Contributor

Shanus, need some help please.

What color + product do you use to contour?  I was going to use bronzer, but, I think you said not to.  I am not sure what would be good to use.  I do need it.  Thank you very much in advance.

Respected Contributor

Re: Shanus, need some help please.

@Sue4802 Not Shanus, so excuse my butt in.

If you have a bronzer try it. If it's not shimmery, the color may work for you.

The theory is that a contour color should be more grey to look like a shadow on your face, but I have a matte bronzer that works quite nicely to gently contour my face.

I also have a shade buy Fenty (Cream Bronzer in Buttah Biscuit) that is more cool/grey toned, that works very well.

Fenty does list them as Bronzer colors, but to use for contour.

You may also have an eye shadow shade that will work.

Contributor

Thank you so much Dusty1.   I will check that product out.  I really need to contour.  I'm just starting to learn more about how to contour right.  I keep thinking I'll have lines on my face.  Thank you again for your help.

Honored Contributor

Concealer in a slightly darker tone works for me.    

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

I agree with @Dusty1, you can use a bronzer as long as it's not too warm or shimmery.  I also agree that some eyeshadows can work well.  Just as bronzers can work great as eyeshadows, eyeshadows can also work great at contours.

As @Desertdi said, a concealer also works well if it's a darker color.  

Also, try contouring both over and under your foundation and see what works best for you.  I have found that I can use a warmer, darker color under my foundation whereas if I use it over my foundation, I need a lighter, cooler color.

Experiment with different placements too.  A lot depends on your bone structure.  I've seen some women put bronzer/contour on their forehead and it looks great, but because I have a smallish forehead it looks awful on me.

Good luck and have fun experimenting!

Honored Contributor

FWD:   @Shanus 

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Contributor

Thank you very much to all who replied.  I didn't think of those ideas.  They sound great.  I do appreciate your help very much.   Thank you.

Honored Contributor

I would just buy a contour palette. Those usually come with some instructions and if not then there are plenty of videos online to show you how to apply contour products. I would stick to a palette with just 3 shades in it so it's easier. 

Top-Rated Smashbox Step-By-Step Contour Kit - $35

Respected Contributor

There is a youtube video by makeup artist Lisa Eldrige called "Bronzer vs Contour Seamless Application for Everyday" She explains in full & also according to skintone. @Sue4802 

Esteemed Contributor

If you want another idea for a palette:

from It cosmetics

You Sculpted!™ Universal Contouring Palette for Face and Body