Honored Contributor

Re: Since reopening has your salon increased their prices?

@RetRN I'm in southeastern, PA which is still in the red zone...no idea when our salons will open.

Valued Contributor

I really don't think my county, King Co, in State of Wa is every going to open!

We are seriously considering flying out to another state to shop, have hair colored and cut and go out to eat.  We have been sheltered in place since March - this is my 12th week working from home. My hair appt was supposed to be mid-March but cancelled and I understand - I have not had a cut/color in 18 weeks.  I never ever ever have gone nearly that long!  I know it's a small price to pay, but when everything is opening but us, it's tough! We know people who had virus, we probably did as well, can't get tested for antibodies yet - oh can't even see my derm....

Respected Contributor

No salons open in our area yet. 

Honored Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

I will be getting my haircut next Tuesday and they called to let me know the prices have increased "because of all we need to do now and the extra cleaning". 

I have to wear a mask, wait in my vehicle for them to wave me in, sanitize my hands after entering, and have my temperature checked. 

Absolutely not! My price was exactly the same. They always sanitize the salon well, even before the virus situation.

I went to the salon today and outside they took my temperature, then when I went inside they had me sanitize my hands and gave me a specially made mask that has no hooks over the ears. It covers your nose and mouth but it adheres to your face with tape on either side that has been sewn into the material. I really liked it! Made it very easy to cut my hair, particularly around the ears.

Valued Contributor

Our salon opened today and my husband had an early morning appt.  He was charged an additional $5 -- which was one time only.  Our salon has implemented many safety measures.   Between that and given how much hair was on his head after 3-1/2 months (what should have been his last appt was cancelled right at the start of the stay at home order) -- absolutely fine with us.

Respected Contributor

Intersting discussion.  I think my reaction would be based upon how much the salon normally charged.   If they were a high price salon,  then as much as I understand the cost increases and business issues,  I don't think I would be happy paying even more.

On the other hand,  if the salon charged reasonable prices,  all along,  I would have no problem helping them keep their business going when they re-open and paying a little more for the services.   

To me, it's all a matter of perspective.   I can be gracious and generous,  I just don't want to feel like I'm being taken.

My salon falls in the second category.   I hope they re-open.  I don't know if raising prices $10 will make enough of a difference to a business after being closed for 3 months and then having to limit customers by spacing them out.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RetRN   Sounds like my salon too. I had an appointment for the end of May but then I cancelled it. I colored my own hair and it went very well for me. The color came out darker but I'm okay with it.

I get them taking my temp before I walk in the door but I also somewhat resent it. They are not Doctors. They also sent me a Waiver form to fill out online, sign it and return it online. It did not address anything about the potential I could contract covid-19 if I went there but more about the dye job someome would be doing for me.

They've way lessened their staff, I wasn't seeing my regular stylist because she was not in their "phase one" of opening. I had no idea who the stylist is/was who was scheduled to see me. How did I know she was going to do a great job for me - probably why they're sending online waivers for their customers.

Price increases? This I don't know but I already pay them an arm & a leg to have my hair colored. I'm pretty sure the prices of hair dyes haven't gone up to them but more the fact that they are limited tremendously the number of customers, let's face it, they have to make back lost money somehow so let's pass the cost onto us!!!

Not sure when I'll be back to my salon. I've been grwoing out my very short haircut so I'm good with no cut needed. In fact my husband cut the very back of my hair a couple of weeks ago, then I colored it myself. Easy peasy and WAY WAY WAY less money!!!!

PS - my salon is not doing blow outs to style either. We are walking out with wet hair.

Honored Contributor

No.  My stylist and I started together back in 1996 and that was the first and last time we talked price.  I just over time added in when I thought it was time to do so.  I did add more for this first visit three weeks ago since I had not seen her since Feb.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

If my salon raises their prices, I will stretch out the time between appointments and use a root touch up.

Esteemed Contributor

@weezer111 wrote:

I hope not.  My salon not opened until june 22nd.  If you have to wash and dry your own hair like I am hearing, it is really not fair to raise the prices.  Plus, with my cut, she does half of it dry, so it probably not come out as good as it normally does.  A haircut here where I live is $90.  

Mine is the same price. Goodness, I hope they don't go up. It adds up after a while.