Trusted Contributor

Similar experience with dark spots on face

Last October through December, my derm froze for dark spots on my face all on one side. Of course when I was young, no one bothered with sunscreen so this is a result of running around at the beach with no sunscreen on. In my 40s these dark spots showed up on my face. So I was tired of looking at them last October and what visited my dermatologist. She froze them all three times but told me they would return. She also gave me a prescription for 6% hydroquinone. I do believe they are starting to get a little darker now despite using the hydroquinone. Has anyone had a similar experience? If you have used hydroquinone also, do you think it works? Because I just don't see a change in the last month after using the hydroquinone at night. I also use Elizabeth Arden City shield sunscreen. All of my makeup and a lot of my day creams have sunscreen in it. So I was just wondering if anyone had had the same experience and if so, you could give your experience and maybe some solutions that you have tried. Thank you
Honored Contributor

Re: Similar experience with dark spots on face

[ Edited ]

I had my derm use a laser on my brown spots and then she gave me a Rx for HQ 8%. Basically it was a two-prong approach to getting rid of them for good and it worked.

If you decide to go for a laser treatment, make sure it's not IPL or Fraxel. You need YAG or pulse type lasers to get to the root of the problem. Many places use IPL or Fraxel and that will only treat the surface so you'll end up having to go back when your brown spots return and they will with those types of treatments. YAG or pulse lasers get to the area inside the skin where the pigment-producing cells are located and then destroys them so there's no more brown pigment coming to the surface after that. In some cases a second treatment might be needed to completely remove those cells. But still it's a better option than IPL or Fraxel by a long shot.

Pulse or YAG lasers are the kind they use to remove tattoos.

Honored Contributor

In 1997 I woke up one summer morning with a dark spot on my cheek the size of a quarter, i panicked. made emergency appt to see my derm doc that day, put me on 4% Hydorquinone for 3 months. It was totally gone and stayed gone until last year or so. It is visible now only to me so I just use a concealer when I go out. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Midmod 

@Midmod wrote:
Last October through December, my derm froze for dark spots on my face all on one side. Of course when I was young, no one bothered with sunscreen so this is a result of running around at the beach with no sunscreen on. In my 40s these dark spots showed up on my face. So I was tired of looking at them last October and what visited my dermatologist. She froze them all three times but told me they would return. She also gave me a prescription for 6% hydroquinone. I do believe they are starting to get a little darker now despite using the hydroquinone. Has anyone had a similar experience? If you have used hydroquinone also, do you think it works? Because I just don't see a change in the last month after using the hydroquinone at night. I also use Elizabeth Arden City shield sunscreen. All of my makeup and a lot of my day creams have sunscreen in it. So I was just wondering if anyone had had the same experience and if so, you could give your experience and maybe some solutions that you have tried. Thank you

I started getting them on face and legs at the age of 33.  I am not 86 and had all kinds of derm treatment in my 70's.  The only one that bothers me is under my nose on upperl lip, but 8% didn't work with the prescription. Some have faded, but concelear hides the one on upper lip.  You can spend a lot of money and they tell you this and that, nothing worked. I hope it works for you if it really bothers you, but a good conceler works for me and didn't spoil my face.  I've seen some women with really bad pigmentation.  It bothered me in my 30's because I was in a business where looking good was the essential.  I covered it because then, they didn't have all the treatments they have today. I hate to say it, but in my experience nothing worked except makeup.  Of course at 86, I still don't look bad.  Good luck, hope something works for you, if it really bothers you.  It is called vitaligo.  Michael Jackson also suffered with it.  

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee
Did your insurance cover that? She did mention some other type of treatment but if I remember correctly, she told me that my insurance wouldn't cover it. Can anyone else do it besides a derm?
Trusted Contributor

@QVCAddiction
I'm in my mid-50s this year. I've just got too much going on with my skin now that didn't bother me before or wasn't happening to me before. I'm having issues with loss of firmness in my skin especially over my eyelids, this hyperpigmentation that just makes my skin tone ( which used to glow & was very pretty with lots of compliments) looked tired and dull, just dark circles around my eyes from fatigue from working early hours and I just don't like what I see in the mirror. I'm just methodically going through solutions for each problem area. Thank you so much everyone for all of your input! ❤️
Trusted Contributor

So about a new foundation, because I haven't bought foundation in 3 years. It is L'Oreal age perfect lift I believe is the name of it. It's supposed to be a dupe for lancome teint idole.(sp)
I really like it! It's supposed to have a lot of good skin care ingredients in it and it has also supposed to lift. And when I touch my face after applying it, it definitely does have lifting properties I can tell the difference. And I love the color it has a glow to the makeup that adds color to your face. It has great coverage and it's easy to apply it blends well. But after about 8 hours it's gone. So I guess I need to use a primer. I have researched primers for skin for ladies my age and the first option that comes up on a couple of different websites is the cover girl ageless primer. I'm going to try that and see if it helps. The foundation does not cover completely all the dark spots on my face but it does help blend so they're not so noticeable. If I can find a primer that'll cause it to have better staying power I will keep using this.
Funny enough, the only product I've used that helps lift the skin over my eyelids to give it lift and smoothing and my makeup applies great over it is a product from Adrianne arpel in her signature club a line that they no longer make and I have to buy it on eBay. But of all the skin care I products that I bought, that is the only one that works.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Midmod wrote:
@SilleeMee
Did your insurance cover that? She did mention some other type of treatment but if I remember correctly, she told me that my insurance wouldn't cover it. Can anyone else do it besides a derm?

@Midmod 

My insurance did not cover the spot removal. Only the exam by my derm was covered b/c she had to determine the cause of the spots. The spot  removal was considered to be a cosmetic one so I paid out of pocket.

Some medispa places do use special lasers but you need to check with them to find out if they are the right kind. Don't let them talk you into going with IPL or Fraxel. Those treatments might be cheaper at first but in the long run you'll be going back when your spot returns unfortunately. Believe me, I've been down that road more than once before. Took my money with no guarantees. 

Honored Contributor

@Midmod 

I've not tried the primer you mentioned but the Hourglass primer I use works very well.  It's not a gripping primer.  It smooths and blurs.  I have the Lancome Tient Idole.  It's perfection in a bottle!  I save it for more formal/special occasions where I want a more polished look as I prefer a skin tint for every day wear.

Trusted Contributor

@monicakm
I haven't bought makeup in a really long time. Of course the last two years there was no need to because I had to wear a mask everywhere. So I've not heard of the hourglass brand. So could you point me in the right direction to look at it? Maybe a website?
I just tried the second foundation that I bought this past month and it's called Eddie funkhouser. I'm amazed at the coverage and how smooth it is and how evenly it covered my face for the price that I paid for it. Only $11.99 but got great reviews.