Occasional Contributor
In my 60's and trying to find a good skin care for dry skin. I feel I just pick up one product after another. Want to get on a good skin program to get results. Any suggestions?
Respected Contributor

@WI CUSTOMER What results do you want?

I am 60 & I just need clean, clear skin. I have combo/easily dehydrated/breaks our from everything skin.

I have just, for the last 2 months, been happy with my skin care.

I am using argan oil (Ulta brand) as a makeup remover. It breaks down all of my long wearing makeup & waterproof mascara.

I am using CosRX Low pH Good Morning Gel Cleanser.

I am sad to say that after trying every thing ever created I am using La Mer Moisturizing Cooling Gel Cream. It is ridiculous, but my skin loves it. My skin is smooth, soft, hydrated & not breaking out.

Trader Joe's Supreme Hydrating Eye Cream. Only $5.99 & it is wonderful. 

In the day time I am using Peter Thomas Roth Oil Free Matte Moisturizer. Light hydration, I don't get shiny & it doesn't break me out.

I buy aluminum oxide crystals & mother of pearl powder on Amazon. I mix it 2 parts crystals to 1 part pearl powder & it is the perfect exfoliating scrub for my face.

Honored Contributor

Re: Skin Care suggestions

[ Edited ]

I like to recommend one of the kits sold on the Alpha Skin Care website. Their products are reasonably priced and have a long history of tried and true products. The Alpha line is all AHA (glycolic acid) based which is excellent for mature dry skin. You can view their products at NeotericCosmetics dot com. Read reviews there, too. Sign up for their newsletter and receive special announcements about upcoming sales. They don't bombard your mailbox so no worries there.

They have a 4-piece "Dry Skin Kit" for $50. Anything $25+ ships free.

Trusted Contributor

I'm in the 60 club also.. this is what helped my dry skin the most.

Farmacy- the honey oil, think its called Honey Grail.

Also use the Honeymoon glow.

..and use a couple of the cleansers.

But the oil helped the most !

~love hard~~play hard~~be kind~~~life is short~
Honored Contributor

@Dusty1 Lovin' that last exfoliating scrub...I'll have to try that!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Look into the QRx Labs brand on Amazon. They are affordable, effective, and made in the USA.  You could set up a good skincare routine for yourself and not break the bank. 

Honored Contributor

@WI CUSTOMER 

I also am in my 60s (62) with dry skin.  Breakouts aren't a problem.  I guess mostly an uneven skintone and dullness would have been my main complaints.  My complexion has gone from meh to fab with the help of products from The Ordinary and Tatcha.  Niacinamide was #1 in improving my skintone.  Cleansing with Tatcha Rice Wash, exfoliating with Tatcha's Gentle Rice Polish and then the Tatcha Dewy Night Cream.  I also use other The Ordinary products including Buffet.  My night time routine is lengthy but this is what probably helps the most.  After cleansing I start my routine with an essence (super hydration)  and will spray it between applications of other products.  For daytime, I use Glow Recipe PHA toner or Kylie Vanilla Milk toner, snail mucin and various moisturizers but the one I like the most is Tatcha Water Cream.  I'm no longer uncomfortable going out without foundation and I usually just wear a skin tint (more sheer than foundation).  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@WI CUSTOMER wrote:
In my 60's and trying to find a good skin care for dry skin. I feel I just pick up one product after another. Want to get on a good skin program to get results. Any suggestions?

@WI CUSTOMER   The brands and/or lines of skincare really can be expensive and not effective. No one line will be your "one and done" line. The steps are not complicated:

Cleanse

Exfoliate

Treat

Moisturize

Protect

I'm not sure what issues you have other than dry skin. Breakouts? Hypermigmintation? Enlarged pores?

The recommended skincare routine, in general, should include an oil cleanser to remove spf at night, some type of exfoliator (I prefer chemical instead of a manual one with grains), a Retin A or retinol product at night which with Vit.C serum in the morning helps to exfoliate, fade and even out the skin, as well as treat enlarged pores, builds collagen and protects skin from  free radicals. Of course, moisturizer is key: for dry skin I recommend a lighter weight for day and a richer one for night (alternate w/ Retin A if necessary), an eye cream day and night. Of course, the best thing you can do for your skin is protect it with a sunscreen of 40 or higher every day rain or shine. 

There will be many product recommendations here, so you'll need to put together your own routine. My products are Skinceuticals, Retin A (prescription strength) and Obagi fade system + Obagi Vit.C. I've used these products for many years and they've been effective for my dry skin. I don't wear makeup anymore...just a tinted moisturizer. 

If on a budget, expensive doesn't always mean better. ***Everything that you put on face, goes on neck, chest and hands, too.

Respected Contributor

@phoenixbrd My skin really likes my scrub. My sister puts the crystals into her face wash, so it isn't as scrubby. 

You can see we have a wide range of products & brands that work for each of us.

There are so many options available, so start with one thing at a time (Even if you buy a set of skincare to try.) to see if any one thing makes a difference.

Sometimes just switching cleanser can make a difference. Even cleanser that claims to be for normal or dry skin may not be right for your skin.

You have to pay attention to each step & see how your skin reacts.

Good luck!

Esteemed Contributor

@WI CUSTOMER  I keep my routine rather simple.  I am 60 years old and I just use Beekman triple milk soap, goat milk moisturizer, milk peel (once or twice a week) the eye cream and the oil, which I love way more than Josie Maran's argan oil.   If you put a few drops of oil in the moisturizer it does wonders for your  skin.  I am a true believer that less is more and I use "clean" products on my skin only.