Super Contributor

Re: Should I prepay my stylist?

I sent my stylist a check saying that I was splitting my Lottery winnings with her, and apologizing that it wasn’t the big lottery!  It covered one appointment plus some.  I thought that was a good way to handle it.  She was so grateful and said she considered it prepayment for future visits.  I want her to consider it a gift, not a prepayment.  I’m about to send another check and will just be honest this time, thanking her for her great service and explaining that this quarantine has given me the opportunity to try a longer style and natural color.  When I do go back we can play with new styles.

Honored Contributor

@AbrowneyegirlIf you can, what a lovely idea because the self-employed face costs to re-open as well as the cost of not being able to see clients.

I paid my self-employed stylist once since she had to close and she was so grateful.  I know that there are weeks she works where a big percentage of what she earns goes for health insurance.  I think I felt as good doing that as she did receiving.

Honored Contributor

No, I don't think it's necessary or appropriate.  I talked to my stylist yesterday and she told me she had just received a check for almost $4,000 in Unemployment Insurance.  Salons here are still closed so she was buying new tires and preparing to take off to visit relatives in another state.  The UI is arriving if the stylists applied for it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

I don't think it's appropriate or to start something like this. We all have our challenges.

Regular Contributor

Prepay your stylist? Prepay the grocer for food I will be purchasing...... etc?  Makes ZERO sense!!!

Tip her.  As others have said, we all have challenges. But prepaying?

Esteemed Contributor

I feel it's a kind gesture but honestly, I wouldn't do it.  They do get a lot of "cash" and you know what that means......I would say they are doing fairly well considering what we are all up against.  

Regular Contributor

No good deed goes unpunished. As others have said, I wouldn't start this. 

Esteemed Contributor

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

No, I don't think it's necessary or appropriate.  I talked to my stylist yesterday and she told me she had just received a check for almost $4,000 in Unemployment Insurance.  Salons here are still closed so she was buying new tires and preparing to take off to visit relatives in another state.  The UI is arriving if the stylists applied for it.

@Kachina624, you have been saying for weeks now that they get unemployment but clearly if she just received a check for that sum of money, it's because she has gone quite awhile without any income and they are catching her up.

In my state of Ohio, anyone self-employed was just able to apply last week.  So yes they are going to get a nice, fat deposit or check but since March, they've had absolutely no income at all.  The salons in my state were allowed to open as of the 15th so they are back to work and still have never received a dime in unemployment.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva  The states were totally unprepared to process the copious number of UI claims.  In most cases they had to hire new employees who first had to be trained.  The system is a complicated process to learn

If they're otherwise eligible, they'll be paid for the weeks they were unemployed plus they would have received the stimulus payment if they filed tax returns

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment