Honored Contributor

Re: Shopping for sunscreen: Are all brands equal?

@JeanM17 wrote:

I prefer an all physical sunscreen and for years I used the Elta MD SPF 41 tinted.  It is a great product and doubles as a primer when used under makeup.  The tint doesn't really provide coverage but it masks the white cast you normally get from physical sunscreens.  It does even skin tone a bit.  I recently purchased Australian Gold Botanical Mineral Sunscreen Tinted Face Sunscreen Lotion - SPF50 based on a rec from a beauty blogger.  It is every bit as good as the Elta MD but is considerably less expensive.  I ordered it from Target for around $13.  

@JeanM17  I could have written your post! I also use the Elta  tinted.. have used for several years now..... and just bought the Gold Botanical.   I like them both! Great light coverage, not greasy at all.  Good to know a Target has the Gold Botanical as when I ordered on Amazon Prime it took a month to ship!  I though maybe it was coming on a boat from Australia or something? 

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@JeanM17 wrote:

I prefer an all physical sunscreen and for years I used the Elta MD SPF 41 tinted.  It is a great product and doubles as a primer when used under makeup.  The tint doesn't really provide coverage but it masks the white cast you normally get from physical sunscreens.  It does even skin tone a bit.  I recently purchased Australian Gold Botanical Mineral Sunscreen Tinted Face Sunscreen Lotion - SPF50 based on a rec from a beauty blogger.  It is every bit as good as the Elta MD but is considerably less expensive.  I ordered it from Target for around $13.  

@JeanM17  I could have written your post! I also use the Elta  tinted.. have used for several years now..... and just bought the Gold Botanical.   I like them both! Great light coverage, not greasy at all.  Good to know a Target has the Gold Botanical as when I ordered on Amazon Prime it took a month to ship!  I though maybe it was coming on a boat from Australia or something? 

@SeaMaiden

Can you describe the kind of finish you get from the Australian Gold?  Does it stay tacky?  Does it dry matte?  TIA

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Texasmouse wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@JeanM17 wrote:

@SeaMaiden

Can you describe the kind of finish you get from the Australian Gold?  Does it stay tacky?  Does it dry matte?  TIA

@Texasmouse  Good Morning! I have used it twice now and I find it drys matte. None greasy and a light tint....for my skin tone it is just right.  I think they also sell it without tint as well. 

Respected Contributor

Thank you, @SeaMaiden! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden.   I like alba Botanica which is sold at Target and other sites/stores.  They offer physical and chemical sunscreen.  They also offer sunscreen strictly for the face but also have for the body.  Reasonably priced.   Cat Happy

kindness is strength
Super Contributor

I tried the Australian Gold Botanical and loved it but then discovered a website called the Environmental Working Group where they rate sunscreens on sun protection and safety of ingredients. Australian Gold for face got an 8 with 10 being the worst. I am now back to Derma e for the face and Garden Goddess for my body. Both of these got a 1 out of 10.

@Texasmouse wrote:

@JeanM17 wrote:

@JeanM17

I've tried the Elta MD SPF 41 tinted sunscreen and liked the color and consistency but I felt like it never "dried down" on my skin and felt that anythime I touched my face, I'd be rubbing it off.  Did you find that? How does the Australian Gold one compare, in that respect? TIA

Honored Contributor

I love Neutrogena Dry Touch, "Age Shield" if I can get that one too.  It's also the only thing I use on vacation.

No glop, no goo!  Their spray is light while the others are like cooking oil!  ICK!!!

Image result for neutrogena for faces only

Image result for neutrogena sunscreen

Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote:

@JeanM17 wrote:

@JeanM17

I've tried the Elta MD SPF 41 tinted sunscreen and liked the color and consistency but I felt like it never "dried down" on my skin and felt that anythime I touched my face, I'd be rubbing it off.  Did you find that? How does the Australian Gold one compare, in that respect? TIA

I feel like the consistency is pretty similar to Elta MD.  I have more mature skin so always wear a moisturizer and some serums under my sunscreen.  I think that the AG would dry down more if worn alone or with a lighter moisturizer.  I seem to get age spots so much easier the older I get so I like that the SPF is a bit higher.   

Contributor

That's really good to know.  I have to use all physical sunscreen because my skin reacts badly to chemical sunscreen.  I've been using Elta MD on my face for a couple of years and love it, but it is a bit pricey. 

Respected Contributor

@JeanM17 wrote:

@Texasmouse wrote:

@JeanM17 wrote:

@JeanM17

I feel like the consistency is pretty similar to Elta MD.  I have more mature skin so always wear a moisturizer and some serums under my sunscreen.  I think that the AG would dry down more if worn alone or with a lighter moisturizer.  I seem to get age spots so much easier the older I get so I like that the SPF is a bit higher.   

@JeanM17

Thank you for replying. I'm enjoying the one from Ulta that I'm using but like you, I'd like to have the higher SPF too.  Certainly the AG is very reasonably priced!