Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

@Shanus--that very well may be, but I never have my chest exposed--I have no breasts due to cancer so I try to cover as much as I can as my chest is not a pretty sight after all the surgery. Maybe you can see around my collar bones and maybe 2 inches below, but my tops are crew necks mostly. But then thats me--DD's  neck and  chest and her face all match with the foundation. 

@wagirl. I’m so sorry you went through all that. Hope you’re in the clear now. I can relate (somewhat) since I chose to have a double mastectomy at 50. My breasts were quite cystic and although there was no cancer, the docs could no longer read the mammograms and ultrasounds clearly enough to “catch” anything in the early stages. Since there was no treatment involved, especially radiation, I chose to have reconstruction, but still have the same scars most likely that you do. 

Valued Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@DrakesMomma wrote:

Remember when going to a department store and having your color done was a thing?  My high school best friend took me for my birthday.  The make up lady was so excited I was "a true winter".  My friend was envious.  To this day I have never understood why.  Being one shade darker than Wonder Bread is difficult.  And sometimes painful.  

@DrakesMomma  I feel like wonder bread w/o my makeup on, too. Even the shade Porcelain adds color! 😲

@Shanus - I know! It's true! Without fail I will look in the mirror towards the end of December and startle myself because I am so pale.  

My son's pale game is also strong! 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus--- thank you for your good wishes--yes things are just fine--am 6 years cancer free but chose not to go thru the recon route--too much surgery, recovery time, pain,  as it would take almost a year from start to finish---am happily flat and no more mammos!!! Scars are pretty gnarly tho as my wonderful surgeon left pockets "just in case" I wanted a new pair of girls. Thinking at my 64 years, no need for new girls!!!  Woman Embarassed

Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

@Shanus--- thank you for your good wishes--yes things are just fine--am 6 years cancer free but chose not to go thru the recon route--too much surgery, recovery time, pain,  as it would take almost a year from start to finish---am happily flat and no more mammos!!! Scars are pretty gnarly tho as my wonderful surgeon left pockets "just in case" I wanted a new pair of girls. Thinking at my 64 years, no need for new girls!!!  Woman Embarassed

@wagirl  Yes, it was almost a year. Pockets made at the time of mastectomy and then tissue expanders inserted... 3 months recovery. Final implants in 2nd surgery 5 months later and another 3 month recovery. It’s a personal choice. Since it was done 20 yrs. ago, most of the scars have faded, but you’re right, gnarly and still there. Badges of courage, right?

Honored Contributor

@Shanus--was hard to look at my  poor chest for a long time---decided on removing cancer breast and had good breast for almost 4 years, still needed a mammo tho, still could get cancer in it, and I decided, what a ridiculous thing to have one lonely, breast flopping around, so decided to remove the good one in 2016. Have a pair of "party" boobs (prothestics) that I HATE to wear and haven't worn them since I got them. They look very natural but are heavy and wearing a bra again is awful. Freedom from not wearing a bra  is the best.  But they are waiting in my drawer waiting to party if needed. But we do what we need to, right!?

Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

@Shanus--was hard to look at my  poor chest for a long time---decided on removing cancer breast and had good breast for almost 4 years, still needed a mammo tho, still could get cancer in it, and I decided, what a ridiculous thing to have one lonely, breast flopping around, so decided to remove the good one in 2016. Have a pair of "party" boobs (prothestics) that I HATE to wear and haven't worn them since I got them. They look very natural but are heavy and wearing a bra again is awful. Freedom from not wearing a bra  is the best.  But they are waiting in my drawer waiting to party if needed. But we do what we need to, right!?

@wagirl  Yes, each woman’s different. Cancer changes the rules. My reconstructed boobs are quite small...almost non-existent. Lol.  Most importantly, you have to be happy with yourself. 😘