Respected Contributor

Re: Short curly hairdos that look like ....

You just proved my point GoodStuff. Wear what looks good on you at any age. DUH!

Respected Contributor

On 11/22/2014 Lannie said:
On 11/22/2014 gatorgal25 said:
On 11/22/2014 Lannie said:

Any hair sounds good to me after having lost all mine to chemo - and I did look at the Paula Young site for wigs. I looked everywhere. Didn't get one from there, but can't say what would look good on who - depends on a lot of factors.

At least I wouldn't be so insulting about it. Give us older ones (66 here) some respect - some day you too may be outdated, but think you look good, lol!

Me, I'm happy to have hair again, no matter how I wear it. Seems like it's not as important anymore.

I'm with you, Lannie. My hair grew back white and I'm only in my forties. When I start to feel badly about that, I just pull out two pictures: one of my trash can full of hair during chemo and one of me bald, and suddenly, I'm over it. LOL. I wish the only thing I had to worry about was my hairstyle!

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

I think that's pretty common.. your hair loses pigment after chemo. I know mine was white too. For most of us it comes back to a state of it's natural color. That's when I RAN to get my regular pre-chemo blonde low & highlights. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Super Contributor

Not cute short haircuts. Of course there are many of those in style books to bring to the salon. What I see is in no hairstyle book:

Trusted Contributor

I too think I get what the OP is driving at. I don't think she meant it to be insulting. I was watching a rerun of the Lawrence Welk show tonight on PBS and the show was from 1981 and there were a lot of hot roller type sets-Smiley Happy I was right there with my Miss Clairol hot rollers back in the day-they were the best! I digress...the roller sets such as with today's Calista don't look as modern on the women with shorter hair. Some are okay, some look like they should be on Lawrence Welk. The longer hair waves looked more modern I thought. I don't think the OP was dissing short hair or curls in general-just the type of look.

Super Contributor

On 11/22/2014 suzyQ3 said:
On 11/22/2014 luvingit said:

Yes, there are women who look like the o...l...term! Newsflash. I am now a senior. I do not look like a senior. And I know just what the OP is talking about. Wear you Denim and Company into the local Cut and Dry with your running shoes and parka, ask for a short, styled haircut and guess what you will get. The look will be complete. I am so paranoid about this that I dress very fashionably when I go in and show a on trend picture. I tell the stylist that if she gives me an elder looking cut, she will not be paid.

I really think there must be a grandma look that is popular, because it is rare to see women over 65 looking elegant. Even casual chic. I don't understand it. Maybe they feel there are more important things to worry about at this stage in their lives. Maybe this is how comfort looks to them. I don't know. I did have a frumpy stage when I was about 50. Looking back, I think I just didn't care too much about my appearance. I changed my outlook and I am glad I did.

Having said that, I never have liked the older woman's usual appearance, less now that I am that age. If I had a voice, I would say, keep up with what's in style: shoes, hair, clothes, and accessorize always. Appearances do matter.

I pity you.

Ouch

Super Contributor

At 60 plus, my concerns are keeping my good health. I am not worried if someone sees me as An older woman.
Super Contributor

All you who are worried about looking like a little old lady ... I hope you live long enough to actually be one!

Regular Contributor

I get what you're saying and I'm not offended. It's a Sophia Petrillo look. Sort of dated to me. I think people wear their hair a bit more relaxed and natural looking now and it's not like it used to be when women would go to the ""beauty parlour"" and ask for a wash and set. It's different now. So when you see someone who has a more ""done"" look it can look dated. I think that's what you meant. I agree. There have been many times I've seen before and afters with hair products as well as makeup and I preferred the before.
Valued Contributor

On 11/22/2014 MissButtercup said: I get what you're saying and I'm not offended. It's a Sophia Petrullo look. Sort of dated to me. I think people wear their hair a bit more relaxed and natural looking now and it's not like it used to be when women would go to the "beauty parlour" and ask for a wash and set. It's different now. So when you see someone who has a more "done" look it can look dated. I think that's what you meant. I agree. There have been many times I've seen before and afters with hair products as well as makeup and I preferred the before.

This reminds me of an episode of Golden Girls where Sophia took the girls to her hair dresser and they all ended up with Sophia's hairdo, lol.

Respected Contributor

After the age of 60 no one cares what you look like. You are considered ""invisible"" by Madison Avenue. Sad how we de-value women who are past 60 in this country. Everyone caters to the misguided youth.