Honored Contributor

Re: Shipping is a deal breaker

$3.50 shipping is not a deal breaker for me.  The price of an item is.  

I'm not fooled by free shipping offers when I know the retailer increases prices to cover it.  

Sometime's we get good sale prices and free shipping, but retailers are making it up elsewhere.

If QVC offered free shipping all the time, their prices would go up just like they did after they offered free exchanges.  

Honored Contributor

You have total control of the shipping charges.  Buy fewer things or stop shopping with QVC and HSN.  They aren't going to base shipping charges on what you want.  I don't even understand how anyone can think that $3.50 for clothing, $5.00 for shoes is high.  But there are retailers who have free shipping.

Trusted Contributor

I order from a lot of stores and rarely pay shipping. LIke I said it is the impulse buys they are losing out on.  If I was the shoes or whatever I will buy them. I would have ordered some Perlier the other night I didn't even need but I wasn't going to pay shipping. I'm glad I didn't buy it now. 

Occasional Contributor

Imtep, have you seen the HSN Community boards?  There is no activity. I went there to look for comments about Andrew Lessmna and the TSV Skechers - Nothing.  I came here to look for comments about the Skechers. Kinda cute and a good price, but not my colors. I really don't like the heathered look in anything, clothes or shoes. The pale pink was my fave. But I canot rely on Skechers sizing any more to be accurate and returning is a pain. I go to my local Skechers store where I can try on.  I have had to buy Go Walks in 3 different sizes and skimmers in 2. But the retail stores don't have the exclusive styles or colors that the shopping channels get. Bummer.

Regular Contributor

The thing with shipping is that some states charge sales tax on shipping charges in addition to the amount paid for the purchased items.  Another thing is that I remember the days where we were charged shipping for the first item and 50% less for additional items and that is no longer the case.  If they are shipping everything in the same box it should be one flat rate for shipping.  

Back when I was getting my graduate degree we used to research public financial statements of big companies and they all considered shipping and handling charges as revenue.  That is because they make deals with the delivery companies to have shipping charges reduced due to volume and those were considered expenses.  The fair thing would be to charge us whatever they pay at a discount and not make us pay shipping on top of whatever they are earning from the purchases we make.

Free shipping is definitely a deal breaker for me as well.  I see a lot of items I would buy and get turned off when there are shipping charges, especially when I want to buy multiples.  And sometimes when I do the math I save when paying a little bit more on other websites, buying exactly what I know I will use and get free shipping.

Respected Contributor

This morning I found four decorative pillows I wanted to order for our master bedroom. I have no problem with the amount they are asking for the four pillows but the shipping is $5.50 for each pillow......no way, I am paying $22 in shipping for four small pillows.

So.....will not order.

Trusted Contributor

If nothing else, free shipping makes you feel like you are getting something free. It’s psychological. Besides that QVCS shipping is ridiculous. At least 10 days from order date for me. 

Honored Contributor

I have an air fryer I love from QVC, but if it was free shipping for the new smaller one that Eric is presenting I would have ordered it.  $7.50 for shipping kept me from ordering.  I'll continue with the one I have.

Trusted Contributor

IMO, the shipping is built into the price when "free shipping" is available. The only time I see a real deal is for the TS or clearance. 

Honored Contributor

@KCDiva   I miss the free shipping on Perlier items from HSN.  It has stopped me from placing some orders.  Before the merger when Perlier was shown on HSN many items were on free shipping on those days especially their TS.   (Maybe its for the best as I have too much "in stock" now.)   I really like that brand.