Respected Contributor

So a couple years back I was mad into sheet masks. Fast forward, I’m very focused on my night time beauty routine(s). They usually say to rub the remaining product into your face affer a sheet mask and call it a night, which I’ve done. But the question I have is do you think the 10-15 minute incubation is enough to give a benefit followed by rinse off so I can follow up with my night routine? Or shouldi just sheet mask it and call it a night. Thanks to my skincare junkies.

Honored Contributor

Re: Sheet mask gals, your input

@Grouchomarx wrote:

So a couple years back I was mad into sheet masks. Fast forward, I’m very focused on my night time beauty routine(s). They usually say to rub the remaining product into your face affer a sheet mask and call it a night, which I’ve done. But the question I have is do you think the 10-15 minute incubation is enough to give a benefit followed by rinse off so I can follow up with my night routine? Or shouldi just sheet mask it and call it a night. Thanks to my skincare junkies.

@Grouchomarx Like you, I used to be more into them a couple of years ago than I am now.  These days I use them more as a follow up after a peel.  Sometimes I’ll use Skinn PM cleanser that way, but it needs to be rinsed off.  With the sheet mask, I rub in the excess product and call it a night.  

Regular Contributor

@GrouchomarxHi!  I was another sheet mask junkie a few years ago.  I wouldn't do a rinse off, I think that either you should wait for your skin to absorb the remaining liquid from the sheet mask and then follow with your normal night routine or just skip the night routine and give your skin a breather from extra products the night you use the sheet mask.  You will know what's best depending on how hydrated or dehydrated your skin is at the moment.

Honored Contributor

The way I see it is that the only difference between a sheet mask and a toner/watery essence is that you are sitting there with a drenched paper or gelly mask on top of the liquid for a bit. The format just helps with penetration and absorption a little bit.

So if the mask formula is a treatment that should have a time limit to it--like an exfoliator--then it makes sense to rinse it off. If it's a bunch of botanicals or other actives, might as well leave it on like any other essence.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

I don't think you have to call it a night if you leave on a mask. You could follow with whatever products made sense to you. But certainly you could also end there if you wanted to and you felt the mask alone was enough for your skin.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

I also use sheet masks, the instructions say after 20 minutes moisturize. I’d therefore assume that’s enough 

time.

Respected Contributor

I've never rinse after using a sheet mask. Why rinse off that goodness? (Unless the specific mask instructs you to!)

I treat my sheet masks like a serum. I rub what's left in the package on my chest, the backs of my hands, and my forearms. When the time is up, I crumple the mask up and rub that all over my hands again. Then I apply the rest of my skincare, just like I would if I'd just used one of my serums.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You can make your own sheet masks. One-time-use DIY sheet masks are sold without anything in them. Just add your own stuff to them.

Personally, I don't use sheets masks. I think there is a lot product that gets wasted in them when you throw out the masks. I'd rather apply a product directly to my skin. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

You can make your own sheet masks. One-time-use DIY sheet masks are sold without anything in them. Just add your own stuff to them.

Ah, but half the fun is trying different things! Smiley Happy

I subscribe to a Sheet Mask box that sends me 7 different sheet masks a month and I get to try out all kinds of things. The company is Facestory and you can sign up for a box or 4 or 7 masks a month.

Esteemed Contributor

I usually just massage the serum into my skin, pat an oil over it and call it a night.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org