Honored Contributor

Re: SkinCare User That Looks Great For Her Age

@bear wrote:

I will jump in.  I don't use anything except water, and sunscreen. That is it.  I am in my sixties.  Just enlarge my circle to see a pic.  Smiley Happy

You look lovely but what do you use to cleanse your skin?

Honored Contributor

My ma had nice skin until she was 97.    Unfortunately, I look like dad.   Just had Voluma today..................

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Super Contributor

@Trinity11, I use Neutorgena makeup remover wipes to remove my sunscreen, blush, mascara, eyeliner, and lipstick. Then I use a wash cloth and wash well with water. That has been my regimen for as long as I can remember

Trusted Contributor

@spix wrote:

I am what you would call elderly, & in my family (Italian) the women used soap & water, always passed for way younger than their years, so I do think genetics is the main factor, however I think we know more today about how to take care of our skin, but don't think there is a holy grail, just do what's best for you.  I myself am grateful for my genes.

spix, I'm 100% Italian and both my grandmothers used soap and water and also Noxzema, absolutely no makeup.  My omom uses olive oil soap and is 87 years young.  No one believes her age, they are shocked when she tells them how old she is, they think she's in her 60's!!!  My sister and I have also been blessed with good skin and we are always taken as being 15-20 years younger.  We are very lucky to have great genes on both sides of the family.

What I find hard to comprehend is........there are so many skin care products out there, many, many on QVC and I wonder if all or any of these products really worked, than why do some of the hosts and models have lines and wrinkles?  They have access to any product on the Q, so shouldn't they all have beautiful skin?  Have you ever seen the models do beauty shows where they show their before and afters? I guess it is more apparent since HD TV.  

I never fall for all the hype especially when beauty vendors show before and after photos of women who have used their products and I see hardly any or no difference in the after photos!  When the hosts do beauty shows, whatever product they're presenting, they say they use and it's always the best ever.  Are we really supposed to believe that?

Honored Contributor

@Luvtoshopathome Funny, when we were teenagers, Noxema was the only thing there was to moisturize. There was no such thing as a 'moisturizer'. I remember washing my face with soap and water and it would become stiff as a board when I towel dried it. Noxema to the rescue. It felt soooo good and smelled so good.

About the models and skincare. Not all people care about their skin. They might just be models and could care less about what they put on their skin. They just do their job and go home. On the other hand, I watched a talk show years and years ago and they were raving about how good this model looked in her old age-she turned to the camera and yelled, 'use those creams and lotions, girls. They DO work.' So I always did, hahahaha

Esteemed Contributor

judaline wrote:

@Luvtoshopathome Funny, when we were teenagers, Noxema was the only thing there was to moisturize. There was no such thing as a 'moisturizer'. I remember washing my face with soap and water and it would become stiff as a board when I towel dried it. Noxema to the rescue. It felt soooo good and smelled so good.

About the models and skincare. Not all people care about their skin. They might just be models and could care less about what they put on their skin. They just do their job and go home. On the other hand, I watched a talk show years and years ago and they were raving about how good this model looked in her old age-she turned to the camera and yelled, 'use those creams and lotions, girls. They DO work.' So I always did, hahahaha

Cleopatra used moisturizers.  There was a time when wealthy women had their concoctions made.  Packaged beauty took off in the 19th century.  The high end stores have sold full range beauty lines since their early days in business.  Some of the early pioneers of beauty (such as Elizabeth Arden and Helena Rubenstein) may not have offered the sophisticated items we think of today for skincare, but they had soaps and creams and masks.  You had to go to stores like Saks (or whatever your local high end store was) to find it.  Drugstores had some stuff too, but mostly things like Pond's Cold Cream and as you said Noxema.

In response to the original question no one guesses me for being a retired age person.  I know it starts with good genes, but you have to take care of what the good Lord gave you. I'm glad I listened to the argument for wearing a hat in the sun. In the precurser days to sunscreen products that helped.  When I was 12, Mom took me to the Red Door (Arden's skincare and beauty salon-- or these days we would call them a spas).  Istarted using Cinique in 1969 and also having facial treatments at Adrien Arpel's (which were located in high end department stores). For those who may not know she now operates as Adrienne on HSN with her Signature Club A brand.  

Super Contributor

I have been using sunscreen regiliously since my 30's. Wish I had known about it sooner as in my teens I had a couple of very bad burns. I use Isomers Retiniacin at night and am starting to love some Bare Minerals skin care products. Their tinted primer with SPF 30 is wonderful and I love their Posh Cleanser. I also love Laura Geller's Etheral Rose to create an all over glow. I am 63 and keep thinking how did I get here? Time goes so fast.

Regular Contributor

@NeNe1010

NeNe, I turned 60 this last year and I think the same thing! How in the workd did I get here?!?

Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@bear wrote:

@Trinity11, I use Neutorgena makeup remover wipes to remove my sunscreen, blush, mascara, eyeliner, and lipstick. Then I use a wash cloth and wash well with water. That has been my regimen for as long as I can remember

Thanks for the reply. When you said you used water.....I knew that something else must have been involved. I like the Neutrogena wipes also. They are so convenient!

Valued Contributor

I know I've posted before that the decade between 50 & 60 was when I saw dramatic changes. I've been taking care of my skin since I was 12. I have friends who have never used skincare and they look as young as I do. I also know many who look alot older. Genetics is major.
But anyway back to my original thought. I'm now 61 and achieving results with products is definitely more challenging. I've managed to find some that work/ help but not all are created equal like they used to be.
I do think for many people that skincare and make-up are like a hobby - and I may be one of those people.
For now - I will continue to use because I enjoy.