Honored Contributor

I'm 70 and wore Love's Baby Soft for years and adored it. Then I got a bit older and switched to Emeraude. Adored it as well!!

I miss them.

Oh as a young teen I wore Desert Flower, very light and pretty.

Esteemed Contributor

@mistyada wrote:

@nana59 wrote:

@fthunt wrote:

Perhaps we've become more aware that not everybody enjoys our choice.  Some women are so 'loaded' with spray - we know they are coming towards us; just hasen't come into view..  Recent experience:  fragrance was so strong it hit me in the throat so I  headed off in a different direction.  Overpowering.

recently had the same experience with overload of fragrance in a large doctor's waiting room.....very overwhelming!  what are these women thinking.....

@nana59 a woman at the allegry doctor’s office had so much fragrance on that it was still noticable several minutes after she left. People at that office have enough breathing problems without an overload of perfume. What was that woman thinking??? 

they're NOT thinking!!  especially at an allergy office!!  hope they told her that her allergy problems were directly related to her perfume!! lol.....

Honored Contributor

I am much older than you but I use to buy my mother for Christmas either Evening in Paris or White Shoulders.  White Shoulders is still around but not the other.   I use to get her fragrances at Goldblatts in our neighborhood.  

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

When   I was a teenager, a million years ago, there was a fragrance named Tweed.  I loved it and wish it would make a come back.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Sign of the times

[ Edited ]

@lOVETOSHOP:  Your mentioning of Halston reminded me of another fragrance by a famous clothing designer. Does anyone remember Bill Blass? Another favorite back in the 70's.  Also, Avon's Candid was (and still is) a favorite. It's the only Avon fragrance I like and usually wear it during the summer. 

Honored Contributor

My many years ago fav drug store fragrance was Jungle Gardenia.

Esteemed Contributor

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2018-12-18/tired-mass-perfume-market-needs-luxury-lesson-...

According to a Bloomberg article, fragrances are not the big moneymakers like they used to be. And lower end fragrances that are celeb collabs mostly don't sell very well either anymore. Thus fragrance corporations are focusing on higher end, aspirational, and one of a kind scents made on demand for an individual person. 

I'd say that fragrance nostalgia doesn't sell well unfortunately. And I sure have noticed a big jump in prices for eau de toilette fragrances across the board in Canada, even high end ones sold at drugstores, department stores, or Sephora.

Trusted Contributor

@this is my nic The Vermont Country Store sells Tweed. I don't know how true it is to the original, but may be worth looking into.

Esteemed Contributor

They don't make Charlie anymore?  Gosh, I thought it would be around forever.  I sure remember the commercials for Charlie and I even wore it for as long as it took to use up one spray bottle.

Also fondly remember Emeraude, Sand and Sable, Tweed, Woodhue, and Love's Baby Soft.   I still have nightmares about Babe -- one of my co-workers wore waay too much of it -- you could smell her as soon as she got out of her car in the parking lot! 

The one I wore for several years in my teens and 20's was Heaven Scent.  Loved it!

Like others have said, I just don't wear colognes since I retired.   I apply fragranced body lotions after my morning shower every day.  My skin always smells good, but you have to be reeeeally close to smell it on me.  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

I am much older than you but I use to buy my mother for Christmas either Evening in Paris or White Shoulders.  White Shoulders is still around but not the other.   I use to get her fragrances at Goldblatts in our neighborhood.  

@Katcat1  Off the perfume subject........but Goldblatts sub-basement on State Street had a subway platform for the Rogers Park/Jackson Park "L".  (I worked in the Loop.)

♥Surface of the Sun♥