Honored Contributor

Skin sensitivity, aging and giving up products.....

[ Edited ]

Mods, if you believe this should be located in the Wellness forum, please move. I'm posting here because we discuss skincare and issues with our skin as we age. : )

I've noticed over the past few years that my skin is far more sensitive than it was before menopause. Products that worked would stop; products that never caused itching, redness, welts, burning, etc began to; skin feeling tight instead of hydrated; etc. are becoming more the norm than the exception. Due to skin cancer in family, I've had many suspicious looking moles removed; I'm also extremely pale and my skin does not like the sun so spf is no-brainer...however; most spf's burn my skin so I see a dermatologist regularly.

In our conversations, the topic of skin care, anti-ageing products and getting older come up along with the sensitivity issues. Her summary: getting older does cause problems due to lack of hormones and the body changing (think dairy, wheat issues you never had and now you do) and having an auto-immune disease is huge cause for sensitivities as well. You can be fine one day and react the next (I have 2 of them...great). Anything potent like a serum, retinal based or products similar are a BIG problem. Bottom line: give UP ALL the anti ageing products, wash your face with a mild (newborn mild) product, hydrate and use an spf 50. Accept the wrinkles, the lines and the sagging.  Also, foundation is often a culprit so give that up as well. Exfoliation is a huge no-no; use a washcloth GENTLY every other week. 

And that was that.

I'm not willing to do that. Yep, I'm vain. Looks like I'm going to miserable for a LONG time.  Ok, maybe not....but I'm not going to have 30 different products so I can rotate, you know? As I figure this out, I'd like to know if any of you ladies have/are experiencing the same issue and if so, what did you do/what are you doing? TIA!!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Skin sensitivity, aging and giving up products.....

Yes, some products no longer work wether it be skincare or makeup.But I totally disagree that you should give up everything & accept aging. I never will. I’m always looking for new products . When something stops working I try something else. I use gentler products.

My skin looks good. I get compliments all the time. I don’t look my age & will never just throw in the towel.To each their own of course.This is JMO!!

Honored Contributor

I thank op for this thread, i have became much more sensitive this pass 4 yrs. , i do not use make up at all,only tinted spf.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

You can look older or be dead.  Frankly, I prefer the former.

I cannot use any product with Avobenzone in it.  I break out, itch and get red spots.  Shiseido and some others have products without it.

Most anti-aging products break out my skin and make it red.  The fewer harsh things I use the better.  A, E. and C are good for my skin.  Some things I buy at health food stores and Whole Foods--they are milder and have fewer harsh chemicals in them.  Read lables.

In reality, I have far bigger issues than my skin, so I do the best I can and am thankful I am still alive to look older.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thinning skin, decreasing numbers of fibroblasts (it's called 'fibroblast collapse' usually caused from sun damage/normal aging) and less collagen can translate to sensitivity, especially when it comes to using active ingredients like retinoids and vitamin C serums. When the skin becomes fragile with age it becomes less able to process stuff at the cellular level which can lead to irritation...that stuff you put on your skin has no where to go and it just sits there causing inflammation and dryness. OTOH, if your skin's cellular matter was young and active then this is usually not the case.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee  Sadly, yes. You wrote it out beautifully and simply for all to understand. So, what do we do if tropicals are ALL we can use? I'm not a candidate for injections and fillers due to the aforementioned auto-immune diseases. 

I wish this would be addressed by the skin-care industry because I know I'm not the only one and the boomer generation DOES care about their skin/appearance. I'm not a boomer (Gen X) but yeah, I do too. Being thrown into menopause due to surgery did a HUGE number on me...geez, did it ever. Let me just say that my docs did NOT prepare me for this....mess. 

In any event, I'll have to find super gentle products that still deliver I suppose....

Respected Contributor

I stopped using scrubs.  They are too hard on my delicate skin.

Clarisonic once a day with a soft brush on my face.  Shaving arms and legs, and a washcloth on the rest of my body in the shower works for me.

My skin is in great shape for my age.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm 64 and when I went into meno my skin got dry and it started looking less plump...that's what happens when fat and collagen become depleted from the effects of less estrogen in the body. The best thing I did was to be diligent with wearing sunscreen. I also started using glycolic acid products and Retin-A to help will cell turnover which helps with collagen production. I also use a dermaroller to help keep my skin stay smooth. It's just not one thing that I do to help keep my skin looking healthy and the best I think it could be, but rather a combination of several things including eating a healthy diet. @SahmIam 

ETA- In 2002 I was diagnosed with the AI disease scleroderma. 

Honored Contributor

I sometimes have  what i call flare ups , my face becomes very sensitive , it actually burns, at that time i can not use certain products.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

My mom has rosacea, and I don't want to develop it too, so I've been cautious about my skincare for a long time.

• I don't over-exfoliate. I think (unpopular opinion) that most people waaaaay over-exfoliate and that just doing so gently once a week is plenty.
  • I avoid fragrance in most of my products, only making exceptions for special products that have no unfragranced alternatives. Limiting exposure means I am less likely to suddenly develop a sensitivity.
  • I maintain my skin barrier by (again) not over-exfoliating, but also by using ceramides and biomimetic ingredients in my final moisturizing cream layer.
  • I use mineral physical sunscreen as a last step and don't allow sunscreen to penetrate into my skin. I know from long experience that chemical sunscreen irritates my skin.
  • I always use products with antioxidants and soothing botanicals alongside my anti-signs-of-aging ones. That way I'm not just freaking out my skin cells to wake them up without calming them.
  • I don't use products with any form of denatured alcohol in the first 2/3 of the ingredient deck.
  • If a product makes me itchy or makes my face feel odd, I just stop using it. I don't push it even if logically there should be no problem with it.
  • I know which ingredients I react to and avoid them. Tea tree oil has always been a problem for me even though there is nothing wrong with it.

And that, friends, is how I've managed to avoid seriously messing up my skin so far. Your mileage will vary. And if you do things that are the direct opposite of what I've put here, that's cool! Not trying to sideways criticize anyone.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr