Respected Contributor
I live on the East coast and an area that will be several more weeks before hair salons will be allowed to open. I was just reading an article this morning how many self-employed people are having a harder time getting their unemployment benefits. And they were interviewing hair stylists and barbers that work out of home salons and the problems they are facing getting unemployment benefits due to some additional paperwork required.
My stylist is self-employed in her own salon so now I'm worried.
Do you think it'd be appropriate to offer to send her a prepayment for what my traditional appointment +tip costs?
I do not want to ask her if she's receiving unemployment yet or anything it's not my business.
But the money now maybe important to her daily needs.
I have known her for many years so I don't think she would be offended or anything........
Thoughts?
Honored Contributor

Re: Should I prepay my stylist?

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:
I live on the East coast and an area that will be several more weeks before hair salons will be allowed to open. I was just reading an article this morning how many self-employed people are having a harder time getting their unemployment benefits. And they were interviewing hair stylists and barbers that work out of home salons and the problems they are facing getting unemployment benefits due to some additional paperwork required.
My stylist is self-employed in her own salon so now I'm worried.
Do you think it'd be appropriate to offer to send her a prepayment for what my traditional appointment +tip costs?
I do not want to ask her if she's receiving unemployment yet or anything it's not my business.
But the money now maybe important to her daily needs.
I have known her for many years so I don't think she would be offended or anything........
Thoughts?

@Abrowneyegirl   Maybe there's a tactful way to inquire if she's planning to re-open. After all these months without customers, self employed, she may have have had to throw in the towel...literally. Paying in advance may be thrown out money. I assume you mean paying for your first (next) appointment in advance or contribution to help her out? 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have been going to my stylist for 20+ years.  She works in a salon but is considered an independent contractor.  

When my appt came up in mid-April I sent her the money for the color & cut, and did it myself.  I was actually pleased with how well it turned out, I will go much lighter if I need to do it again.  

I'm just not comfortable going back yet.  Actually nothing has changed, by June 1 deaths will be at 100,000.  

I just text her and asked for her mailing address.  She was really happy.

Trusted Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl : Could you text her and just say you're thinking of her and hope she and hers are well and wow, can you hardly wait until you can get in to see her.

That should open the door to her at least giving you an idea about whether or not she'll have to close down. 

Respected Contributor

Good points about her reopening. And as of last week she was planning to reopen. she added me to her call list and will take ANY appointment list.
And honestly if she was in such terrible shape that she could not reopen I would be fine with being out the money I sent her. She is a good person and I would know she needed it more than I did.
Honored Contributor

I live outside Philadelphia. And things are very iffy about when shops and stores will reopen. It doesn't look like anytime soon.

But prepaying for your visit just seems to be another thing for her to keep track of. Not sure how it would be handled. Would she have to pay sales tax on services she did not perform? And just making sure she remembers that you prepaid and the amount. I think it is a wonderful idea but might be troublesome in the end.

I see on local websites that several hair salons have closed. And they are trying to sell their stations, chairs everything in the salon. It seems like there is about one every couple of weeks. And since it is open ended when they might be able to open again, I can understand your trying to help.

Maybe first talk to her and get her thoughts about her future and will she be able to stay closed for a longer period of time.

Esteemed Contributor

I live on the east coast as well, and our salons open next week. I would not prepay a stylist. Just wait until your appointment time and tip generously. My own feeling is I have no problem going to a hair salon. I feel more comfortable there than going to Walmart or Target (or a grocery store!). 

Frequent Contributor

I think it's a lovely idea, Jeanbhv - you're a very kind and compassionate person..

Respected Contributor

I would give her a really generous tip when I went for my appointment. What are you paying her for if she does not open? Hopefully she will open.

Esteemed Contributor

Just stick to what's been done in the past - show up - get your hair done......and pay her.

Not all stylist are broke......except for  this bump in the road ....they do very well financially.