Occasional Contributor

Current regimen: Cold cream make-up remover, Uplifting serum (face, eyes, neck), collogen moisturizer.  I purchased these from other sites so I left off the brands on purpose.  Now, I've been using Dr Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Medi Spa Peel once weekly as directed.  However, I'm still lacking results,  I notice some sagging around the lower cheeks causing a creepiness look.  Still notice wrinkles under my eyes and forehead.  I feel like maybe I need to incorporate Retinol??  I'm lost with all the different products out there and need some much needed advice.  Btw, I'm 40 with combo skin but tend to lean more toward oily.  Thanks fellow beauty addicts!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Skin Care Regimen....HELP!!

You sound like you're being too critical of yourself - either that or you're looking in one of those god-awful magnifiying 10XX mirrors!

I'm just trying to lighten things up a bit.  My suggestion:  give the Dr. Gross pads a bit more time allowing for results to present themself.  His line is one of the better one's here at the Q.   My next alternative would be to agree with you to incorporate a retinol into your program.  Dr. Gross' has his ferulic acid and retinol version and Paulas' Choice has a couple variations depending on your tolerance, or perhaps you might want to get a script for a prescription from your doctor. 

My best recommendation is to actively use a sunscreen, 24/7 - 365 days.  You will even begin to see improvement by use of this one item in your beauty program.

Occasional Contributor

Thank you so much for replying!  I did do a little research on Paula's choice retinol products but I agree with you that Dr. Gross has the best products from what I've used.  Do you think I could use the ferulic acid and retinol along with doing the weekly peels?  Ty again for taking the time to help me out Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Yes, I believe Dr. Gross' protocol is to utilize his ferulic acid retinol with his peel pads.  I believe you will be very happy with the results.  You're a young, beautiful girl - don't be too hard on yourself when you look in the mirror.  Lesson learned, from a self-professed skin care, beauty junkie here herself!!

Valued Contributor

If your skin tends to be oily I don't think you'd have a problem.  Just use them gradually and see how they work together maybe twice a week and then go to three times a week and see if you notice results.  Personally the only 2 things my derm swears by that actually work are daily sunscreen of 30spf and nightly use of Retin A  the dose being decided on by your derm and work up to it slowly.  Retinol no matter what percent a cosmetic company says is strong will not come close to the effectiveness of Retin A.  She feels retinol is just wasting your money.  I order mine from an online canadian pharmacy since cosmetic creams are not covered by insurance and pay  about $70 for a large tube that lasts me for months.  And I am allowed to use an creams or serums I like over it once it dries.  Just what I've been told and I'm 65 and have great skin!

Trusted Contributor

Google Beautypedia (not The Beautypedia) and you will find reviews/list of ingredients for drugstore/dept. store/online products.  I love Paula's Choice products, especially her serums and BHA.  Been using since 1995.  No jar packaging, fragrance-free, color-free, no animal testing and a 60 day money back guarantee.  She has samples.

Trusted Contributor

@Cyn74 Agree with retinol, though I prefer Peter Thomas Roth ( check Beautypedia to see why) but I'd add vitamin C and hyaluronic acid as essentials.  Moisture is key, hydration, hydration , hydration as they saw.

also agree that the 10x is of the devl and should be avoided until you're 60 and can't see a darned thing on your face without one. Enjoy your youth and be kind to yourself.

Trusted Contributor

ps.  Give up the cold cream.  

Honored Contributor

I think it's really difficult to recommend skincare products and their uses based on reading a post here on the beauty forum. Imo, the best thing to do is to consult with a dermatologist and see what options you may have. I think this will give you a better understanding of your specific areas of concern and how to resolve any issues you may have.Woman Happy

Occasional Contributor

Bless you...you are too kind and ty so much for the advice.  You have helped!