Esteemed Contributor

All these heavy-handed bronzers and illuminators..... some women look like they're trying to be Morticia for Halloween!  

As someone with very oily skin, I've battled with a greasy face all my life.  I much prefer matte, especially now that I'm in my 60's.  To me, the "dewy" look is greasy.  The "illumination" look should be saved for Halloween.   But that's just me....

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

Even Ms. Matte guru has some glow about her.

Lauren_Hutton_70_is_an_ic.jpg

Honored Contributor

My makeup looks neither matte nor shiny ... I use a cream-to-powder compact.  Finish is perfect.

Honored Contributor

Re: Shiny Face Look

[ Edited ]

I don't think it's the beauty industry, I think some women use too much of those "glow" products.  They use too much moisturizer, too much serum....just too much.  Also, if there are brighteners in your moisturizer and glow in your makeup and you use a serum....you are in overload and you risk walking around looking like a greasy mess.  I see a lot of that lately!   It's the same with hair serums and oils.  Women use too much and they think they are getting smooth and sleek hair but they are getting lank, greasy hair.  

Honored Contributor

One reason I wear makeup or BB Cream at all is because my natural face is too shiny.  But, I don't want the aging matt look either.  So, I end up either using an illuminating foundation with some finishing powder or some strategically located IT Hello Light.  I'm 59, but often am told Iook younger.  Even my new gynecologist said she would never have guessed I was as old as I was.  I wasn't in the stirrups yet, so I'm sure she was talking about my face. Woman LOL

Trusted Contributor

I've always  had a thing for illuminizers, going way, way back when you didn't hear that much about them.  I was always trying to have a "dewy" look, I guess.

There weren't that many of those products available.   I remember one in a stick form, by Revlon.  I think it was called "glimmer lights" or something like that.  I had a whitish liquid by Loreal, in a small bottle, and Ralph Lauren had a bronzer type illuminator in a small bottle.  This is way back in the early or mid eighties.  Now there are a gazillion of these products, and I hate to admit, I have most of them.

I just prefer a shinier look to my makeup. When it's all matte, I have always felt I looked older, even when I wasn't "older".  I try to excercise control with all this shiny stuff, though, by reminding myself I don't want to end up looking like the Tin Man from Wizard of Oz.

I agree that a few of the vendors are SO glistening that they do actually look greasy.  You can take the whole moisturizing thing too far, and I think on the whole we use way to many products.  Way too much.

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1

This, for me, is a yes.

This is a NO-

Image result for oily face

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono,   Yes, your photos tell the story and I totally agree with you.  I have seen only two No's so far on QVC and they were vendors with the shiny, greasy face.  It does look horrible.  These women with all this shine are using too much of one or more products.  It should be a very subtle look.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

I watched a video by Wayne Goss that he did talking about how many are following trends on instagram and those that some stars are doing by completely overdoing eyebrows, contouring and highlighting (strobing, illumination) and how if you go back in make up history, they were all things that were started by drag queens and he is right. These makeup techniques were extremely exaggerated so everyone could see them on stage and not meant to be worn where people could see you up close like that as it looks completely over the top. I think everyone should wear what they feel comfortable with to be honest and if it makes them happy, then by all means do it but it is sad to think that girls only feel comfortable when wearing that much to cover up any semblance of their natural beauty.

He said and I think he is right too that it is overdone and not at all the least bit natural looking. He hates a lot of these trends and I am not crazy about many of them either.  Girls eyebrows these days look ridiculous especially a lot of instagrammers. A bit of contouring looks good but I think it is odd for everyday life. A little bit of illumination looks nice, but your face should not look like a disco ball. Even compared to the 80s some of the extreme eyebrows, contouring and illumination looks so tragic. 

There is absolutely nothing wrong with luminizer no matter the age. I am 47 and I wear it. My mother is 75 and she wears it but it is done with a subtle hand. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

Even on a 20 year old, too much looks ridiculous. I think the whole brow craze is phony looking also. I have decent brows that I maintain. I would rather not do them than to look so fake that when I talk to people they are looking at my brows the whole time. To each their own though.