Frequent Contributor

Re: ShopHQ is changing their name..............again

Did anyone else get the impression from that press release that maybe it would be web based instead of televised? I very rarely watch any of the shopping channels anymore and do my shopping strictly online.

That was the impression I took from the article. Did anyone else?

Super Contributor

On 11/18/2014 KJPA said:

If I avoid saying the name because I don't know how to pronounce it I think it's bad marketing. Is it a long ""i"" or does it sound like ""ee""? How do they pronounce the first ""E""?

I was just wondering the same thing...

Honored Contributor

They change their name more often than I change my underwear.

Super Contributor

On 11/18/2014 baddest_dog said:

I got the email and didn't get the impression they were changing their name. I thought it meant they were going to have a totally digital online format offshoot of the channel, like Nomorerack or something like that.

I'm getting the impression that the network will be no more, and all sales will be live digitally/online? Streaming?

If they're doing so poorly, they really shouldn't have winnowed their offerings down to a few handfuls of vendors, IMO. DAYS of Invicta, DAYS of Dimitri (and I watch every minute!).

The only one I'm concerned about is Skinn, but he'd got his own site and sells on shopping channels in Canada and Australia (maybe elsewhere?) so I know HE's not going out of business.

I'm curious to see what's up.

Honored Contributor

On 11/18/2014 baddest_dog said:

I got the email and didn't get the impression they were changing their name. I thought it meant they were going to have a totally digital online format offshoot of the channel, like Nomorerack or something like that.

I don't know. He did close his note with 'from all of us at Evine', which would seem to imply something... It's a bad name for a company on the cusp. They might do well to stick with the more familiar current name for a while and try to rebuild a following... One hopes that he can do at SHQ what has been so sorely undone at QVC...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

On 11/18/2014 Lotus~ said:

They need to go HD...I go blind when I watch that channel (it's 19 on Long Island)....it's not crystal clear HD like QVC is. As a matter of fact I have the same problem when I watch HSN (channel 8 here).

Do you have Cablevision? I live in North Jersey and HSN on Cablevision is not broadcast in HD and it's terrible.

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Honored Contributor

On 11/18/2014 Lotus~ said:

Very strange name....it's not something that will stick to your tongue.

They need to go HD...I go blind when I watch that channel (it's 19 on Long Island)....it's not crystal clear HD like QVC is. As a matter of fact I have the same problem when I watch HSN (channel 8 here).

They have become the SKINN/Invicta channel and they need to do a major overhaul.

I love Chuck Clemency but it seems he has sold out to the channel, because his items are so ho-hum lately...very mass produced looking. (I know they are mass produced but they don't have to look like it).

Ours was just fine before TWC made some "upgrades" recently. Now it's full screen, as if it were HD, but it's not transmitted as HD.

So the hosts and vendors all look extremely wide. It's actually pretty funny.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

I would think that Evine in this case would mean "E" as in electronic online shopping and "vine" as in a plant with tendrils, i.e., a grapevine.

Out of curiosity, I Googled Evine and Kathy Levine and found, among other things, that she has been recruited to join Evine.

For more info, here is a link that I found interesting: http://techcrunch.com/2012/05/07/evine-launch/

Super Contributor

I watched the vid included in the email (and have yet to click on another link). They are going to "shed the skin of a third place shopping channel". I agree it sounds like they're going totally digital. Pretty gutsy move, but boy, it needs to be done. How many of us have been bellyaching that the channels are showing/doing the same old stuff?

If you Google "shophq evine" it will have a link to the video.

They also mentioned they're going to have new stuff made exclusively for them. Hmmmm...

Well, I'm curious and cautiously hopeful.

Super Contributor

On 11/18/2014 seaside shopper said:

I would think that Evine in this case would mean "E" as in electronic online shopping and "vine" as in a plant with tendrils, i.e., a grapevine.

Out of curiosity, I Googled Evine and Kathy Levine and found, among other things, that she has been recruited to join Evine.

For more info, here is a link that I found interesting: http://techcrunch.com/2012/05/07/evine-launch/

Boy, that IS interesting! I don't like the term "flash sales" although I'm not sure I know what that means. I remember that HSN used to have the "you have to buy before the clock ticks down" format -- or I heard about it -- before my HSN time. I hope that's not what it means.

And as much as I love Kathy -- seriously -- I'm not sure how current she is in ecommerce. Her attempts didn't fare well, but she WILL appeal to the female 35+ demographic that's being targeted (and that's me!). I'd love to see Kathy again, and know she'll rope me in like she always used to, just not sure if it's a good strategy. Hope I'm wrong!

For those of us who love Lisa R, I think she'd be a great component, too. Both Kathy and Lisa can sell me almost anything (but I'm easy). And I assume Dimitri will be around so I'm already nervous!<.p>

Thanks so much for posting this link. Going to go check them out on FB.