Esteemed Contributor

Re: Silicones in hair products

Hi @Drythe! Lol - "thinly disguised warnings." Indeed. 

This NEVER stops. Thinly disguised or straight forward attacks, they do realize pretty well that by attacking this product, they are in fact attacking it's users.

They try to imply that women who use WEN are plain stupid, or at very least - not as smart as they are. Right!

Woman LOL

They can go on and continue to insult us. Yet, women I've met on WEN board, and on some FB groups were this product is discussed, seem to be the most intelligent and on many subjects as well.  I meet women with brains far brighter than many of those attackers can dream of.  Not to mention, they are kind, friendly and compassionate. No need for these stupid efforts to doubt these women do know what's good for them.

People always show their true self through demeaning someone or something.

I'd would like to say - Non of your business, but I just say - Hey, be nice and don't start stirring this old brew again!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

First, silicones aren't all bad for some hair types and can even benefit some hair types if used properly. Especially if you have healthy well moisturized hair, high porosity, and if use a lot of heat. You just need to clarify every now and then to remove them because of buildup. It doesn't work with my hair, its wavy, needs moisturize with low porosity. Silcones cake up my hair and moisturize has a hard time penetrating. Low porosity hair can look healthy because of the products sitting on top give the appearance of shine but underneath it can be dry & damaged. Since I've decided to stop straightening my hair and go natural, giving up all silicone is part of that process. Which means i gave up my beloved WEN. I'm now using Living Proof & Decacurl and my hair health has improved and my wavy hair is slowly becoming curly. The curly girl method really works. For all of the negatives remarks about WEN, if I had different needs for my hair, it would be my top choice. If Chaz removed the silicones I would still be using it. Even though I'm no longer using WEN, I know from experience it is a good product.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I see that some people are using silicon and silicone as if they are the same thing. They are very different silicon is a naturally occurring substance which is one of the periodic elements that we learn about in chemistry is a component of sand and many other natural products while silicone is completely synthetic and is a polymer....

Honored Contributor

@segrl21, I agree that if you're going to use hot styling tools, using a silcone-based protectant is the way to go. I, too, am working on following the CG method.  

Valued Contributor

Seriously, the few people who are here taking so much time to be answering and bashing my post should not be here if they are 'so insulted'.  Seriously people get over your victim and fighting for wen mentality and let others be for Gods sake. FYI, This post was not trying to stir your pot for using or liking wen. This post was in all honesty to ask people here about silicones and no im not bashing wen or any other line in particular. I just wanted to know what people thought about silicones in products and maybe talk about the ones that dont. Im so sure Some wen products are really great and work wonders for many im sure and for others it doesnt! LIVE WITH IT!!!! You are so blind in your love of wen that you've made it your God. Im sure you worship Chaz on sundays as well at church dont you?. Unless you are a biologist or chemist who has whipped up the ingredients in the shampoos yourself at the lab then come talk to me. Otherwise, dont waste my time or yours. Some of you women get so silly for some petty ****** that its pathetic. Its a freaking shampoo for crying out loud. Open your mind and get out of your little wen holes. OK!  Its not nice to keep insulted and bashing people for having questions or opinions. 

~No act of kindness, no matter how small is ever wasted~ Aesop
Esteemed Contributor

@mintedrose - actually you were "bashing" Wen as that was the only brand you chose to name. Perhaps you should reread the ingredients in Wen products vs other products, whether they be drug store finds or top brand finds and compate the difference.

You knew what you were doing when you put that original post out there. BTW, Chaz was already here at the Q, so you are a bit late with your post.

Honored Contributor

From my perspective, the OP was asking for our thoughts on silicones and only tangentially mentioned Wen because she noted that it included silicones. It was another poster who baited with her comment about how the OP's post would rile up Wen users. That's what led the thread in an unnecessary direction.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

There is NOTHING  wrong with silicones. If it was bad companies would  not use it, They spend billions a year  to make these things.  I am 48 and never had buildup  from silicones.  Most silicones in  hair products  are designed to wash out  and not build up.  Remember hair is dead not alive lol.  I have long sexy hair and is damage free. 

Its hard to find silicone free  hair products. I do like  Matrix volume rose which is silicone free  but I do not see any hair benefits from silicone free  that make silicone free any better of a choice. Its all a matter of preference  but pretty much 99 out of a 100  of the products you use have silicone.  Shoot I noticed some brands advertise silicone free shampoo  but put silicone in the matching conditioner 

I am living proof silicone  does not hurt hair. Maybe its because I have pin streight hair  or maybe because I change out my shampoo  twice a week.  

Garnier sllek and shine serum is packed with silicones yet i love the stuff.  gives me perfect hair day every time I use it

Respected Contributor

I have wiry, dry, frizz prone coarse hair that is curly hair, but I mainly flat iron it straight so it behaves and doesn’t feel like hay!  It’s a very difficult texture so the heavy duty additives improve the texture and reduce frizz. All natural products don’t do little to help me manage my hair.  

I understand PEG (polyethylene glycol) is a cone-like additive that is water soluble so it washes out.  I read a lot and there are some additives that are water soluble but help with difficult hair, unlike dimethicone. 

Honored Contributor

The vast majority of silicones are non-water-soluble. This not an opinion. If you like and use them, just be sure to use a sulfate shampoo or at least a clarifying shampoo every couple weeks or so.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland