Honored Contributor

I have seen them around and just read some bad reviews on Amazon, do they work, has any one used one?

TIA

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Re: Silicone Make up Sponges

wrote:

I have seen them around and just read some bad reviews on Amazon, do they work, has any one used one?

TIA

@I am still oxox  Do you mean those Beauty Blenders or the pkg. of tear apart triangular white sponges?

Honored Contributor

@Shanus

Neither, it is called a Silicone sponge, it is a clear plastic disc

wrote:

wrote:

TIA

@I am still oxox  Do you mean those Beauty Blenders or the pkg. of tear apart triangular white sponges?

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Contributor

I got mine on Amazon and use it daily.  It takes a little getting used to but it's very smooth on your face and cuts down on the amount of foundation you use (a good thing when you use a pricey foundation).  You still have to use a  brush to blend though.  I think the best thing about it is that it's so easy to clean.  You still have to clean your brush at some point but not as often.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@I am still oxox@Shanus  Silicone sponges are different from the Beauty Blender type. The silicones feel a bit like using fingers to apply makeup, but I was not overwhelmed with the application.  It might be something that could grow on me if I continue to use that type of applicator.  Some may appreciate that the makeup does not absorb into the silicone as it does with other types of sponges and brushes.  On the other hand, I have almost completely abandoned my brushes for Beauty Blender and dupes.  I now have a variety of sizes and shapes of this type of sponge.

silicone makeup sponges:

Image result for images of silicone makeup sponges 

Beauty Blender type: 

Image result for images of beauty blender makeup sponges
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Tried the silicone sponge and hated it. It smeared my foundation and it didn’t look nice at all. I’m sticking with fingers and brushes.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]
I love the pink Beauty Blender and the orange Real Techniques. They both are really nice sponges. The Beauty Blender is a little more in cost and the Real Techniques is really affordable. The secret to using them is get them really wet and squeeze the water out of it really good. Then dab your foundation directly onto your face with your finger. Then blend with with the beauty sponge with tapping. Keep tapping until all make up is blended. Here is a link to a pretty good YouTube video that compares both sponges. https://youtu.be/ukB0k1Tv7ls Be sure to keep them really clean and keep in the open and not in a sealed container. I have a little wire container that has feet on it to store mine in. Hope this helps. I want to add: do not buy the knock offs and do not buy on Amazon, you don't know what you are getting. Use a coupon from the Ulta Store. Walmart, Walgreens, Target carries them.
Honored Contributor

wrote:

Tried the silicone sponge and hated it. It smeared my foundation and it didn’t look nice at all. I’m sticking with fingers and brushes.

@JeanLouiseFinch@I am still oxox  I’ve never tried that “sponge” & doubt that I would. I find that a brush and/or warmth of clean hands afterwards seem to do a great blending job for me.

Honored Contributor

I can't see how you can apply foundation with this silicone product.  I will stick with my Real Techniques foundation sponge.  Cat Happy

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

If you want to try a silicone makeup tool, they sell plenty of them at T.J. Maxx and Winners and they are pretty cheap. I tried one and don't particularly like it. They are basically a plastic bag heat sealed with silicone gel inside the plastic bag. They aren't anything special.