Super Contributor

Re: Silicone & Sulfate Free Shampoo

While at Walgreens today, I picked up 3 bottles of the SheaMoisture Coconut and Hibiscus co-wash. They're 8 oz at a BOGO free deal. I'm going to give it a try tonight.

Respected Contributor

On 10/14/2014 magemay said:

When I decided to become an unWenner I tried a number of sulfate frees and found Suzanne Organics (Suzanne Somers) shampoo to work really well on my hair. I also like Acure's Moroccan Argan Stem Cell that I bought on a whim to bring a total up for free shipping and it turned out to be a whim winner. It's about $8 something for 8oz. Gotta love that. These are my 2 favorite shampoos. They're also great mixed together.

I did find a cc that I like a lot more than Wen from "Ingredients to die for", it's one of their own finished products (they formulate for private labels) from their Organicals line. It rinses out easier then Wen does and doesn't weigh my hair down.

So these are the 3 that keep my hair happy and the ones I continue to buy.

Finding the right shampoo can be tough, like everything beauty, it's usually trial and error.

Good luck!

I found that I like Bioterra cleansing conditioner (sally's), Palmers Olive Oil and Vidal Sassoon Cleansing conditioner ( both drugstore.com) to be fantastic and I love LOVE Carols Daughters hair milk. Only think that keeps me from the hair milk is i am not keen on floral scents

As far as regular sulfate free shampoo Hemptz Shampoos are quite fantastic I think its the hemp oil in it

As far as great natural ingredients I vote for Nexxus phyto organics (drugstore.com) they have sulfates but low sulfates

Honored Contributor

acure Organics has sulfate free shampoos that are under $10. alba Botanica also offers sulfate free shampoos (Gentle shampoo) is very nice under $10. Sulfates will not be found in conditioners as sulfate is a detergent. I really never knew about sulfates until I came to the Beauty Banter. Both brands I mentioned offer conditoners too. iherb.com sells both. Free shipping when you spend $20 & excellent shipping.

kindness is strength
Super Contributor

Well, I used the SheaMoisture Coconut and Hibiscus co-wash last night. Wasn't anything like WEN, at all. The scent is pure heaven, but the product is so watery, compared to WEN. I kept pouring more and more into my hand, several times, but had so much trouble distributing through my almost to shoulder length hair. I ended up adding a pump of SAM to complete my shampoo.

If anyone uses this product, I would love suggestions!

Cheers!

Super Contributor

Thank God I feel some realize that Chaz is not all their is.

Occasional Contributor

Briogeo is excellent.Sephora now carries this line.
Super Contributor

On 10/18/2014 F1wild said:

Well, I used the SheaMoisture Coconut and Hibiscus co-wash last night. Wasn't anything like WEN, at all. The scent is pure heaven, but the product is so watery, compared to WEN. I kept pouring more and more into my hand, several times, but had so much trouble distributing through my almost to shoulder length hair. I ended up adding a pump of SAM to complete my shampoo.

Cheers!

Update:

I have the 3 bottles of the Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus co-wash that I wasn't thrilled with, but couldn't find the receipt to return. Plus, I know everyone raves about this. I have a 32 oz bottle of SAM I've been using and is about halfway through. I added about 2/3rds of my opened bottle of the Shea Moisture co-wash to it and shook it up to try as an experiment. I've used this mixture 3 times now and love the results.

I washed last night, stuck it up in a ponytail and let it air dry overnight. I took it down today and as I was doing my skincare routine I noticed something different. My hair is super shiny. I mean SUPER shiny. This is what I'll be using from now on.

Respected Contributor

I have fine thinning hair and I have tried a lot of cheap and expensive products. The best for me is The Alterna Caviar RX shampoo and conditioner. They are not cheap! I buy the combo from Amazon. You can also wait until you get a 20% coupon from Ulta. The shampoo is great. It really cleans the hair. The conditioner is the best one I have ever used. Good luck. I hope you find something that works for you. I also switch off sometimes the the new Redken sulfate free shampoo. It's in the reddish bottle.
Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Super Contributor

Pureology. It is sulfate free. I use the moisture one. It is so much better than Wen.
Honored Contributor

On 10/27/2014 F1wild said:
On 10/18/2014 F1wild said:

Cheers!

Update:

I have the 3 bottles of the Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus co-wash that I wasn't thrilled with, but couldn't find the receipt to return. Plus, I know everyone raves about this. I have a 32 oz bottle of SAM I've been using and is about halfway through. I added about 2/3rds of my opened bottle of the Shea Moisture co-wash to it and shook it up to try as an experiment. I've used this mixture 3 times now and love the results.

I washed last night, stuck it up in a ponytail and let it air dry overnight. I took it down today and as I was doing my skincare routine I noticed something different. My hair is super shiny. I mean SUPER shiny. This is what I'll be using from now on.

F1Wild, good that you can use the Shea Moisture. I love their products. But did you know that putting your wet hair in a ponytail can cause damage to your hair? Anything tight on hair can be problematic, but wet hair is especially fragile. My daughter personally discovered that this is definitely true; you can google the issue also.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland