Regular Contributor

Shelf life of unopened philosophy's purity made simple?

Hi, all!  Just a quick question...

Does anyone know the approximate shelf life of (unopened) philosophy's purity made simple?  Was trying to find it online - maybe I'm just missing it.

Thanks for any help you can provide!! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Shelf life of unopened philosophy's purity made simple?

@the busy brunetteI don't, but I recently opened and am using a bottle that's been in my house for more than two years.  It smells like it should, it has the right consistency and the right Purity color, so I'm comfortable using it.

There's probably a way to date it from some numbers, but I don't know them.  I won't discard mine now even if someone explains it's past shelf life, but I wouldn't buy new with the same dates once I knew the dates.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I called them and they said opened 1 year and unopened 3-4 years if stored in cool dry place.  

If there is a code on the bottom you can also try this calculator.

http://checkcosmetic.net/

Regular Contributor

Thank you, @millieshops!!

Regular Contributor

Wow!  Thanks for checking, @Shawnie!  I appreciate it!

Respected Contributor

@Shawnie wrote:

I called them and they said opened 1 year and unopened 3-4 years if stored in cool dry place.  

If there is a code on the bottom you can also try this calculator.

http://checkcosmetic.net/

Amazing website, @Shawnie, and one we should all bookmark.

I'm taking the liberty of posting two Q&A from the FAQ because I've seen these questions asked here before, and I think a lof of beauties would find this info useful. Note: PAO means "period after opening," that number inside the graphic of the open jar on many cosmetic preparations.

7. What is average PAO for my mascara (lipstick, gloss etc)?

General period after opening is:

• Perfumes, perfume, edp – up to 3 years;
  • Powders (including blush, eyeshadows powdery texture) – 1 to 3 years;
  • Foundation in a jar or a cream powder – 1 to 3 years;
  • Liquid tone means (in tubes or jars with dispenser) – 1 year;
  • Nail polish – 1 year;
  • Sun cosmetics – 1 year (but no more than one season);
  • Lipstick, lip gloss – 1 year;
  • Pencil (Eye, Lip) – about 1 year;
  • Skin care products (hydrating cosmetics, wrinkle, eye contour) in a sealed packet with the pump – about a year, in a jar – from 6 to 10 months;
  • Solid eyeliner and eyebrow pencil – from 6 to 8 months;
  • Bronzing – 6 months;
  • Mascara – 3-6 months;
  • Liquid eyeliner – from 3 to 4 months;
  • Natural/Organic products – up to 6 months.

Please note that natural and organic cosmetics, which do not include preservatives, can be stored up to 6 months after opening. Reason: absence of preservatives leads to a proliferation of bacteria.

8. How can I determine that cosmetic has been expired / not fresh?

• The general rule is simple: as soon as you notice changes in your cosmetics – this means that the shelf life came to the end.
  • First of all, the smell: as soon as you feel any nasty notes, sharpness or rancidity, trash it.
  • Pay attention to appearance (sheen appears), texture (formed pellets, liquid consistency becomes heterogeneous), or gases have been formed in a tube – the shelf life is out!
  • It is very easy to determine “old age” mascara – as soon as it is dry, throw it away with no regrets, and in any case, do not try to “revive”.
  • Nail polish can be considered worthless, as soon as it began to thicken and harden.
  • Even if the recently purchased cosmetics were in the heat for quite a long time – do not use it anymore.
  • As a conclusion, if you have any suspicion about the appearance or odor of the product, it is better do not use it anymore. French National Institute for Consumer INC recommends do not use cosmetics after any visible changes in color, texture or odor.