Honored Contributor

There are numerous home remedies that can be used to remove skin tags. Some worked for me, some did not.  I've had my derm remove several.  My last visit she said insurance will no longer cover removal of simple skin tags.  She charged a flat fee of $50 to remove 4.  To me it was well worth it.

Personally I would never allow a non medical person, licensed or not, to remove anything from my body.

@Poodlepet2

I read the post you are referring to and thought had someone else posted it, a certain poster would have been all over him/her.

Honored Contributor

I was in my doctor's office one day when she impulsively asked if I want my skin tags removed.   I had at least 20 on my neck.   She had a student working with her that day and the student did the deed under supervision using something like liquid nitrogen.   It was painless and in two weeks there was no sign they ever existed.   I figured that's what the spa poster had used on her.   It seems harmless.   I'm sure it wasn't reported to my insurance. 

I use AHA  everyday on my neck and when I feel a tiny new tag forming,  just scraping it with a fingernail removes itdue to the exfoliating properties of the AHA.  

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Kachina, I'm fine with that. I'm fine with OTC remedies: liquid nitrogen is now sold as a wart remover-I don't know if it's for skin tags.....but you also had a licensed physician diagnosing you and supervising your treatment.

I have major problems with a salon-other than a Medical Spa with a Board Certified Physician on the premises- owning and using a piece of equipment designed for a very specific purpose that was designed for use by those who are in the surgical field or who are licensed, trained and authorized by their State Board of Licensure to engage in surgical practices. Cauterization is in the surgical realm.  There are very real safety concerns regarding the grounding of a Bovie-and it's operation and maintenance.

I am really in shock-and I can't help but wonder what other scurrilous practices these people are doing......well, thanks to places like this, shows like "Botched" will continue to get story lines.

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

Kachina, I'm fine with that. I'm fine with OTC remedies: liquid nitrogen is now sold as a wart remover-I don't know if it's for skin tags.....but you also had a licensed physician diagnosing you and supervising your treatment.

I have major problems with a salon-other than a Medical Spa with a Board Certified Physician on the premises- owning and using a piece of equipment designed for a very specific purpose that was designed for use by those who are in the surgical field or who are licensed, trained and authorized by their State Board of Licensure to engage in surgical practices. Cauterization is in the surgical realm.  There are very real safety concerns regarding the grounding of a Bovie-and it's operation and maintenance.

I am really in shock-and I can't help but wonder what other scurrilous practices these people are doing......well, thanks to places like this, shows like "Botched" will continue to get story lines.

Poodlepet2

My first thought when I read the poster who had the skin tags removed was that she is diabetic. Isn't a diabetic at more risk for infection than the general population? I really think your posts addressing this practice are a service to the community that posts here. Thanks for your knowledgeable posts here.

Respected Contributor

Trinity-that's another thing that floored me. She has said she has diabetes-and is on chronic prednisone-( a set up right there for opportunistic infection)-and that she is a recently retired RN....I don't get it.

We are all adults and we can decide for ourselves, but sheesh-to be an RN and give no thought to what's being done to you???? 

On another level, it bothers me because we get many visitors here from other states and Europe.  If they go to one of these "shady" salons, they will see State of Florida issued esthetician licenses for things like nails. It's the law: licenses have to be displayed. So, they think they are in good hands.....maybe they are offered services like discounted Botox or Juvederm.....they don't feel the need to really look at that blue piece of paper on the wall and see what that license is for....and they think they are safe.  It's a sobering thought, but worse than that, it's a reality.

By the way, my kudos to you. You give a lot of well researched information that is always worth reading!Smiley Happy

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

Re: Skin tag removal

[ Edited ]

It depends on the size of the skin tag  A very small one can be cut by your doctor (PCP).  Sometimes they use the freezing method.  i was in Walgreens a week ago and saw a Homeopathic skin tag remover.   :catvery-happy:

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor
My skin tag experiences are I grew one, it drove me nuts, and cut it off with cuticle scissors which I had dipped in alcohol. It bled, so I swabbed the area with alcohol. Afterwards, it healed without a scar. (I am not recommending this, I don't know if I was just lucky.) My co-worker tied dental floss around hers. If fell off and healed without a scar. My mother has a number of them so I sent her to the derm. (I was not willing to take a chance with my Mom.) He burnt them off, and they healed perfectly.
Do the math.
Respected Contributor

I have removed them using thread, tying them tightly. I als removed several with apple cider vinegar. I had several in the same area, (area slightly larger than a quarter). I applied the vinegar with a cotton pad, held in place for a few minutes for about 10 days, they ALL disappeared. I am currently lightening an age spot with AVC also. 

Respected Contributor

Tx, I love ACV: many positive things have been attributed to it-not all of which can be verified but if something like ACV works, what is not to love?

Might I interest you in a refreshing glass of Apple Cider Vinegar cocktail? My day starts with 2 tablespoons of ACV in 8-10 oz. Cold water. I read about it's use and it's role in possibly decreasing insulin resistance by activating a particular protein kinase. It's one of my secrets for controlling my diabetes-and it, in concert with everything else I do, seems to be working.

Great tip!

Poodlepet2