Honored Contributor

Re: Silliness on beauty shows

I don't use her makeup anymore (except for my very favorite lipsick shade of hers), but I have always found Laura Geller to be enjoyable and informative about her products.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

I love your post if for no other reason than I figured I was the only person in the world who even notices and doesn't like these speech mannerisms. Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@hyacinth003  You should watch a fashion show by K. Gravel (I can't).  Constant interruptions, loud and so unwatchable.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

Some gossip has reached my ears that QVC is really focused on trying to appeal to millennials.  They've got us (meaning 45+) and they just assume we will continue to be loyal customers.  I'm not all that impressed with the manner products are presented on QVC these days.  Maybe they might find that the answer is going back to classy presentations with hosts and vendors who look and act professionally (in a dignified manner -- even if they are having a fun interaction with one another and us) has multi-generational appeal and never goes out of style. 

Respected Contributor

I think it's enjoyable. Better than watching all the depressing things on TV!!!
Honored Contributor

The behavior of the hosts towards the vendors “cheapens” the makeup lines. Mally and Geller, etc. are like drugstore makeup now.

When the more expensive lines are presented....Buckle, Tarte, skincare by Elemis and Perricone....there’s no fooling around.

Esteemed Contributor

When I watch actual youtube videos of beauty influencers unboxing PR swag or trying on makeup whether it was given to them or purchased by them, that youtuber is usually alone and the video is edited so there's very little silliness involved.

In a live feed or a QVC videoclip there's usually at least 2 on air people -- a QVC host and a QVC vendor. How well those two people mesh and how well those people communicate to their potential customer is what I notice. I don't think it's as easy as it looks. It doesn't help that Beauty IQ's on air graphics horizontal are poorly done to the point of those graphics hiding portions of the presentations. It's especially noticeable on videoclips that originally aired on QVC or QVC2 as those clips had the graphics on the left hand side of the screen and the camera work took that into account. Not so with the Beauty IQ channel.

Honored Contributor

I still don't think the younger people have any interest in buying from
TV.  They want to go to a store that specializes in cosmetics or a high end department store.    I know of no one under 50 that shops at QVC or HSN.  Even in a senior group I know, I don't think most of them have ever watched the shopping channels. 

Trusted Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

I watched an hour of a Laura Geller make up show while working on the computer.

The absolute silliness that went on was astounding.  What is it about makeup that makes people silly?

You would think Laura Geller was next to Mother Theresa in sainthood the way they were praising her.  You would think she invented the wheel!

The host and vendor were talking over each other and the host just never quit.  It is makeup, not a cure for cancer.

I notice this pretty commonly in makeup/beauty shows.  Why????

Hyacinth

@hyacinth003

@hyacinth003Missed that...was it on Beauty IQ?

I find it fun when I put it on (mostly with Elsie and Alberti).

Maybe I need that sometimes right now in my life.

However I can see your point absolutely and appreciate how you feel (felt that way about some hosts/vendors on Q shows presentations).

Too funny about LG being so glorified as you say..but

sometimes they get out of hand on these beauty shows.

(on Beauty IQ)..again it doesnt really bother me though...and have laughed with them at times when I can relate!

But I don't view Beauty IQ like I do with QVC "Live" programs, BIQ to me is more of a side program I switch to and many times there's good information on there for newbies to makeup and skincare as vendors can really take time on products.

@mimi5775

It was on the regular channel.  I like funny, silly is annoying.  This, to me, was silly.

Hyacinth

@hyacinth003then I missed it if on reg Q Live. IQ gets crazy funny! I don't think it's very professional when it gets like what you say on Q Live .

My son went to Heaven 4/15/2018
I love and miss him so very much. God Bless you my dear Nicky
Valued Contributor

If I think anyone is getting "out of hand"  I mute it or just put it on the music channel.  I cannot stand one of the shows on the Monday night Fashion Night In, so I do not watch that hour.  I like Laura, Mally, etc. but even they can get on my nerves. The banter is just a time filler.  If I don't like it I will not watch, and if I am really looking for something in particular I just go online as it is much faster to get measurements, colors, payment options, etc. I certainly do not want to listen to someone rattling off sizing every 3 seconds because I will zone out (I can look it up online) but I want to see the models and how the product looks while wearing.  

The Q is not going to change their lineup, they have added only two (or three?) full time new hosts over the last couple years, with a handful of others in the overnights that seem to be still in training as they are not on the Host Page.  I think that they all do the best that they can.