Esteemed Contributor

Re: Show some love to us curly hair girls

@Harvard99 

Yes, I know that makes sense and I've had that in the past.  It has been impossible to find in my area in a LONG time. 

In other words, been there, done that....all of it...everything mentioned in this thread, all of the products, knowledge, self-awareness of what it means to have curly hair and how to care for it Cat Very Happy

Given that, I am content to find someone who can give me a good cut and make recommendations that make sense.

I'm hopeful. 

Had my consult with new, young, stylist, and she did a very limited cut that I'm happy with.  Told me we should go slow to make sure I'm happy with each step.  I liked that.

After many years of chemical straightening, I know that I have to wait for the curls to come back.   I expect it's going to be at least 6 months or longer, but I'm on my way, and that's the important part.

@KCDiva 

Wanted to apologize for hijacking your thread.  I do realize it's not "all about ME"  Cat Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@Harvard99 wrote:

@BarbiHollywood wrote:

@Harvard99 wrote:

@BarbiHollywood wrote:

@Harvard99 wrote:

I just posted about this yesterday.  I live in Florida and decided a while back not to fight it anymore. I have thick, dark wavy/curly hair, I finally got a great layered top of shoulder cut and I go, au natural. 

The hardest part is the time and money involved in finding the right products.  QVC, are you listening?

@Harvard99  I live in FL too and am at the point, too, of just throwing in the towel (ha!) and not fighting it.  I waste more time drying it (less than 10 minutes, big whoop), but I step outside and it just does what it wants anyway -- frizzzz.  If I had a dime for every product I have to combat the curl, I'd be a bazillionaire a million times over.  Can I ask what part of FL you live in?  Asking because I haven't found the holy grail of salons here in the Tampa area.  No one - and I mean no one - knows how to blowdry my hair.  I've never ever been able to get my hair done and go out, I always have to come home and re-dry my hair.  Wanting my hair "smooth" does not mean "flat."  Any help is appreciated!

Hi @BarbiHollywood.  I live in Palm Beach County, southeast Fl.  Nice to meet you fellow Fl girl!  Sorry, I'm no help to you for a Tampa salon recommendation. Have you looked for salon reviews on sites like yelp?

How long is your hair? Would you ever wear it without blowdrying it? Is it thick, thin, wavy, curly, wiry, etc?  Do you think you need a different length, style? 

This is my saga.  I was chained here to that blow dryer for over 20 years and 6 yrs ago I gave up.  My hair is thick, wavy, almost curly, frizzy.  Without layers it looks like a Christman tree. If I think humid, it's frizz.

I have the same stylist for 25 yrs, it was short/ medium, no great style, and she recommended I let it grow  to just hit my shoulders, cut layers all over, fluff it up and only blowdry the bangs. I love it, and the less heat I used, the better my hair got. I found some differnt products.  Mayb once a year, I'll flatiron it..

Trying to keep a really smooth look in Fl is like shoveling snow in Wisconsin with a teaspoon.  Tell me about your hair and style now. No one except us Fl knows what this is like 24/7/365/

@Harvard99  Nice to meet you, too!!  Your saga sounds like my saga except when I get bored with a stylist, I move on.  I feel guilty about it...but then it passes!  Still on the hunt for a good stylist and have stopped women on the street to ask where they go.  In fact, if you've ever tuned into HSN, host Callie Northagen always has a great cut so I've asked her!  She told me Bentley Salon (easy drive for me), but her hair is straight.  Totally not the same, as you know!!  My hair:  Picture Lisa Rinna-ish only not as good.  If only I could find someone to cut it that way.  For me, drying the back is my problem so I have a few hot tools to get the back just right.  I need to color it (I sparkle) and feel the need to blowdry it, too.  My hair is too coarse and doesn't curl well at all.  If it's longer, I struggle to get it dried and don't have the patience to do the whole section-and-clip thing.  I wanna be in and out and done.  My bangs tend to curl like a sausage so those need to be smoothed by an iron (not too hot), not that they stay smooth all day.  If I grow it out, I get frustrated with how long it takes to dry.  If I cut it shorter, I'm not happy either.  I have absolutely no idea what to do with my hair though I will pat myself on my back and say I do a pretty good job blowdrying it.  I like a little volume here, a little smoother there.  I have a hair appointment Thursday with no real plan in my head.  As always.  (Heavy sigh) The struggle is real!!!!

@BarbiHollywood   So sorry for the delay in answering.  You shouldn't feel bad at all changing stylists, it's so HARD to find a good one.  Mine owns the shop now,  how lucky, she can't get away from me now.

I think Lisa Rinna has a kind of modified short shag but the bottom layer is somehow cut to flip it up.  Mine was a shortish shag, very coarse and I hurt my wrist about 2012 and just couldn't blow it.  No, LR doesn't do that blowout by herself!

I read a thread on here where someone was so desperate to find a new stylist that when she had time, she visited shops and just sat there and watched different stylists work on different hair. How ingenious? They asked the owners if it was ok.  They said yes.

I still think your problem may just be our humidity (can't change that) and wanting a smooth look.  Have you tried a keratin treatment?  There's differnt ones now.  My hair is coarse to and frizzy, but I tried a drgstore shmpoo/ cond. that worked much better for me than anything b4!  OGX Keratin OIL S&C.  Pink bottle.  I always, always had shorter layered hair, but now with longer hair and lot of layers, it has more weight, so less frizz. ( I only blowdry my sausage bangs too).   

If your stylist can't blow it well, maybe her cut is ?, needs to be better.  Just remember, when it comes to hair we all want what the other person has,  I really hope your hair appt goes great.

I used to have a style similar to Lisa Rinna's.  I had to use a flat iron, running it down the length and then flipping it at the ends.  Too much work for me.  When I was younger I had no problem spending time styling my hair, but not so much now. 

Now, as my bangs grow out, I do have to style them.  Sometimes I can do it just with a round brush while drying, but sometimes it does take a flat iron, but it's only about 3 small swipes.

Respected Contributor

• Back to the subject of this thread....

@Witchy Woman , 

Congratulations on embracing your curls.  You are correct that it is going to take some time to get your curls back after the chemical straightening. 

I would highly suggest reading about the Curly Girl method. Even though it may drive you crazy, remember no curling irons or hot irons while you are growing out the chemical damage.  Use gentle heat and a diffuser if you blow dry.

No silicones or sulfates in your products and no terrycloth towels to dry your hair.

Be patient. It will happen!

Valued Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@segrl21 

@Shanus 

I did stop into a salon that does "consults" and takes time to hear you.  I've had other services done there and been happy.

So, I have a consult at 9:45 tomorrow.  Showed them my picture of my previous curls.  I firmly believe they are in there waiting to be released.

Over the years, my curl pattern and texture changed, and, my once very layered hair was reduced to just TWO layers by lazy stylists.  Two layers produce just clumpy, clunky curls.  That was most of the trouble.

My long ago stylist will never return, so, if I am to take this journey, I have to find someone who will do a very, very layered, careful cut.  Not just two clumps. 

I looked like Rosanne Rosannadanna!  A bell head Cat Very Happy

@segrl21 

I have always used sulfate, silicon free hair products.  My current favorite is Pureology.  

Part of the issue too, when you have a bad cut, you just end up looking frizzy and ratty....as I aged, that didn't help.  I didn't want to be THAT old woman!

Fingers crossed for success.  I'll report back when the deed is done.  Fortunately, I've let it grow out, so I have longer hair to work with. 

I'm just going to make sure I watch every snip that comes off!

Purelogy while a really good brand isn't compltely curly girl friendly as it has silicones in the conditioner and styling products. Not the heavier ones (more water soluable but can still build up over time) but it does contain silicones.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

nick chaves yrs ago had a curly hair line... loved his curly hair spray gel.. than he discontinued it.. i'm thinking it  didnt sell.. he needs to bring it back.. i get perms every 5 months love my curls

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

That would require INNOVATION. QVC is beyond help. Many companies HIRE market analysis experts to report on new trends, things on the horizon. QVC literally has hundreds of people giving them this information and acts like "we will be there when we get there, see ya"

Honored Contributor

@Thebig I wrote:

That would require INNOVATION. QVC is beyond help. Many companies HIRE market analysis experts to report on new trends, things on the horizon. QVC literally has hundreds of people giving them this information and acts like "we will be there when we get there, see ya"

@Thebig I   QVC is not following the trend of women letting their hair go naturally curly or those of us who quit coloring and went grey. No worries. They lose our business and we go elsewhere for products. Their loss, not ours.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I embraced my very curly hair some years ago. After exhaustive trial and error, I rely on maybe four hair products that are geared toward my problem (Curl Junkie and Deva Curl brands).

I would not expect to a shopping channel to devote time to this particular issue.

ETA: I also use specific styling tools (but NEVER any heat) and towel.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I embraced my very curly hair some years ago. After exhaustive trial and error, I rely on maybe four hair products that are geared toward my problem (Curl Junkie and Deva Curl brands).

I would not expect to a shopping channel to devote time to this particular issue.

ETA: I also use specific styling tools (but NEVER any heat) and towel.

And I wouldn't expect them to go about it in a Curly Girl Method kind of way even if they did carry products specifically designed for curly hair.  

Valued Contributor

DITTO!!!!!!  Deva Curl line would be Awesome for QVC to carry for us CurlyGirls.