Frequent Contributor

Skin Care Line for teenage with acne problems?

We are looking for a skin line care that would be good for a teen with acne. She has been using Proactive (original formula) and it is doing okay. She is wondering if she should try the new formulation of Proactive and I am wondering if there is something better out there. We also need a moisturizer that won't break her out. Also, does she need to use an exfoliant? Appreciate any help we can get.

Honored Contributor

Re: Skin Care Line for teenage with acne problems?

Why are you asking if she is using the Proactive system, it comes with eveything she needs, including the moisturizer. She might be doing just ok because she isnt following the program or she is using additional products. My advice would be to switch to the newest version of Proactive and be compliant with their program. If she still doesn't get the results she wants, then it is time to see a dermatologist. She might need prescription medication. Also if a doctor has already diagnosed Cystic Acne, stop wasting money on otc treatments. Cystic acne is a skin disease that needs medical treatment, usually antibiotics.
Frequent Contributor

My teenager suffers with acne too. He had used the proactive line with some improvement in symptoms. I had to take him to a dermatologist because it was out of control. I would highly recommend a Clairisonic in conjunction with her proactive skin care. It will really deeply clean the pores and exfoliate.

Frequent Contributor

Thanks va603. I had been wondering about a clarasonic. It's for my niece and she is very diligent in her cleansing routine because she hates the breakouts. We are definitely looking at the newer Proactive formulation but since she is the only kid in the family using it, I was wondering if it was still a good option to use or if there was a better one. We did discuss the antibiotic route since all of us had to use that as youths. She is a freshman at college which is out of town and they need to find her a doctor. Thanks for all your answers.

Super Contributor

Yes, the Clarisonic, the new Proactive, and Bare Minerals makeup.

Also a gyno visit to be sure she doesn't have polycystic ovarian disease---which can cause cystic acne and deep scarring.

The Proactive moisturizer is good---and so is the Bare Minerals one with spf for day. Very light.

Super Contributor

I really like Paula's Choice Clear line. When my hormonal breakouts get out of control this line helps clear and calm my skin.
Respected Contributor

Please check Clarisonic the search threads at this forum for Clarisonic use w/acne; not everyone benefits from this machine and it can worsen acne. Skin doesn't purge according to my derm (Harvard magna, Duke Medical, Stanford residency), so if she uses a Clarisonic and acne worsens go see a derm ASAP. Teen acne can be heartbreaking and emotionally life altering.

Regular Contributor

Have you looked at La Roche Posay's Effaclar acne system? I've heard great things about it, and am about to switch to that from Proactiv myself. Proactiv works okay for me but doesn't clear me 100%. For moisturizer I use Aveeno's Positively Radiant SPF 30 in the morning and Yes to Cucumbers Calming Night cream at night. I also add avocado oil at night to avoid dry spots. For reference, I am 24 years old with combination skin that gets super oily in the T zone with dry spots. I should also add that I do use a Clarisonic every night to completely remove my makeup; with this I use CeraVe's foaming facial cleanser. I have maintained this routine along with the 3-step Proactiv regimen with quite a bit of success over the past few months, but like I said I am switching to the Effaclar system soon to see if that works better.

Respected Contributor

While you may find people with acne who had success with Clairsonic, I think it is a bad idea. Acne needs gentle cleansing, no tools or abrasive cleanser or rough washcloth that can be very irritating. Try a very gentle cleanser with clean hands and lukewarm water and pat dry with soft towel.

Occasional Contributor

My son had a huge problem with acne. He used the proactiv line for a little while but switched to the acnefree line from Walmart. The acnefree had cleared his face up so much better then the proactiv,and is way cheaper. The clairsonic is way to harsh for acne. You should just wash and pat dry.