Honored Contributor

Re: Skin sensitivity, aging and giving up products.....

@LTT1  Do you see a Rheumatoligist?

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Drlinda wrote:

Most of the sunscreens are really rough on my skin too.  I have had tp opt for foundation without ant sunblock.

@Drlinda As I stated previously I cannot use sunblocks with Avobenzone in them.  They are terribly irritating to my face.  You might see if that is your problem.  MOST of them now have it, but you can find sunblocks without it--you have to look carefully.

Honored Contributor

I understand completely your frustrations!  I've always had fair, somewhat sensitive skin but after I went through menopause and now years later, coupled with other health issues, my skin is so thin, reactive and sensitive, it's ridicilous!  I never know from day to day what it is going to do.

I developed Rosacea several years ago --- the dreaded redness, broken caps, and then eventually I started getting these red blemishes!  I never had blemishes like this even as a teen!  

Now, for me, it's less is better!  The less I mess with it and the less product, the better.

I can't use anything with fragrance on my face.  I can't use any anti-aging products or any scrubbing products or retin products.  Too little moisturizer or too much moisturizer is bad.  Each brings a different challenge.

I use Metrocream on my face at night for the Rosacea and this really helps.  For day I use a variety of different products depending on what presents itself at the time.  It is all trial and error.  

But just know that you are not alone in your struggles!  It seems to be a pretty common issue after menopause!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

@SahmIam -I can somewhat relate to your dilemma. I am not post menopausal, but I am pre menopausal and I have definitely noticed some changes in my skin too.

Last year around April/May I was diagnosed with an auto immune skin disorder called lichen planus. (I just saw my family doc so I'm not 100% sure that's what it was) It took many months to resolve, but it did seem to finally go away. Also in May I had some sort of reaction on my face, huge hot red welts. My family doc thought it was some sort of allergic reaction. She did blood work for allergies and everything came up negative. I have no idea what I was reacting to, I never had a problem with anything ever before in my life.

I tossed a couple of products that I thought might be trouble, an spf product, a moisturizer. Eventually it went away but it took a long time and my skin seemed to be getting back to "normal". I haven't had any problems in several months.

Now this past sunday I started to get some redness and itching on my face and neck. I have absolutely no idea what is causing it, I haven't used any new products in months. Actually many of my products are close to empty. So I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do. I've cut back on the amount of products that I use, am cleanser and spf, evening cleanser and either a serum or moisturizer. That's about it. 

I just finished up a face scrub but I do have a mask here that I haven't opened up yet. But I'm not sure what to do because I'm not sure what to cut out because I'm not using anything new. I guess I'll try to eliminate my serum for now, see if that makes a difference. I have to use a cleanser and spf, don't know what else to try. I am always very careful trying something new because of my experience last year, but I don't have anything new here right now, It is extremely frustrating. 

I haven't seen a dermatologist so I appreciate you sharing what your derm recommended. I will just have to cut back to the absolute bare minimum and see if it resolves again like last time. 

Valued Contributor

I am 64, red haired and fair skinned.  I have rosacea.  I was really stupid as a kid and spent many days at the pool, burning until I was red as a lobster.  My skin would peel and I would go back and do it again after it healed.   I am truly thankful that I am not full of skin cancer.

I feel your pain.  Hang in there.  I used Bare Minerals skin care until the new company bought them out and found that I couldn't use or afford them anymore. I have experimented with different oils and I use Palmer's for the face or Accure Marula .  I also have switched to washing with Goat Milk Stuff soap and swear by First Aid Beauty cream.  Finding things that work is not "one size fits all".   I also have a skin autoimmune disease besides rosacea that occasionally flares up.

Regular Contributor

Thanks, sooner.  I will check on that.

Frequent Contributor

What kind of Dermaroller do you use? I've been thinking about one but I don't want to pay for BeautyBio version. 

Frequent Contributor

I'll be 70 in November (where did the time go?) Anyway, I find that my skin has changed a lot. A lot Retional just burns and does nothing. I'm using Dr. Gross' Ferulic Acid and Retinol night which works well. Also, many items just will not be tolerated anymore. Dr. Denese's Pads make my skin burn for days, so I use PTR Max Correction pads instead. I use a bunch of stuff at night. I'm always experimenting. Will it work? Will it burn? Will cause milia? etc....I refuse to just give up. I'll will not just wrinkle away

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee 

At about age 55, I started feeling “brain fog” acutely.

I ignored it because teaching was all-encompassing daily from 3 am until crashing each day at home in bed at 5 pm. WHEW!

Truth be told, I should have pursued this with a doctor back then.

I remember telling a fellow teacher-friend, I felt like I could hear fuzzy “static” in my brain!

At this time probably if I had been paying closer attention, my skin problems had started up.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~