Valued Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

Listen Up! I'm in my 70's. I'm letting my hair grow out. It's been growing out since March of 2020. I know it looks like a wild blueberry bush.  My daughter tells me she likes it. I have 2 sons who  have not said squat. I KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS. And I will be most appreciative if they continue to keep it to themselves. I suggest you do the same unless you are asked.The End. 

@shaggygirl I hearted your post.. But I have to say I really love it. Heart

I have a neighbor (she's in her late 80's) that thinks once you hit 40 years old, you should have short hair... NOT!!!  

Trusted Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

with my mother or just let it go....

My mother keeps telling me she is letting her hair grow and every few weeks when I see her it is just getting more and more wild and unruly because she does not like to style her hair.

She has thick hair with natural wave/curl - we are blessed with hair in our family BUT humidity is not our friend.

Finally, I asked her, what is her plan?  She told me she found an old flattering photo of herself when her hair was long she looked so soft and fresh so she is growing her hair.

I now realize she is talking about a Glamor Shots photo from 40 years ago.  Remember those?

You went in and they professionally styled your hair, did your make-up, and took filtered photos that were highly edited.

For some reason, she thinks it was the hair that gave her that soft young look because now her hair is shorter she looks older.

Should I remind her we are all older and have changed and the long hair is not the fountain of youth?  Great lighting and photoshop is but for real-life come on.  I am older now than she was in that photo then!!!

She and her hair look FABULOUS when it is in a chin-length style that removes the weight and allows the curl to shine.  She also has great skin.

Should I be honest with her or just let it go?  I do not want to burst her bubble but......

My Mother rarely listens to me. I could give her the same advice for 6 months and she will ignor it until a complete stranger, she just met on the street, tells her the same thing I have been telling her. Then she tells me about it as though it is new information and gospel. Your Mother will figure it out. She has to try it first and see for herself what the truth is. Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

I used to tell my parents all kinds of advice about their diet etc.  I meant well.  I just want them to be healthy.  But I guess I am the one getting wiser.  I don't tell them anything anymore... If they eat too much red meat, salt, sugar, whatever.... Not my decision.  

Let people be who and what they want.  She's not hurting you.... I am sure as a kid growing up you had some style that made her roll her eyes behind your back.  

it's not worth it to hurt her feelings or to make her feel self conscience. It's her hair.  

Honored Contributor

The anniversary of my Mom's death is next week. She had the most beautiful hair, short and salt and pepper. I miss everything about her.

I would definitely just let it go. It's just hair

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Frequent Contributor

My thought on this was:  How would you feel if you were told that about YOUR hair...Just let it go... she seems happy.... and thats all that matters.

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

with my mother or just let it go....

My mother keeps telling me she is letting her hair grow and every few weeks when I see her it is just getting more and more wild and unruly because she does not like to style her hair.

She has thick hair with natural wave/curl - we are blessed with hair in our family BUT humidity is not our friend.

Finally, I asked her, what is her plan?  She told me she found an old flattering photo of herself when her hair was long she looked so soft and fresh so she is growing her hair.

I now realize she is talking about a Glamor Shots photo from 40 years ago.  Remember those?

You went in and they professionally styled your hair, did your make-up, and took filtered photos that were highly edited.

For some reason, she thinks it was the hair that gave her that soft young look because now her hair is shorter she looks older.

Should I remind her we are all older and have changed and the long hair is not the fountain of youth?  Great lighting and photoshop is but for real-life come on.  I am older now than she was in that photo then!!!

She and her hair look FABULOUS when it is in a chin-length style that removes the weight and allows the curl to shine.  She also has great skin.

Should I be honest with her or just let it go?  I do not want to burst her bubble but......

@Abrowneyegirl If she is happy let her be happy.  What's the point unless she really is looking bizarre and then if that is the case you have far more problems than hair.  And my heart goes out to you. 

Valued Contributor

Your mom wants a change to make her feel better.  Support her--help her find products to make the most of her longer hair and keep it looking nice.

Esteemed Contributor

You didn't mention what age your mother is, or whether she has any issues such as dementia. If she asks for your opinion, then give it to her. But, if she hasn't asked then I would let it go. I'm 73 and I sure wouldn't want my daughter (if I had one) telling me how I should wear my hair!

Respected Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl   IF she asks what you think, I'd tell her exactly what you said in your second-to-last paragraph:  Mom, "you and your hair look FABULOUS when it's in a chin-length style that removes the weight and allows the curl to shine.  You also have great skin."  That way you'd be both honest and complimentary.

Respected Contributor

People see what they want to see and believe what they want to believe.  She must realize, unless she has some senile issues,  when those photos were taken and why they looked so good.  She is just trying to do something that will make her feel younger.  I doubt anything you say will change her mind so just let her do her thing.