Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

I had a pedicure Friday afternoon and Saturday morning my toes on the right foot were swollen pretty much like sausage and the left was somewhat swollen but not a lot.  Tonight I had an event to attend and when I got home my right foot is huge, like an elephant foot and my left is swollen as well.  My right foot has a red streak from my right great toe up to the ankle.  Should I go to the ER or wait and see a doctor on Monday?

@Nonametoday 

Good grief girl, what are you waiting for?   

This sounds like a very serious infection ....  and you will not only need antibiotics, but further monitoring.   

And you should probably notify your local Board of Health and report the salon.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Should I see a doctor?

[ Edited ]

Go to the urgent care or ER immediately. This is a serious condition. I had the same problem once with a manicure that I got while we were away on vacation.  Three days later, while driving home, my finger and hand was swollen and I called ahead to my doctor (on Friday am) who could not see me. A red line was going from my hand to my wrist to my elbow as we drove and the swelling increased tremendously and it hurt like h-ll.

I went to the urgent care near my house before even going home and fortunately the doctor was an ex Army surgeon. He said my PCP would not have been able to help me.  He said that the red line was the infection going toward my heart.  He tended to me and I had to take antibiotics afterward.  He said that it's extremely common with manicures and pedicures.  It was all fine, but I was so, so glad I didn't wait until Monday.

PLEASE, you must go to the Urgent Care or ER now.  Please. Do not wait until Monday. Your doctor will most likely just send you elsewhere. Let us know how you're doing,Heart

Esteemed Contributor

You definately have a bad infection ..... years ago I had an infection in my toe from a cut on my foot & a red line went from my right toes all the way up my leg to my knee ....my foot was swollen & I was out of work & on medication for 4 weeks  .... I had to keep my foot/leg elevated ... to this day my right foot gets swollen every once in a while ..... GO TO THE ER ASAP

Respected Contributor

Yes, please don't delay seeing a doctor. 

Respected Contributor

Sounds like Cellulitis -a bacterial infection.  My husband had these exact symptoms - swelling of the leg that got worse over a few days and red streaking upwards.  He was told by his dr - he went to the ER then was admitted to the hospital -  that if he had waited it would have gotten into his bloodstream - sepsis - which can kill you.  

Respected Contributor

@Nonametoday  please let us know the outcome.  Wishing you well.

Esteemed Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote:

@Nonametoday  please let us know the outcome.  Wishing you well.

Indeed.  Thinking of you.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@FranandZoe wrote:

Sounds like Cellulitis -a bacterial infection.  My husband had these exact symptoms - swelling of the leg that got worse over a few days and red streaking upwards.  He was told by his dr - he went to the ER then was admitted to the hospital -  that if he had waited it would have gotten into his bloodstream - sepsis - which can kill you.  

I was thinking the same thing.  I think she went to the ER last evening.  I hope all is well with her and she is receiving proper care.

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday  - Please let us know how you are doing.  Been thinking about you.  Wishing you well.

Honored Contributor

Re: Should I see a doctor?

[ Edited ]

Most likely a bacterial infection; strep and staph, resulting in cellulitis.   

Since it’s a community acquired infection, ER or an urgent care facility is required to report this to the local county health office, which will result in an inspection of that business.   

I feel sure she was admitted to the hospital for IV antibiotics for this severe infection.