyaluronic acid powder

- Bamboo silica extract powder

- Matcha pure powder

Since taking the phytoceramides, I'm having to apply less moisturizers than before I started taking them. As for the rest of those supps, those are pretty much taken to help protect and preserve my skin and hair rather than try to change things....more of a maintenance kind of thing.

Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch   I believe in the shotgun approach!  I've been taking a boatload of vitamins and supplements since I was in my 20's (I'm now 70).  I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, and I also (like you) have a complete skin regimen for both morning and evening routines.

I think all these things work together to improve (or at least maintain) our looks, but if I had to pick the most important, it would be sunscreen on the face!  I run outdoors all year around, and am lazy about my body, but I always make sure my face is protected from the sun.  I have to use self tanner and a darker makeup just to make my face match my body!

Whenever I have doubts about this, all I have to do is stand naked in front of the mirror.  There are two (very white) round areas right in front that have never seen the sun, and they are still as smooth and soft as a baby's behind!

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch  I take Andrew Lessman's Phytoceramide supplements.

Though I was born with great skin (thank you mom and memere) I am in my late fifties and starting with some slight crepey skin especially in the neck area.  I recently started to take this and have seen a slight improvement, though I think as more time goes by they will  help more.  I am not a big makeup person and I always use sunscreen.  Read about it on HSN , it's very interesting and something I hadn't really given much thought to until recently, but it makes total sense.

Regular Contributor

FYI.............your DNA may have more of an impact on your skin than any product available on shelves. Of course H20, healthy, balanced diet, low stress the usual helps.

Honored Contributor

@Shepherd wrote:

FYI.............your DNA may have more of an impact on your skin than any product available on shelves. Of course H20, healthy, balanced diet, low stress the usual helps.

I wonder why, then, why my sisters' skin and mine are so different from one another, since we are 100% sisters?  I'm sure sun exposure has played a part in that, but the sisters don't do much of anything skincare wise and the looked older at the age I am now than I currently do.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

Has anyone here opted for an internal approach to their skincare?  If so, what are you taking?   What is your external routine now that you're taking supplements for skincare?

@JeanLouiseFinch 

Internal approach to skincare?

Every single day of my life!

When I completely switched over to a Whole Food Plant Based diet,

my skin tone became more translucent, pores are invisible and

over production of oily skin is gone.

WFPB means no animal products, byproducts, processed foods

and oils. Lots & lots of leafy greens, as well as lots of starches & legumes.

Recently I incorporated larger amounts of Omega 3s to my normal

day-to-day diet....that made by good skin better...almost glass-like. 

No supplements. They have been proven time & time again they either

don’t work and/or they are hard on your internal system. Money wasted.

Just buy the right food.  You won’t need foundations & makeup

when Mother Nature provides you with beautiful skin!

‘Eat’ your Skincare!

‘Eat’ your Sunscreen!

‘Eat’ your Makeup!

Respected Contributor

I've been taking phytoceramides for a while and I do find my skin doesn't need as much moisturizer as it did before.  I also take hair skin and nails caps.  I bought the collagen but haven't been successful in getting myself to make a solid routine out of it.  Laziness I guess.  I think all these things do help.  My nails especially used to be brittle and peel and now they're healthy.  Skin looks good, hair grows in fast.  I think it's worth the effort if you can afford it and made the time.  All the little things help.