Respected Contributor

@Shanus I have a question about blush.....

I always read your responses and was wondering how you choose what blush is best with a certain eyeshadow color? Do you pair a cool tone blush with a cool tone eyeshadow look? I am always wondering which blush to wear, so when I apply blush it’s very very light because I don’t want someone to notice it’s not the right tone. I hope that makes sense. Thanks for any advice you or any of you gals can give. I appreciate it! 🙂

Honored Contributor

Re: @Shanus I have a question about blush.....

Evidently I have been wearing makeup wrong all my life.  It never occurred to me to match blush with eyeshadow.  I always used a blush that looked good on me and wore whatever eye color I was in the mood for.

It will be interesting to see what Shanus has to say.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

Evidently I have been wearing makeup wrong all my life.  It never occurred to me to match blush with eyeshadow.  I always used a blush that looked good on me and wore whatever eye color I was in the mood for.

It will be interesting to see what Shanus has to say.

I agree. I always worry about getting it right, and I know people say it should be fun, but I want it to look good. She always has great tips and information so I’m all ears when she does reply. 

Honored Contributor

I think because blush covers a larger area than your eyelids, you should choose a blush that looks right on your face, not try to match cool with cool or warm with warm shades.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@wvumountiefan wrote:

I always read your responses and was wondering how you choose what blush is best with a certain eyeshadow color? Do you pair a cool tone blush with a cool tone eyeshadow look? I am always wondering which blush to wear, so when I apply blush it’s very very light because I don’t want someone to notice it’s not the right tone. I hope that makes sense. Thanks for any advice you or any of you gals can give. I appreciate it! 🙂

@wvumountiefan   Blush is tough for so many, lots of women just give up and don't wear it anymore. It's best to do your makeup according to what shades look well on you. Don't match clothing to makeup. I can wear a red top, but not red lipstick...too bright for me. I still wear a pink/rose/beige shade. I do my makeup, choose shadow, lip and blush shades while still in my robe & have no idea what I'll be wearing, but although I vary the shades, I still stay within the cool/neutral undertones.  OK, your question. The best look is for your face colors be co-ordinated. I would use warm lipstick shades with warm shades of blush on women with warm coloring. That said, it means you'd also be wearing warmer eye shadows, as well. I'm cool/neutral  toned, but changed from cool beige/taupe/brown shadow when let my hair go grey. My hair color definitely changed my eye shadow shades to more cool colors of lavenders/grey/pale pink. Eye shadow has nothing to do with blush. Lip color and blush should be in the same family. I use cream blushes as I've gotten older and it's easy for me to use my pink toned lipstick also on my cheeks. No guess work. If you use powder blush, just be sure that a warm peach/brown shade is also worn with a similar shade of lipstick. Again, if you're looking great in those tones, cool eye shadows should look off to you. If you're not sure whether you're cool or warm, you can go neutral: pinky/peach like NARS O blush and Clinique Pink Spice lipstick...one of my go to shades for lips/cheeks. I'll try to post a pic of it separately. Did I confuse you?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JustJazzmom wrote:

I think because blush covers a larger area than your eyelids, you should choose a blush that looks right on your face, not try to match cool with cool or warm with warm shades.

@JustJazzmom   Everyone can do as they please, but my explanation is based on what I was taught. If you don't like to co-ordinate colors, certainly you can do as you please. After all, it's your face. No aguements here. BTW, blush should not cover a large area of your face...larger than shadow. It should be a small crescent of color high on the cheekbone, placed 2 fingers away from the nose and then blended well up into the hairline. Weird trying to describe this in writing without using my hands. Hope it made sense. It's also important to remember that too bright a blush or placed on the apples like we did when younger can be aging. 

Honored Contributor

@wvumountiefan  CLINIQUE PINK SPICE

C980B15E-1138-452D-B655-95163E101B0E.jpeg

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@wvumountiefan  CLINIQUE PINK SPICE

C980B15E-1138-452D-B655-95163E101B0E.jpeg

I love this color @Shanus !  Wow.  This is very pretty.  And this comes from a Coco Chanel red lipstick girl.  Oh la la.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Misplaced Parisian   Certainly could never tell I'm an artist. Lol. Never knew how difficult it was to draw w/ a moisturizing lip color!!! 🤪 This is my every day, grab and go, always in my bag shade. Would love to try red, but just don't feel comfie yet. I keep trying!

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Misplaced Parisian   Certainly could never tell I'm an artist. Lol. Never knew how difficult it was to draw w/ a moisturizing lip color!!! 🤪

@Shanus  I totally knew that was a set of lips.  You did abfab, darling.