Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

When a woman goes grey  or white it is a DECISION. Someone  is always  going to say it makes you look older...or doesn't look as good as colored.  Remarks like that bounce off when you really want to stop the color war.  

When you  truely  decide to accept your natural color of grey, and stop coloring,  it is enlightening .... empowering. Obviously Sharon was not ready for that step.... 

I just knew when I was ready.Chopped off my long  colored hair  to short short, and grew out my beautiful natural healthy hair.  Never looked back...7 years now with white hair. 

@SeaMaiden Sharon didn't go naturally grey.  She went fake grey which is a fad these days.  

Honored Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@Icegoddess you mention that you use a color conditioner.  If you don't mind my asking, can this be used in the shower?  I have been interested in these products but have been afraid they would stain my skin, which is very dry and absorbs everything.  I get my hair colored in a salon, so I don't shower color over me.  I have a hard time removing any stray bit of color from my face, body.  Thanks for sharing!

@NYCLatinaMe While you can use this in the shower, you'll get a better payoff if you let it sit in your hair for a bit.  It is a semi-permanent color mixed with conditioner.  The instructions say 3-20 minutes.  I do the 20 minutes.  It's stronger than a lot of the color conditioners I have used in the past and I would recommend using gloves.  I do my normal shower and after I get out I first comb through my hair with a wide-tooth comb and then apply and comb again to try and better distribute it so as to not end up with any blotichiness.  After 20 minutes I wash it out with my head turned upside down under the tub faucet.  

The product is dp HUE and I got it on Amazon.  I use the Copper color.  I would like a deeper color, but all the reds I can find are too bright.

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

When a woman goes grey  or white it is a DECISION. Someone  is always  going to say it makes you look older...or doesn't look as good as colored.  Remarks like that bounce off when you really want to stop the color war.  

When you  truely  decide to accept your natural color of grey, and stop coloring,  it is enlightening .... empowering. Obviously Sharon was not ready for that step.... 

I just knew when I was ready.Chopped off my long  colored hair  to short short, and grew out my beautiful natural healthy hair.  Never looked back...7 years now with white hair. 

@SeaMaiden I did the exact same thing. It's been 10 years for me. Very happy with my very short silver hair and I get compliments on it constantly. 

Super Contributor

Jane Fonda has been wearing wigs for 30 years at least

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks @Icegoddess for the explanation.  Very helpful!

Honored Contributor

@Auntie CC wrote:

Jane Fonda has been wearing wigs for 30 years at least

@Auntie CC    and she wears them very well!

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@SeaMaiden Sharon didn't go naturally grey.  She went fake grey which is a fad these days.  

@Icegoddess   I understood that she was white under the color... and wanted to stop coloring to cover up the white.  Guess I was wrong.   

Valued Contributor

Yes! @candyagain , this is my problem too. So many family members have had the luck to grey or silver very handsomely - no such luck for me!

"Behold! We are not bound forever to the circles of the world, and beyond them is more than memory." J.R.R. Tolkien
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Icegoddess   I understood that she was white under the color... and wanted to stop coloring to cover up the white.  Guess I was wrong.   

@SeaMaiden I have no idea what she had underneath.  I don't keep up with her.  But, the pic I saw of her with her new grey hair did not look like a natural grey to me.  Also, someone else said she had a lot of breakage.  You can remove hair color from your hair without damaging it even at home (I've done it), but that only removes added hair color, so I have to believe they bleached her to remove all her natural color as well which would damage the hair and cause breakage.  

Kim K went grey at one point and I saw her on Family Feud and there was a big chunk of broken off hair on the underside.  

Honored Contributor

I noticed a model who models plus size clothing went grey... her hair looks like straw.  And it does not look good on her... it looks like fake grey hair.  It s really hard to make fake grey look natural.  You really can't.