Honored Contributor

Re: Show some love to us curly hair girls

[ Edited ]

Here are some I have been successful using:

"Pure Oils" by Silk Elements, Intense Conditioning & Hydration Masque -- I use this once a month as a deep conditioner.  Leaves my hair incredibly soft, hydrated and wonderfully healthy feeling for days, through multiple shampoos.

Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Extra-Moisture Detangler (with sea kelp and argan oil) --  this is a detangler, but I use it as a hair styling cream to boost my curls.  I love how it makes my hair soft soft & shiny & hyrdrated. I can use this on dry hair, then rod set for 20 minutes, and voila!

I have heard, but haven't yet used, "Curls" new Organic collection.  I hear their avocado mousse is fantastic.

Other than these, as a daily refresher, I just use aloe vera and argan oil when styling my hair.

Esteemed Contributor

@KCDiva 

And all curly girls...

Last night, my husband unearthed a few photos of me from many years back (in my 30s, and I'm now 68), showing me with my glorious curly hair.  I cried.

I wondered who that beautiful, young woman was.  It WAS me.  What beautiful, wild, curls I had!  

Many years of bad haircuts lead me to grow out my layers and have it smoothed out.  I also color.

Made a decision that I'm going back to my curls.  Will visit a nice salon today to see if I can find a stylist to help me.  My current stylist only wants to keep smoothing my hair and discourages going back to curls.

Maybe she's right, but I'll never know unless I try.  I'm worried about the years of continued "smoothing" and coloring.  I want to go back to the wash and wear of curly hair!

Wish me luck.  Hope I'm not back here in a few weeks posting about my wretched haircut and curls Cat Very Happy

Trusted Contributor

HSN used to sell Ouidad back in 2006 or so. I guess it didn't sell too well, because they didn't offer it for long.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Esteemed Contributor

@morganjen 

I tried several of their products years ago and was not impressed.  Cannot remember why, but I know I moved on very quickly.

Used to be a lot of buzz about them, but lately, I've not heard a thing.

Valued Contributor

I have curly ques as well and i love them. Im really not sure if anyone in the market has actually really created something awesome for curls. I spend quite a bit of time researching, asking questions and looking around in beauty stores to find a clean line to help manage and hydrate my curls. Ive also tried a lot of brands and they're all the same at some point. So, i found my own way to help manage my curls and tis been working very well. Smiley Happy

~No act of kindness, no matter how small is ever wasted~ Aesop
Honored Contributor

TV shopping channels are infamous for going with one brand and getting stuck there.  They measure all success from that one brand, as if we are all the same. 

Here is a list of just some of the extremely successful and popular curly hair product brands:

Shea Moisture

Deva Curl

Moroccan Oil

Mizani

Jane Carter Solution

Camille Rose

Cantu

Pura D'Or

Design Essentials

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman , I actually get a perm every year.  I have kinda wavy hair tha MUST be styled to be even slightly presentable, and curly is so much easier and suits me better.  However, the pressure to straighten by the beauty community is real.  I style my own hair at the hairdresser's because she just doesn't know how to do it and would more than likely give me a blowout. 

She owns a Redken training facility and suggested once I get my color done there (I do it myself).  So, I took her up on it, but after the first girl apparently didn't save my formula it became a total disaster and I went back to doing it myself.  But, when I was there getting a color, the girl kept telling me I should get a blowout.  So, since I knew I was going straight home and would re-do it the next day I let her.  When she was done she told me I was right, "You do look better with curly hair".  So, there it is.  Yearly perms for me.

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@KCDiva 

And all curly girls...

Last night, my husband unearthed a few photos of me from many years back (in my 30s, and I'm now 68), showing me with my glorious curly hair.  I cried.

I wondered who that beautiful, young woman was.  It WAS me.  What beautiful, wild, curls I had!  

Many years of bad haircuts lead me to grow out my layers and have it smoothed out.  I also color.

Made a decision that I'm going back to my curls.  Will visit a nice salon today to see if I can find a stylist to help me.  My current stylist only wants to keep smoothing my hair and discourages going back to curls.

Maybe she's right, but I'll never know unless I try.  I'm worried about the years of continued "smoothing" and coloring.  I want to go back to the wash and wear of curly hair!

Wish me luck.  Hope I'm not back here in a few weeks posting about my wretched haircut and curls Cat Very Happy

@Witchy Woman   I’m wishing you luck and thinking about you. Please don’t get discouraged. Your beautiful curls may not come back immediately. It takes time and lots of conditioning + eliminating sulfates & silicones to reshape the curls. Go Girl!!

Honored Contributor

BTW, Curlies, I believe all of the products in the Tweak'd line are all-natural so would be Curly-Girl friendly.  The line is not aimed at curlies, but some of the products might work for you.

Valued Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@KCDiva 

And all curly girls...

Hairdressers discourage curls because the truth is most have no idea what to do with them.  It is easier for them to straighten it but this is your hair. Don't base how you wear your hair because a hairdresser doesn't have those skills. If they push you too hard find a curly stylist and they are out there. If your hairdresser tries to push straight hair only say no thank you I want to encourage and bring back curls. Years of straightening does ruin curls however it is possible to recover them. Here is a good source to read about how to go curly

https://www.naturallycurly.com/

Basic very basic info, stop using sulfates and silicone. They dry out curly/wavy hair and it is what leads to frizz. A curly hair master of hair Lorraine Massey says frizz hair is just a curl/wave waiting to happen and in my experience it is true.

and Reddit has an excellent subreddit on curly hair.