Respected Contributor

Silicone free leave-in conditioner?

Has anyone ever come accross a silicone free leave-in hair conditioner? I am looking for one and internet serch was kinda useless

Honored Contributor

Re: Silicone free leave-in conditioner?

I've been using this one by Giovanni. It's organic, cruelty-free, paraben-free, sulfate-free, silicone-free.

It makes my hair really soft and weightless. I buy mine at pureformulas dot com for around $6 for 8.5 oz bottle. Free shipping, no minimum purchase. Reviews are outstanding.Woman Happy

giovanni-leave-in-conditioner-hypehair.jpg

Contributor

Yes!  Shea moisture makes some. The're mid-range in price (around $12.00 I believe) but choc full of good ingredients.  Go to Ulta's website and type "shea moisture leave in conditioner" in the search bar and some will come up.  They're  also BOGO half off at Ulta right now.

Maybe someone else has more suggestions.  GL finding one you love!

Trusted Contributor

I believe all WEN products are silicone free, if you are interested - including the cleansing conditioner itself.

Honored Contributor

@fitfuninformed wrote:

I believe all WEN products are silicone free, if you are interested - including the cleansing conditioner itself.

No, this is not the case. Check the ingredients.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

I've been using this one by Giovanni. It's organic, cruelty-free, paraben-free, sulfate-free, silicone-free.

It makes my hair really soft and weightless. I buy mine at pureformulas dot com for around $6 for 8.5 oz bottle. Free shipping, no minimum purchase. Reviews are outstanding.Woman Happy

giovanni-leave-in-conditioner-hypehair.jpg

I've used that one and it's good.

Before spending money on a separate leave-in, are you already using a conditioner in the shower, @kcladyz? If so, have you tried that as a leave-in?

I've used leave-in conditioner since I was in high school and I've found that most of the time my regular hair conditioner worked as well as anything called a "leave-in" and meant I didn't have to buy a separate product.

Add it in on soaking wet hair before you blot dry and even a thicker conditioner will spread evenly and have a good consistency. Before I moved to WEN, I used Matrix Biolage Ultra  Hydrating Balm as my conditioner and leave-in conditioner. It's thick, but applying over soaking wet hair made it work. If you already have a regular silicone-free conditioner you like, give it a try and see if you like it as a leave-in.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you ChynnaBlue for clarifying that - I was too busy to check the ingredient deck to make sure!  I made that silly 'assumption' because the whole theory behind WEN is avoiding the usual cleansing ingredients, so I 'assumed' silicones was one of those ingredients, specifically because silicones provide easy "slip" .  

I've just recently stopped using WEN (and I mean RECENTLY, just 2 weeks ! ) after having used it exclusively for more than 8 years!  I was noticing thinning in my hair and wanted to test if perhaps it WAS the WEN usage causing it - the jury is still out.

One thing I WILL say is, my hair seems so much more voluminous not using it; however, I'm not as happy with the way it looks and feels.  Is it worth the trade off? I'd like to hold onto my hair, of course, so I will have to see how it goes, for atleast another month or so and then decide. 

But again, thank you for clearing up the silicone question and my incorrect answer for the original poster. 

Respected Contributor

fitfuninformed wrote:

I dont like WEN at all outside of some of the oils/styling products. I am pretty sure I saw silicones on the  labels.  I am not against silicones But I want something to pair with my silicone free shampoos.   I give my hair a break from silicones from time to time.  I am looking for something I can buy locally  and the Geovonni one looks like a winner so I am going to try to find it.  Thanks for everyones responses

Frequent Contributor

I like Unite 7 Seconds Detangler/Leave in Conditioner.  You can get it at Amazon for 23.65.  It really detangles nicely and it is a light conditioner that doesn't weigh your hair down.  I buy it from my hair salon and have used it for years.  No silicones and it is a heat protectant.  Lasts a long time too.

Honored Contributor

@kcladyz wrote:

Has anyone ever come accross a silicone free leave-in hair conditioner? I am looking for one and internet serch was kinda useless

@kcladyz I have used "Living Proof" and was pleased. Bought at Ulta.