Respected Contributor

Re: Should I be honest

[ Edited ]

How old is your Mom?  and how long is her hair now from the chin length you like best on her?

I wouldn't say anything negative to her about "wishing" she could go back in time and look like that glammed up photo.  Perhaps she is just going thur a phase...let her figure it out for herself what she likes or what can be reality for her at this present time.  

Frizzy curly hair can be really annoying in the heat LOL....I have this type of hair and cut it chin length for several yrs now.  In my 50's and I just couldn't take the crazy mess and all the time blowing it out and styling it.  Then the humidity is up and well I did all that for nothing.  My spouse wasn't supportive when I said I was cutting it off...he thought I was going super short like a man's hair cut.  But it was only about 5 inches shorter...he got over it and realized I wasn't going to look like a man!  

Summer is just getting going....she'll probably change her mind about it soon enough.Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

It kind of sounds like your mom is fearful of aging and is trying to live in the past.  I would think, at some point, your mom would get a good look at herself in a mirror, have a moment of clarity, and realize she’s not achieving her goal.  If that doesn’t happen, you can be truthful without being unkind.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Should I be honest

[ Edited ]

I would politely be honest if she asked for an opinion. Or else, let her do what she wants. She has a mirror right? So she knows what it looks like! 
I have hair like that and now it's gray, and more unruly than ever before.  Its impossible to handle. All the products in the world can't control it in summer  I have given up and just wear it back. But it has to be long in order to do that. 

Esteemed Contributor

It's her hair, so that is that. She has a right to do whatever she wants with it. She even has the right to let it go wild. I don't get the issue here. If she asks you if you like it tell her the truth, but follow it up with it is your hair, so do what makes you happy. 

Esteemed Contributor

Listen Up! I'm in my 70's. I'm letting my hair grow out. It's been growing out since March of 2020. I know it looks like a wild blueberry bush.  My daughter tells me she likes it. I have 2 sons who  have not said squat. I KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS. And I will be most appreciative if they continue to keep it to themselves. I suggest you do the same unless you are asked.The End. 

Esteemed Contributor

The is an old saying:

Dont take away anyone's song,

but,

don't make them sing it.

Be kind and do not criticize.

Valued Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

@pugvette74 wrote:

@Abrowneyegirl Please let her be. It sounds like she is excited about growing her hair. It's her hair and her decision. Heart

Thats the problem, she is NOT.  She seems to think that at some magical length it is going to look like it did in the photo when she wakes up in the morning.

When she asks me about my hair and I tell what and how she always has the same response, "I would never spend that much effort on my hair......"

That's why I am wondering if I need to remind her that the photo is a Glamor shot photo and she had a professional hair stylist and make-up artist.

"She seems to think"  That's the key... Let her. You say "You are wondering" She didn't ask about the Glamor Shot Photo. Let her be. She's not hurting anyone and you are "assuming" Just love her for her...

Esteemed Contributor

This is easy!  Let if go!  Why does it matter to YOU?  She is HAPPY with her long hair.  I limit my worries about my mother to health and safety.

Esteemed Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl  I wish my DD and DIL were more honest with me! I have no clue as to what to do with my hair. If one of them said:

She and her hair look FABULOUS when it is in a chin-length style that removes the weight and allows the curl to shine.  She also has great skin.

I would be so thankful!

Trusted Contributor

Well, @Abrowneyegirl, my take is that if someone I have a close relationship with asks me for my "honest opinion," and I believe they really mean it, I sometimes choose to give it. Otherwise, not. And, even then, I might say something like, "Oh, yes, isn't it fun to try something different? My very favorite of your haricuts, though, was when it was (fill in the blank)."

After all, if your mom wants to have her moment of looking soft, why not please herself?