Trusted Contributor

SkinCare User That Looks Great For Her Age

Do you know anyone who followed a rigorous skin care routine in the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, etc and looks great for her age? I just really want to know if all we do pays off! My mom always used sunscreen and she instilled it in me. That is why I have felt naked without it since I was 14. In fact, it was the first thing I ever bought at Sephora. My mom looks great for her age and can easily pass as someone 15 years younger.

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: SkinCare User That Looks Great For Her Age

If I may say so myself - ya, me!   Clarisonic - Dr. Perricone for forever and now NuFace.   - humidity machine all winter and avoid the sun when I can.  I can not believe how blessed I am and I won't see 69 years old again.

Respected Contributor

I am what you would call elderly, & in my family (Italian) the women used soap & water, always passed for way younger than their years, so I do think genetics is the main factor, however I think we know more today about how to take care of our skin, but don't think there is a holy grail, just do what's best for you.  I myself am grateful for my genes.

Honored Contributor

@spixI agree that genetics is the most important factor in giving us good skin --and every other body part.  Sunscreen, no smoking, little alcohol, and basic good health are probably equally important.

My mother never used expensive skincare - not money for that.  I also don't remember her ever using sunscreen.  However, she did wear a hat most of the time when she worked outside, never smoked or drank and maintained a steady weight all her life.  She had few wrinkles until cancer hit about the time she turned 81.

Luckily I seem to have the family genes, and as a young woman I did not pay any attention to skincare beyond careful cleansing.  Part of that would have been economic, but the other part is that all the research about anti-aging has come about after I already had aged! 

Cleansing is still very important to me, but lots of gentle cleansers work just fine.  I love the aroma and feel of Purity, but I do use others.  Also, now that I'm in my 70's, I use layers of moisturizer morning and night. 

Does it work?  Guess so.  Just Sunday at a Superbowl party I sat talking to a relative stranger who was complaining about aging and turning 65 soon.  I'd say she was genuinely surprised when I told her I'd turn 75 about the time she hit her next birthday!

Trusted Contributor

My mom did.  Even when she was sick in the hospital, I heard nurses comment they thought there was a mistake in her chart because she looked so much younger than her age.

My dad also had beautiful skin on his face, and he did not take care of his skin at all. 

Do the math.
Respected Contributor

@millieshops, you sound just like me, whatever works for any of us is good.

Super Contributor

Where are all the pics?

Beauty blogger and YTer who loves it all! Cheers, Lulu Bea aka Lulu On Beauty - Let's be FACEBOOK beauty friends!
Respected Contributor

I was blessed with good genes too, from both sides. My parents did nothing special for their skin but always looked younger than their years. When my teenaged son and I were spotted in a shopping mall by one of his friends one day, he later commented to my son that he didn't know he had a sister!

Honored Contributor

There is definitely something to genetics, to having skin with more melonin.... which helps to hydrate the skin naturally and protect it from the sun.  Unfortunately for me I am Scots-Irish-English and have virtually no melonin.  

I remember my Mother's best friend telling me when I was about 14 to always use a moisturizing cream on my face and neck as well as sun screen and to stay out of the sun.  That was easy because I became a blister in the sun when out too long, even WITH the sunscreen (some up to 50).  But I've stayed out of the sun most of my life, the sun on my skin actually hurts so avoiding it has not been hard.

I've always used a moisturizer and thanks to the Q have been able to try all kinds of upper end creams.  And my Mother's best friend is now in her 90's and has gorgeous skin.... and she used to be a redhead so I think there IS something to taking care of one's skin the best we can.  Woman Happy

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Super Contributor

I will jump in.  I don't use anything except water, and sunscreen. That is it.  I am in my sixties.  Just enlarge my circle to see a pic.  Smiley Happy