Honored Contributor

@febe1,   That is another funny story.  Did you say anything to her?  I probably would have in a gentle way.  The deep colored eyebrows are another hideous mess.  I have to say that makeup has come a long way since my early days of wearing it and I love the makeup today but some people take it too far.  I guess if they think they look good that is all that matters but people are still going to talk about how bad they look.  Human nature.  

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@febe1,   That is another funny story.  Did you say anything to her?  I probably would have in a gentle way.  The deep colored eyebrows are another hideous mess.  I have to say that makeup has come a long way since my early days of wearing it and I love the makeup today but some people take it too far.  I guess if they think they look good that is all that matters but people are still going to talk about how bad they look.  Human nature.  

No, @Katcat1, I didn't. I just felt she would be embarrassed if I said anything. Her mom could do it better than I.

I remember my mom was in her 80's, and she told me her youngest son told her she had too much blush on. So easy to do with the powder blush settling in wrinkles. My mom would never wear blush after that.

I think applying make-up takes a little artistic skill. Not everyone is good at it. If questionable, I try to go light. After my brother told my mom about her blush, it made me extra extra careful of my blush thereafter. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Are we talking about two different things here?  (1) There's the shiny, as in "too greasy" face. The oily-skin face that always looks like it needs to be washed (like mine!).  This isn't illumination or glow - it's just oily.   (2) And then there's the "illumination" face - the one with a glittery or white sparkly glow.  This face usually has definite stripes of bronzer and whitish illuminizer.  It can be matte, but with stripes.  

Guess I'm a little confused by some responses.  I definitely prefer matte to "too greasy."  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Trusted Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

@Katcat1

This, for me, is a yes.

This is a NO-

Image result for oily face

Exactly, @lolakimono.  The top one looks fresh. 

I think Jennifer Lopez is a perfect example of the right look. Her makeup is always beautiful. 

Trusted Contributor

That girl on the beauty IQ looks like a greasy mess everday.

Honored Contributor

I think this entire shiny stuff in MU look is just ridiculous. And I disagree that a natural looking face is aging. It is NATURAL. The makeup industry is certainly smart enough to know that all they have to say is something is aging and BOOM - everyone is afraid of it. I would not ever buy any makeup with "illumination" AKA glitter in it. I'll go without MU rather than have my skin sparkling in the sun.

Honored Contributor

@MoJoV wrote:

I think a matte look is very aging on women. I prefer a dewy face and I use It Hello Light very sparingly around my eyes. I love illumination products if they're used properly.

@MoJoV

I agree ...... matte tends to look very muddy on most women .... NOT flattering.   

I've tried various highlighting-type products over the years ... if it's cream based, you need to blend & set it with a smidge of powder, mineral or otherwise.   If it's a powder, you need to BLEND it well.    

I've seen a few women out in public looking like they do their makeup in the dark!

Honored Contributor

Makeup should look like you only better. How on earth do you get that makeup looks like you when it is sparkling in the sun or in the lights ? No matter your age 15 or 65 - skin does not sparkle ever, and wearing MU that sparkles does not make anyone look young. It may make you look pretty silly , to be honest.

Honored Contributor

If you are sparkling like a winking neon sign, then you have overapplied the highlighter! 

It's supposed to be a subtle look, not like you had an accident with the glitter containers at Michael's!

The photos in this thread definitely show the yea vs. nay looks with highlighter.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

Re: Shiny Face Look

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

I think this entire shiny stuff in MU look is just ridiculous. And I disagree that a natural looking face is aging. It is NATURAL. The makeup industry is certainly smart enough to know that all they have to say is something is aging and BOOM - everyone is afraid of it. I would not ever buy any makeup with "illumination" AKA glitter in it. I'll go without MU rather than have my skin sparkling in the sun.

Illumination does NOT necessarily mean glitter, @151949

And it's not a matter of a Crisco face v. an always beautiful aging face. You're making extremes out of both when it's very possible to land right in between.

Aging is a natural process, and you're right that there is nothing wrong with it. But if a woman is not happy with how her face is aging, what's wrong with using sleight of hand?

Instead of dry, aging skin, some might want a little lift with a subtle light to it instead of going very matte. It depends upon the person.

It's not a black-and-white, one-size-fits-all.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland