Super Contributor

Sharing My Story: A More Natural Approach to Beauty

[ Edited ]

After discovering a beauty/health/lifestyle blog, Minimalist Beauty, I've been inspired to ditch my facial cleanser, Clarisonic, sulfur ointment (my acne treatment), and moisturizer, and cleanse, moisturize, and treat my face using only oils high in linoleic acid, since my skin is acne prone; it's been found that skin with acne is deficient in linoleic acid, and that deficiency can lead to a thickening of our skin's sebum, which hardens and clogs pores, thus creating acne. The creator of the blog, Dawn Michelle, has done this for over a year with great success. I cleansed with maracuja oil for 2 weeks (since I had it on hand) and started using organic pumpkin seed oil a week ago tomorrow. Organic pumpkin seed oil is Dawn's oil of choice, and from my research, it contains great things for your skin and for combatting acne, such as Vitamin E and zinc, and I've read other stories of those with acne (and those without!) finding happiness and success with pumpkin seed oil. So far, there hasn't been a drastic difference, but I have noticed that aside from a few new or worsening blemishes as my skin adjusts, it's beginning to look more radiant. Pure and simple really appeals to me.

It's also inspired me to take a more natural approach with my makeup. I've recently (in the last week or so) been using samples of Alima Pure's Satin Matte Foundation and blush, and their Balancing Primer Powder. I ordered full sizes of the Primer Powder, finishing powder, and foundation this past weekend, which are now waiting for me when I get home. It's all natural, mineral based products, and I think it offers awesome pigmentation and coverage, especially as my skin is adjusting to oil cleansing. The fact that it's natural and won't clog pores is a bonus. I'd encourage anyone, on a natural journey or otherwise, to check them out. You can get samples of just about any product for $1.75 each (you also get a few uses out of their samples, which is nice)!

I'm a huge IT girl, so giving up my precious IT Cosmetics has been a little tough, but I'm hoping that by using makeup and skin care free of chemicals and stuff I have no idea what it is or how to say it, my skin will be happier. It's early in my journey to makeup optional skin, so change is slow in coming, but I believe in it and will stick with it. Anyone else want to share their "natural" beauty journey, successes, or failures?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Sharing My Story: A More Natural Approach to Beauty

How nice to read your post!

I have often linked Minimalist Beauty's website for other posters. Hers was the first truly excellent explanation that identified the different skin types and skin success with the different oils.

My skin is the opposite of acne prone, and I only occasionally do oil cleansing. So far, it seems I can use any kind of oil in any ratio of linoleic and linolenic acids, but I certainly have my favorites.

Will be interesting to see if anyone else is on this kind of journey.

Trusted Contributor

@SparklyTiara, it is so good of you to share your story and congratulations! Cutting out all products to the very minimum like this takes a great deal of courage and will-power.

I think that for many of us in this forum, this approach would feel like cutting off a limb Smiley LOL.

I Discovered That I Can Be Myself Without the Sky Falling In
New Contributor

Thank you for posting this. It's nice to hear when you don't need a million different items to get good results as well as breaking the bank with some off the products out there. I currently only use Burt's Bees facial wipes to remove makeup and Full of Grace face serum fom LUSH. I have cut back a lot on using so many products. I really like the idea of using raw honey for a cleanser. I too have acne prone skin and most products are too drying for me. And I love beauty blogs so I will definitly check out the one you recommended.

Respected Contributor

I am not there yet but am getting there. Once I get through some things, I will start to reduce the amount of products I am actually using. The other morning, it occurred to me that I am using at least 8 different lotions and potions between my face and body just in the morning alone. And that's not even including mu, if I wear it. I will buy organic or more natural products only when I am ready to use them. I have tossed some organic/natural products because they expired, just couldnt get to them. I am not willing to take a chance using them since they dont have the preservatives. I have heard a lot about Alima and want to try their foundation. You dont find it drying?
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wow. Thank you so much, ladies, for being so kind.

@Harpa: I completely agree with you. I found her so educational and helpful! I visit her blog regularly now. I'm envious of your being able to use any oil. What are some of your favorites?

@Adelina: Thank you so much! I think it was a bit easier for me because I've always tried to take a less is more approach to makeup and skin care, because of my acne prone skin. Full coverage makeup, yes, but few products. Facial cleanser, some sort of acne treatment, moisturizer--nothing more. I tried to be careful with ingredients, too, but eventually, a lightbulb went off: are any of them really 100% good for my skin? Or even a little bit beneficial?

@Sparky217: Congratulations on cutting back. It's liberating, isn't it? It's funny that you mention raw honey: Dawn Michelle talked about it, and is currently using manuka honey as a face wash. It's a pretty interesting and enlightening blog. I don't read everything, like the fashion or environmental stuff, but I find the beauty and health portions so interesting. Let me know what you think!

@aprilskies: Incorporating natural/organic products in gradually is probably the smartest way to do it. That way, your skin has less of a chance of freaking out from quitting everything cold turkey, or trying all new things all at once, like me lol. The no preservatives thing can certainly be an issue (and a money waster), but if you use one or two products exclusively, you'll probably use them before they expire. That's awesome that you're considering venturing into natural/organic beauty products at all, though. I don't think you're alone with your 8 lotions and potions; it's not hard to do. As far as Alima Pure: I don't find it at all drying! Along with nice coverage, it has a beautiful finish. You can't go wrong with buying a few samples! I'd love to know what you think if you try them. I'd also like to hear about how your natural/organic journey goes, too, when you're ready to start. Good luck!