Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@GenXmuse wrote:

No one said we have to use all those products. 

@GenXmuse

OP stated this right up front.

And?

@GenXmuse

😊

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Re: Skin Care Routine Compared

@ Montana wrote:

My skin care routine is fairly minimal. I feel I have very odd skin. I’ve tried cleansing twice a day but my skin looks so much better when I only cleanse once a day - smoother and more hydrated. Unfortunately, that limits the number of products I can use.

I prefer to clean my face in the morning and apply products then. At night I do nothing except use a lip treatment.  I don’t wear makeup and don’t think I would be able to do this routine, if I did. 

This works for me.

@ Montana   As I am not working and not applying makeup most days, I only wash my face once a day like you....with a creamy or oil based cleaner.  My skin does not need to be washed more than this...also, my skin is dryer now than say 10 years ago. No more breakouts.

No need to clean my skin twice a day anymore.  In lthebsummer, if I am hot and sweaty I will maybe wash twice but still with a creamy cleanser that does   not strip my skin.

Honored Contributor

I think we use all that stuff because it's readily available and we have the money to buy it. My Mom used Ponds Cold cream to remove her makeup and Dove soap to wash her face, Oil of Olay to moisturize. Mom's skin was beautiful, she stayed out of the sun,sun screen never touched her skin. My Mom had Mediterranean skin type and I unfortunately got the fair, Eastern European genes from my Dad.

Honored Contributor

For me --- less is definitely better!

If something is complicated --- forget it!

If a skin care regimen involves a lot of steps --- forget it!

It's not that I don't care because I do!

But I know how I am!

I won't take the time and I don't want to take the time.

Also, since my skin is so picky and reactive, the less I do and use the better off I am.

I veer off the track every once in awhile and then I usually regret it!

Back when I was very young, I remember my mother having practically nothing to use on her skin.  Money was at a premium.  She was blessed with beautiful skin. She did use Pond's cold cream and that was it.  I remember she had a tube of red lipstick for special occasions.  

I admit that I do read and listen and look at all types of skin care and makeup and at times I do try different things -- usually not successfully.  I nearly always go back to basic things.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

All I know is that over a decade ago I was using several layers of expensive lotions and potions on my complexion and my skin was dull with breakouts.  Now I use a layer of drugstore stuff and my complexion looks so much better and brighter.  Oddly enough, my rosacea isn't a problem any more and I haven't had a breakout in years.  Everyone's skin is different, but less is definitely more for me.  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@Fressa wrote:

A few years back I did a "make under". I have a small bathroom and even less space for all the jars and bottles of my lotions and potions. My make up is in another room. I in the 50+ and holding range and decided that Ineeded less fuss but still wanted to take care of my skin and look "decent" when I went out in public. i thought that at this stage I really don't care if I have a full face of makeup on like I did when I went to the office. 

I thought about just how many jars of "stuff" do I need for the am and the pm. Once they were empty I only re-ordered my "core" products. I did the same thing with my makeup and elimated some of these highligther, etc. I kept most items to the "universal" color shades and/or palettes to make it easier and faster.

Now a few years later, I could kick myself that I didn't do this sooner when I was working.    

@Fressa. If you’d like more counter space, I transfer all skincare to smaller bottles or jars. Not only does it take up less room, but it’s more sanitary not dipping into the larger jars every day.

Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

Now I am just the opposite of many.  I love the feeling my skin has from using all the products I do and have never felt I had to do it and I don't use all the products I do because I worry about my looks.  I just like to look and feel my best and I feel so yucky with tight burning and itchy skin without all I do daily.  My makeup/skin care rountine every day is so relaxing for me. 

Way back there were not too many options.  Thank goodness the days of dove soap (left a strange feeling on my skin) and Ponds, etc are gone along with all the heavy makeup feeling.

@Pook  You’re not the opposite of me. I’ve been known to light a lavender candle next to my sink to enhance the experience of my night time skincare. I find morning/night rituals pared down enough to be effective, easy and not time consuming. I also feel my skin looks lifeless and dry w/o my skincare....can do without the makeup, but caring for my skin is not an option.

You’re right. Science has improved and options have increased. As I find what works for me, that’s where I stop changing up. Science & new/better products & promises will continue...many are hype. I’m happy where I am. When I feel I do need to step up, I first do careful research before adding and even sometimes subtract a product. I eliminated a separate eye cream for night a few years ago. There wasn’t enough difference to warrant an extra jar and more expense.

Honored Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

All I know is that over a decade ago I was using several layers of expensive lotions and potions on my complexion and my skin was dull with breakouts.  Now I use a layer of drugstore stuff and my complexion looks so much better and brighter.  Oddly enough, my rosacea isn't a problem any more and I haven't had a breakout in years.  Everyone's skin is different, but less is definitely more for me.  

@tototwo  There’s a big myth that skincare has to be expensive to be effective...that’s part of the hype that bothers me. Many drugstore products are perfect.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

UV radiation from the sun has increased since our mothers' time. But the UV measurements taken have only been done accurately in the polar regions of the earth's atmosphere. I suspect that if there were accurate measurements done in urban areas, then that would also show an increase in UV radiation levels, meaning there is more reason to wear sunscreen now more than ever before....something our parents were not too concerned with because it probably wasn't as bad as it is now.

@SilleeMee A few generations ago, medicine was not as advanced. People didn’t live as long...passed away from diseases we can detect and cure early now. Skin cancer wasn’t even on the list. It’s now one of the fastest growing cancers.

Respected Contributor

Re: Skin Care Routine Compared

I also do the same as @Shanus...I save all my smaller jars so that I can tranfer product from the large jars. Expecially those supersized body creams. Products last longer.