Reply
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 7,833
Registered: ‎03-15-2010

Re: Show some love to us curly hair girls

[ Edited ]

@segrl21 

@Shanus 

 

I did stop into a salon that does "consults" and takes time to hear you.  I've had other services done there and been happy.

 

So, I have a consult at 9:45 tomorrow.  Showed them my picture of my previous curls.  I firmly believe they are in there waiting to be released.

 

Over the years, my curl pattern and texture changed, and, my once very layered hair was reduced to just TWO layers by lazy stylists.  Two layers produce just clumpy, clunky curls.  That was most of the trouble.

 

My long ago stylist will never return, so, if I am to take this journey, I have to find someone who will do a very, very layered, careful cut.  Not just two clumps. 

 

I looked like Rosanne Rosannadanna!  A bell head Cat Very Happy

 

@segrl21 

 

I have always used sulfate, silicon free hair products.  My current favorite is Pureology.  

 

Part of the issue too, when you have a bad cut, you just end up looking frizzy and ratty....as I aged, that didn't help.  I didn't want to be THAT old woman!

 

Fingers crossed for success.  I'll report back when the deed is done.  Fortunately, I've let it grow out, so I have longer hair to work with. 

 

I'm just going to make sure I watch every snip that comes off!

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 7,833
Registered: ‎03-15-2010

Re: Show some love to us curly hair girls

[ Edited ]

@Icegoddess 

 

You are lucky a perm works for you.

 

I've tried it two separate times and both times it was a disaster.

 

I'm convinced my natural curls are still in there, but need a good cut to be released.

 

I don't mind coloring my own hair, but the constant need to have it "smoothed" has me worried...am I going to be 80 crawling into the salon for a smoothing?  Cat Very Happy

 

I'd rather find a better-for-my-hair alternative.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 12,522
Registered: ‎03-19-2010

Re: Show some love to us curly hair girls


@Witchy Woman wrote:

@Icegoddess 

 

You are lucky a perm works for you.

 

I've tried it two separate times and both times it was a disaster.

 

I'm convinced my natural curls are still in there, but need a good cut to be released.

 

I don't mind coloring my own hair, but the constant need to have it "smoothed" has me worried...am I going to be 80 crawling into the salon for a smoothing?  Cat Very Happy

 

I'd rather find a better-for-my-hair alternative.


@Witchy Woman , more than likely the reason your curls are not showing is the damage done to your hair from constantly straightening it.  You should look into the Curly Girl method.  I have seen some amazing transformations.  It takes time though; it won't happen immediately.  I sometimes think about growing mine out to see if it'll curl, but then as it grows out before my next time, I can see it's just not going to although I can tell the non-permed hair is shiny and less damaged.  I follow some of the method because, even though mine's a perm, I have some of the same issues as naturally curly hair, plus, it's just healthier.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 12,522
Registered: ‎03-19-2010

Re: Show some love to us curly hair girls


@Witchy Woman wrote:

@segrl21 

@Shanus 

 

I did stop into a salon that does "consults" and takes time to hear you.  I've had other services done there and been happy.

 

So, I have a consult at 9:45 tomorrow.  Showed them my picture of my previous curls.  I firmly believe they are in there waiting to be released.

 

Over the years, my curl pattern and texture changed, and, my once very layered hair was reduced to just TWO layers by lazy stylists.  Two layers produce just clumpy, clunky curls.  That was most of the trouble.

 

My long ago stylist will never return, so, if I am to take this journey, I have to find someone who will do a very, very layered, careful cut.  Not just two clumps. 

 

I looked like Rosanne Rosannadanna!  A bell head Cat Very Happy

 

@segrl21 

 

I have always used sulfate, silicon free hair products.  My current favorite is Pureology.  

 

Part of the issue too, when you have a bad cut, you just end up looking frizzy and ratty....as I aged, that didn't help.  I didn't want to be THAT old woman!

 

Fingers crossed for success.  I'll report back when the deed is done.  Fortunately, I've let it grow out, so I have longer hair to work with. 

 

I'm just going to make sure I watch every snip that comes off!


@Witchy Woman, you might look for a Deva salon.  I understand they are pricey, but worth it.  And I thnk the added benefit is you don't have to have it trimmed as often.  I think they cut your hair dry, curl by curl or something like that.

 

Also, you might want to check your Pureology.  I was using Pureology Hydrate and found out it had Amodimethicone in it.  I now use Matrix Raw conditioner and will probably try their shampoo when I run out of what I'm using.  Also, I only actually shampoo once a week and co-wash the other days.  If I get in the shower, generally I'm washing my hair and that's every other day.  

Honored Contributor
Posts: 33,662
Registered: ‎05-17-2010

Re: Show some love to us curly hair girls

@Witchy Woman   If they take out a razor, run for your life!! 

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,826
Registered: ‎11-09-2011

Re: Show some love to us curly hair girls


@Harvard99 wrote:

@BarbiHollywood wrote:

@Harvard99 wrote:

I just posted about this yesterday.  I live in Florida and decided a while back not to fight it anymore. I have thick, dark wavy/curly hair, I finally got a great layered top of shoulder cut and I go, au natural. 

 

The hardest part is the time and money involved in finding the right products.  QVC, are you listening?


@Harvard99  I live in FL too and am at the point, too, of just throwing in the towel (ha!) and not fighting it.  I waste more time drying it (less than 10 minutes, big whoop), but I step outside and it just does what it wants anyway -- frizzzz.  If I had a dime for every product I have to combat the curl, I'd be a bazillionaire a million times over.  Can I ask what part of FL you live in?  Asking because I haven't found the holy grail of salons here in the Tampa area.  No one - and I mean no one - knows how to blowdry my hair.  I've never ever been able to get my hair done and go out, I always have to come home and re-dry my hair.  Wanting my hair "smooth" does not mean "flat."  Any help is appreciated!

 

Hi @BarbiHollywood.  I live in Palm Beach County, southeast Fl.  Nice to meet you fellow Fl girl!  Sorry, I'm no help to you for a Tampa salon recommendation. Have you looked for salon reviews on sites like yelp?

 

How long is your hair? Would you ever wear it without blowdrying it? Is it thick, thin, wavy, curly, wiry, etc?  Do you think you need a different length, style? 

 

This is my saga.  I was chained here to that blow dryer for over 20 years and 6 yrs ago I gave up.  My hair is thick, wavy, almost curly, frizzy.  Without layers it looks like a Christman tree. If I think humid, it's frizz.

 

I have the same stylist for 25 yrs, it was short/ medium, no great style, and she recommended I let it grow  to just hit my shoulders, cut layers all over, fluff it up and only blowdry the bangs. I love it, and the less heat I used, the better my hair got. I found some differnt products.  Mayb once a year, I'll flatiron it..

 

Trying to keep a really smooth look in Fl is like shoveling snow in Wisconsin with a teaspoon.  Tell me about your hair and style now. No one except us Fl knows what this is like 24/7/365/



@Harvard99  Nice to meet you, too!!  Your saga sounds like my saga except when I get bored with a stylist, I move on.  I feel guilty about it...but then it passes!  Still on the hunt for a good stylist and have stopped women on the street to ask where they go.  In fact, if you've ever tuned into HSN, host Callie Northagen always has a great cut so I've asked her!  She told me Bentley Salon (easy drive for me), but her hair is straight.  Totally not the same, as you know!!  My hair:  Picture Lisa Rinna-ish only not as good.  If only I could find someone to cut it that way.  For me, drying the back is my problem so I have a few hot tools to get the back just right.  I need to color it (I sparkle) and feel the need to blowdry it, too.  My hair is too coarse and doesn't curl well at all.  If it's longer, I struggle to get it dried and don't have the patience to do the whole section-and-clip thing.  I wanna be in and out and done.  My bangs tend to curl like a sausage so those need to be smoothed by an iron (not too hot), not that they stay smooth all day.  If I grow it out, I get frustrated with how long it takes to dry.  If I cut it shorter, I'm not happy either.  I have absolutely no idea what to do with my hair though I will pat myself on my back and say I do a pretty good job blowdrying it.  I like a little volume here, a little smoother there.  I have a hair appointment Thursday with no real plan in my head.  As always.  (Heavy sigh) The struggle is real!!!!

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,451
Registered: ‎03-13-2010

Re: Show some love to us curly hair girls

A year ago, I had my hair cut at a Deva Salon.  My nephew was getting married and I wanted a good cut by someone who knows how to cut curly hair.  We "consulted" first.  3 weeks before the wedding I had it cut and then went the morning of to style it.

 

I loved it and worth the cost.  Not something I could afford every 6-8 weeks!  Especially as I was planning to retire.  So I had it cut at a much less expensive salon since then, but it's really not the same.

 

Now that I'm working as a temp for a few weeks, I'm treating myself to another haircut at a different local curly hair salon.  Looking forward to it!

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,275
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Show some love to us curly hair girls

I am glad to see we curly girls are speaking up. There a so many products, some expensive and others not so much. I am mostly a drug store products girl for hair care. But hair changes and has different needs from time to time. My hair seems fine and lifeless right now. Plus I have some thinning. Funniest thing is so many people think since I have natural curly hair I just get out of the shower and go. HAHA not so much. People with straighter hair don't realize we spend as much time and money as they do with their hair. 

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,200
Registered: ‎06-18-2018

Re: Show some love to us curly hair girls


@BarbiHollywood wrote:

@Harvard99 wrote:

@BarbiHollywood wrote:

@Harvard99 wrote:

I just posted about this yesterday.  I live in Florida and decided a while back not to fight it anymore. I have thick, dark wavy/curly hair, I finally got a great layered top of shoulder cut and I go, au natural. 

 

The hardest part is the time and money involved in finding the right products.  QVC, are you listening?


@Harvard99  I live in FL too and am at the point, too, of just throwing in the towel (ha!) and not fighting it.  I waste more time drying it (less than 10 minutes, big whoop), but I step outside and it just does what it wants anyway -- frizzzz.  If I had a dime for every product I have to combat the curl, I'd be a bazillionaire a million times over.  Can I ask what part of FL you live in?  Asking because I haven't found the holy grail of salons here in the Tampa area.  No one - and I mean no one - knows how to blowdry my hair.  I've never ever been able to get my hair done and go out, I always have to come home and re-dry my hair.  Wanting my hair "smooth" does not mean "flat."  Any help is appreciated!

 

Hi @BarbiHollywood.  I live in Palm Beach County, southeast Fl.  Nice to meet you fellow Fl girl!  Sorry, I'm no help to you for a Tampa salon recommendation. Have you looked for salon reviews on sites like yelp?

 

How long is your hair? Would you ever wear it without blowdrying it? Is it thick, thin, wavy, curly, wiry, etc?  Do you think you need a different length, style? 

 

This is my saga.  I was chained here to that blow dryer for over 20 years and 6 yrs ago I gave up.  My hair is thick, wavy, almost curly, frizzy.  Without layers it looks like a Christman tree. If I think humid, it's frizz.

 

I have the same stylist for 25 yrs, it was short/ medium, no great style, and she recommended I let it grow  to just hit my shoulders, cut layers all over, fluff it up and only blowdry the bangs. I love it, and the less heat I used, the better my hair got. I found some differnt products.  Mayb once a year, I'll flatiron it..

 

Trying to keep a really smooth look in Fl is like shoveling snow in Wisconsin with a teaspoon.  Tell me about your hair and style now. No one except us Fl knows what this is like 24/7/365/



@Harvard99  Nice to meet you, too!!  Your saga sounds like my saga except when I get bored with a stylist, I move on.  I feel guilty about it...but then it passes!  Still on the hunt for a good stylist and have stopped women on the street to ask where they go.  In fact, if you've ever tuned into HSN, host Callie Northagen always has a great cut so I've asked her!  She told me Bentley Salon (easy drive for me), but her hair is straight.  Totally not the same, as you know!!  My hair:  Picture Lisa Rinna-ish only not as good.  If only I could find someone to cut it that way.  For me, drying the back is my problem so I have a few hot tools to get the back just right.  I need to color it (I sparkle) and feel the need to blowdry it, too.  My hair is too coarse and doesn't curl well at all.  If it's longer, I struggle to get it dried and don't have the patience to do the whole section-and-clip thing.  I wanna be in and out and done.  My bangs tend to curl like a sausage so those need to be smoothed by an iron (not too hot), not that they stay smooth all day.  If I grow it out, I get frustrated with how long it takes to dry.  If I cut it shorter, I'm not happy either.  I have absolutely no idea what to do with my hair though I will pat myself on my back and say I do a pretty good job blowdrying it.  I like a little volume here, a little smoother there.  I have a hair appointment Thursday with no real plan in my head.  As always.  (Heavy sigh) The struggle is real!!!!


@BarbiHollywood   So sorry for the delay in answering.  You shouldn't feel bad at all changing stylists, it's so HARD to find a good one.  Mine owns the shop now,  how lucky, she can't get away from me now.

 

I think Lisa Rinna has a kind of modified short shag but the bottom layer is somehow cut to flip it up.  Mine was a shortish shag, very coarse and I hurt my wrist about 2012 and just couldn't blow it.  No, LR doesn't do that blowout by herself!

 

I read a thread on here where someone was so desperate to find a new stylist that when she had time, she visited shops and just sat there and watched different stylists work on different hair. How ingenious? They asked the owners if it was ok.  They said yes.

 

I still think your problem may just be our humidity (can't change that) and wanting a smooth look.  Have you tried a keratin treatment?  There's differnt ones now.  My hair is coarse to and frizzy, but I tried a drgstore shmpoo/ cond. that worked much better for me than anything b4!  OGX Keratin OIL S&C.  Pink bottle.  I always, always had shorter layered hair, but now with longer hair and lot of layers, it has more weight, so less frizz. ( I only blowdry my sausage bangs too).   

 

If your stylist can't blow it well, maybe her cut is ?, needs to be better.  Just remember, when it comes to hair we all want what the other person has,  I really hope your hair appt goes great.

 

 

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,200
Registered: ‎06-18-2018

Re: Show some love to us curly hair girls

@Witchy Woman   Can I suggest you find a female stylist who herself has beautiful wavy or curly hair.  Only they know the pain!