Esteemed Contributor

Re: Shelf Life of Make Up and Lipsticks

Cosmetics don't age well. They go bad after a while. Especially lipsticks. And skincare in jar packaging.

When I watch youtube beauty influencers do a project pan video, it's like they are doing penance for having way too much makeup. It's crazy to have so much makeup that you never use and then you end up feeling guilty when it gets old and needs to be tossed out. That's why all those huge beauty eyeshadow pallettes seem to be overwhelming, you won't use them up when you don't like the colors or just get tired of them as you move on to the next best thing.

Respected Contributor

I keep a small notebook and log what I buy and the date. Have a section for each type of product. Then there is no question how old a product.

I have quit buying the next best thing and try to stick to products that I know work well. I think about how much money I have wasted over the many years.

If I want a fast fix, I buy a lipstickWoman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

I just threw out my Tarte palette of eye shadows I've had for about 2 years after I got a viral infection in my left eye. I also threw out a few lipsticks I never really liked and are at least 2 years old too. The ophthalmologist could not say for sure that the makeup caused the viral infection,  but she said to be safe, throw it out and don't get foundation near your eyes either.I think I'm giving up eye makeup, mascara and foundation, but I would fade away if I didn't wear lipstick, blush and eyebrow tint.

Honored Contributor

@AussieLuvr    My rule of thumb is if it doesn't smell or look bad, I keep it.  I have two eye shadows that are over 10 yrs. and still fine.  You can usually tell with lipstick as it will smell old/stale.  Powders last but since I set my tinted moisturizer with it, they don't last for more than 2 or 3 years.  No problems with blush, eye shadow sticks so far.  The only thing you should be concerned about are oils and I wish Josie and Acure would place a expiration date on their oils.  HeartCat Happy  

kindness is strength
Super Contributor

Oh Dear! I do NOT need an eye infection. I'm trying to get my dry eye under control aft er surgery on my eyelids two months ago, and the last thing I need is eye makeup causing me trouble. In the pail it goes!

I look at it this way -- if its still there ten years later and I haven't even used it, then I'm not going to be using it or missing it now.I might put it on a pallette board and try to use it in some of my multimedia artwork, though. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I've read that about two years should be the max.