Honored Contributor

Re: Show some love to us curly hair girls

HSN sells the Carol's Daughter line that really sells toward the curly haired girls.

Trusted Contributor

I could open a small drug store for curly hair girls with all the products I've purchased just over that past year alone.  All remain on my shelf as it is hard to toss them.

I finally settled on Catwalk by Tigi Curls Rock Amplifier.

I wash my hair at night and add in 1.5 pumps.  This is too much to go out after I wash, but the extra product keeps my curls in place as I sleep on them.  I can get two days out of this as the curls stays in place even when I sleep.  The third day I wear my hair in a pony tail.  If I were to go out after I wash my hair, I would use less product. 

Worth trying and gets great reviews.  My hair is to my shoulders. 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

HSN sells the Carol's Daughter line that really sells toward the curly haired girls.

Problem is, for people trying to do the Curly Girl Method (no silicones, sulfates, or drying alcohols), I believe Carol's Daughter is not approved.  

Respected Contributor

I think an hour show dedicated to curly hair techniques and products would be well received.

I hate it when they have a model with beautiful curls and straighten the heck out of it. It's bad for the hair and murder on the curls.

Respected Contributor

@Harvard99 wrote:

I just posted about this yesterday.  I live in Florida and decided a while back not to fight it anymore. I have thick, dark wavy/curly hair, I finally got a great layered top of shoulder cut and I go, au natural. 

The hardest part is the time and money involved in finding the right products.  QVC, are you listening?

@Harvard99  I live in FL too and am at the point, too, of just throwing in the towel (ha!) and not fighting it.  I waste more time drying it (less than 10 minutes, big whoop), but I step outside and it just does what it wants anyway -- frizzzz.  If I had a dime for every product I have to combat the curl, I'd be a bazillionaire a million times over.  Can I ask what part of FL you live in?  Asking because I haven't found the holy grail of salons here in the Tampa area.  No one - and I mean no one - knows how to blowdry my hair.  I've never ever been able to get my hair done and go out, I always have to come home and re-dry my hair.  Wanting my hair "smooth" does not mean "flat."  Any help is appreciated!

Trusted Contributor

@BarbiHollywood wrote:

@Harvard99 wrote:

I just posted about this yesterday.  I live in Florida and decided a while back not to fight it anymore. I have thick, dark wavy/curly hair, I finally got a great layered top of shoulder cut and I go, au natural. 

The hardest part is the time and money involved in finding the right products.  QVC, are you listening?

@Harvard99  I live in FL too and am at the point, too, of just throwing in the towel (ha!) and not fighting it.  I waste more time drying it (less than 10 minutes, big whoop), but I step outside and it just does what it wants anyway -- frizzzz.  If I had a dime for every product I have to combat the curl, I'd be a bazillionaire a million times over.  Can I ask what part of FL you live in?  Asking because I haven't found the holy grail of salons here in the Tampa area.  No one - and I mean no one - knows how to blowdry my hair.  I've never ever been able to get my hair done and go out, I always have to come home and re-dry my hair.  Wanting my hair "smooth" does not mean "flat."  Any help is appreciated!

Hi @BarbiHollywood.  I live in Palm Beach County, southeast Fl.  Nice to meet you fellow Fl girl!  Sorry, I'm no help to you for a Tampa salon recommendation. Have you looked for salon reviews on sites like yelp?

How long is your hair? Would you ever wear it without blowdrying it? Is it thick, thin, wavy, curly, wiry, etc?  Do you think you need a different length, style? 

This is my saga.  I was chained here to that blow dryer for over 20 years and 6 yrs ago I gave up.  My hair is thick, wavy, almost curly, frizzy.  Without layers it looks like a Christman tree. If I think humid, it's frizz.

I have the same stylist for 25 yrs, it was short/ medium, no great style, and she recommended I let it grow  to just hit my shoulders, cut layers all over, fluff it up and only blowdry the bangs. I love it, and the less heat I used, the better my hair got. I found some differnt products.  Mayb once a year, I'll flatiron it..

Trying to keep a really smooth look in Fl is like shoveling snow in Wisconsin with a teaspoon.  Tell me about your hair and style now. No one except us Fl girls knows what this is like 24/7/365/

Trusted Contributor

I have wavy hair.  I fought it back in the 70s when everyone had straight, straight hair.  Slept many nights with my hair wrapped around a coffee can.  I can say, tho, I never ironed my hair.

I now wear it natural, barely blow dry - more to get the "wet" out.  Of course it is more curlier in the summer/warmer months.

DevaCurl Mist-er Right

I was going thru the products I use on my hair and found something from Deva Curl that I don't even remember buying.  It's called MIST-ER, a curl refresher.  I tried it yesterday morning as I did not wet my hair.  I was ready to trash it just to eliminate things I no longer use/want.  Well, when I looked in the mirror an hour later - my hair looked better than on those days when I spend time styling it!  It's a winner!

Another item that I really like, just ordered my second bottle, is LUS.  I first saw it as a pop up ad on my FB page.  I really like it.  I don't spend the time the models do styling.  I pump it 3 or 4 times and spread it throughout my hair.  It really helps my waves.  I think next time I will try the "curly" version vs. the "wavy".  It's $18 + shipping.

And I'm really impressed with the Deva Mist-er.  Used it this morning on wet hair.

Anyway, re the subject - yes please!  I would love to see a show for those of us who do not have the time or patience to spend hours working on our hair!

Valued Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:
I spent two hours at Ulta last night including significant time picking a new cleanser for my wavy curls. I bought two options.

You have the audience...

ULTA  does carry Not your Mothers naturals products and they are great for curly hair. Cheap and very effective. Also Devacurl,  Living Proof, Ouidad (although Ouidad has silicones) and a few other silicone free products. ULTA is more curly friendly than Sephora which carry very few curly girl friendly products.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@roeroe1005 wrote:

Another item that I really like, just ordered my second bottle, is LUS.  I first saw it as a pop up ad on my FB page.  I really like it.  I don't spend the time the models do styling.  I pump it 3 or 4 times and spread it throughout my hair.  It really helps my waves.  I think next time I will try the "curly" version vs. the "wavy".  It's $18 + shipping.

@roeroe1005 I also use LUS - great product, my favorite styling product for my curls!

Honored Contributor

Excellent suggestion @KCDiva !!